• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I was taking pictures of my old Treasuries-- mostly Marvel -- and found some interesting stuff that piqued my interest.

First-- from the #5 Hulk -- in the back, a couple of cool pages:

1843098216_Treasury5-d.thumb.jpg.471f1bdb32d89fca1f5ed56912140cca.jpg

This one shows various artist versions of the Hulk in a pinup.

407619129_Treasury5-c.thumb.jpg.9c4e3542ce6b43635ea6451d11bdd963.jpg

Back page featuring the covers with an ad to buy the previous treasuries-- with extra charges.

more to come

I remember trying to guess all those Hulk artists as a kid, and loved seeing the covers of the comics that were reprinted because back then I had never seen them before.:cloud9:

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

In today.  I’ve never understood how this wound up as a Marvel book... to the point I almost wonder if it was a production error.  Anybody know the story?

I've been poking around for some time to try to find out more about this, but it seems to be just another Whitman mystery.

The Buck Rogers book also appears in a scarcer Whitman version (picture below). This seems to be harder to find than the Marvel edition, and Overstreet values it about 10% higher. Both editions were published in 1979, when Marvel and Western/Whitman seem to have had a deal to package treasury editions with both Whitman and Marvel labels. This was done primarily on movie adaptations (including Close Encounters of the Third Kind and multiple Star Wars editions), although it also occurred with some random issues of Marvel Treasury Edition.

Marvel also tried this approach with other publishers, including Charlton reprint publisher Modern Comics (with a Battlestar Galactic treasury) and Parkes Run (for The Empire Strikes Back and GI Joe).

Whitman also used the same approach with DC Comics, publishing Whitman editions of the Famous First Edition Superman #1 treasury, and the Muhammad Ali vs. Superman Treasury.

All were published between 1978 and 1982, as far as I can tell.

buck.jpg

CE3K.jpg

starwars.jpg

33 minutes ago, Brock said:

I've been poking around for some time to try to find out more about this, but it seems to be just another Whitman mystery.

The Buck Rogers book also appears in a scarcer Whitman version (picture below). This seems to be harder to find than the Marvel edition, and Overstreet values it about 10% higher. Both editions were published in 1979, when Marvel and Western/Whitman seem to have had a deal to package treasury editions with both Whitman and Marvel labels. This was done primarily on movie adaptations (including Close Encounters of the Third Kind and multiple Star Wars editions), although it also occurred with some random issues of Marvel Treasury Edition.

Marvel also tried this approach with other publishers, including Charlton reprint publisher Modern Comics (with a Battlestar Galactic treasury) and Parkes Run (for The Empire Strikes Back and GI Joe).

Whitman also used the same approach with DC Comics, publishing Whitman editions of the Famous First Edition Superman #1 treasury, and the Muhammad Ali vs. Superman Treasury.

All were published between 1978 and 1982, as far as I can tell.

For me, the weird thing on the Buck Rogers is it's the only one of those cross-publisher treasuries where Western actually produced the content.  In every other case it was Whitman (Or Parkes Run, or Modern) releasing a book the other publisher had created.

Like I said, my guess (and it's a very weak guess) is a production error, similar to the Marvel Dennis the Menace digests with the DC logo in the UPC.  That or Western made a one-time deal with Marvel to use the logo to distinguish between returnable and non-returnable books.

Happy to have it in any case.  I've still got a long way to go with the actual Marvel Treasury Edition series (I've got less than half), and I don't have any of the Hanna-Barbera ones, but of the other assorted Marvel treasuries I'm down to just Annie on my need list.

11 hours ago, speedcake said:
On 7/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, 01TheDude said:

749325536_Treasury2-c.thumb.jpg.7a4b23452980584069257db4400c6f7d.jpg

This one is in #2 FF - shows a cool drawing of the Baxter Building

Call me skeptical, but that rocket blast scheme seems iffy...

well if you look at the very fine print on the left-- it says an updated version of the Baxter Building was coming soon. Did that ever happen?

I've also always wondered why it was named the Baxter Building.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:03 AM, batmiesta said:

Reacquired a nice pence copy of #4 .  

Hey Bats,

I gotta imagine the UK treasury editions are much tougher in HG - lower print runs, I assume?  Were they popular when they came out?