• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

Here are the Marvel one shots I don't have, if anyone would like to post:

1978 - Star Wars #3

1978 - Close Encounters

1978 - Yogi Bear's Easter Parade

1978 - Laff-A-Lympics

1979 - Buck Rogers (Western Publishing - 1st Print)

1981 - Hulk vs. Batman

1982 - G.I. Joe

1982 - Smurfs

On 7/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, OtherEric said:

I went with a beat up copy, as I didn't want to pay what a high grade copy would go for... I haven't been big into collecting Smurfs since I was about 9.  (My sister still has them all, though; and she's not allowed to get rid of them without asking me.)

I've posted the front cover before, but the picture was lousy.  Figured out later my phone case had dust trapped in the camera window.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 8/4/2020 at 9:31 AM, Brock said:

I've been poking around for some time to try to find out more about this, but it seems to be just another Whitman mystery.

The Buck Rogers book also appears in a scarcer Whitman version (picture below). This seems to be harder to find than the Marvel edition, and Overstreet values it about 10% higher. Both editions were published in 1979, when Marvel and Western/Whitman seem to have had a deal to package treasury editions with both Whitman and Marvel labels. This was done primarily on movie adaptations (including Close Encounters of the Third Kind and multiple Star Wars editions), although it also occurred with some random issues of Marvel Treasury Edition.

Marvel also tried this approach with other publishers, including Charlton reprint publisher Modern Comics (with a Battlestar Galactic treasury) and Parkes Run (for The Empire Strikes Back and GI Joe).

Whitman also used the same approach with DC Comics, publishing Whitman editions of the Famous First Edition Superman #1 treasury, and the Muhammad Ali vs. Superman Treasury.

All were published between 1978 and 1982, as far as I can tell.

CE3K.jpg

On 8/4/2020 at 9:31 AM, Brock said:

I've been poking around for some time to try to find out more about this, but it seems to be just another Whitman mystery.

The Buck Rogers book also appears in a scarcer Whitman version (picture below). This seems to be harder to find than the Marvel edition, and Overstreet values it about 10% higher. Both editions were published in 1979, when Marvel and Western/Whitman seem to have had a deal to package treasury editions with both Whitman and Marvel labels. This was done primarily on movie adaptations (including Close Encounters of the Third Kind and multiple Star Wars editions), although it also occurred with some random issues of Marvel Treasury Edition.

Marvel also tried this approach with other publishers, including Charlton reprint publisher Modern Comics (with a Battlestar Galactic treasury) and Parkes Run (for The Empire Strikes Back and GI Joe).

Whitman also used the same approach with DC Comics, publishing Whitman editions of the Famous First Edition Superman #1 treasury, and the Muhammad Ali vs. Superman Treasury.

All were published between 1978 and 1982, as far as I can tell.

buck.jpg