• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The SKY is FALLING!!!

70 posts in this topic

In a perfect world what do you think CGC SHOULD do?

In my own perfect world, they'd go back to the old case until all issues are worked out. That includes reducing the Newton rings, eliminating the waviness, and making sure the book is SAFELY and securely held in place rather than being pinned down.

While figuring all that out, I'd love to see them tweak the label so it's a hybrid of the old and new label. My biggest beef is the grade box overlapping the header.

What I do like is that the case feels sturdier than the old, I like the top header being inside the case, I like the idea of not having the oversized cases for Giant Size. I like that they stack well. None of these things make up for the feeling that thousands of dollars of comics could be encapsulated in something that could do them harm, especially concerned for my signature series books.

That's not an option. The material they used to make the case is no longer available. This has been discussed ad nauseum, but I can understand how you would have missed it, since every meaningful post gets clipped.

Not exactly the situation. The material for the inner holder - Barex - has dwindling supplies. There is no material problem for the outer holder

CGC obviously still has some Barex supplies, as magazines continue to be slabbed in the old holders.

CGC could attempt to source more Barex to go back to the old holders for a few months. Or they could use a substitute material just for the inner holder. Barex was used widely in packaging pharmaceuticals - and several substitutes have been switched over too in the past year. PETG and COC seem to have emerged as the two most common.

Do you have any info on why barex is not being produced anymore? I can't find info anywhere but I have seen many people talking about this.

[Do you have any info on why barex is not being produced anymore? I can't find info anywhere but I have seen many people talking about this.

Google "barex" for a start. Here are some of the search results on page 1:

(Oct. 2014) INEOS announces planned closure of Barex plant

David Schmidt, CEO of INEOS Barex said “We regret having to take the decision to close our Barex plant and wind-down the Barex business. The business has been struggling financially for a number of years. We have worked diligently to reduce costs and improve profitability, but have been unsuccessful in turning around the business. We will work with our customers and employees to ensure an orderly closure of the Barex business over the coming months.”

(Oct. 2014) Ineos closing Barex plant, exiting business

Materials maker Ineos Group is closing its only global Barex-brand polyacrylonitrile (PAN) resin plant in Lima, Ohio. Ineos – based in Rolle, Switzerland – is exiting the business as a result of the closing, which will take place in the first quarter of 2015. Barex is often used as a barrier layer in packaging applications. The material was commercialized in 1975 by oil and gas firm Sohio, which later sold the business to British Petroleum plc, which then sold it to Ineos.

Tough time to be this guy:

[Do you have any info on why barex is not being produced anymore? I can't find info anywhere but I have seen many people talking about this.

Google is not his friend. :cry:

what is the Google? :makepoint:

BGzUpGZ.jpg

BGzUpGZ.jpg

^^

Not exactly the situation. The material for the inner holder - Barex - has dwindling supplies. There is no material problem for the outer holder

CGC obviously still has some Barex supplies, as magazines continue to be slabbed in the old holders.

CGC could attempt to source more Barex to go back to the old holders for a few months. Or they could use a substitute material just for the inner holder. Barex was used widely in packaging pharmaceuticals - and several substitutes have been switched over too in the past year. PETG and COC seem to have emerged as the two most common.

Just did a brief Google search about Barex closing its plant in Ohio -- and skimmed a couple of articles. From the sound of it, there are a handful of other plastics out there that could be used as a replacement. The catch is that it's probably very expensive to get set up with them as long-term manufacturers, and many of them are likely overseas.

Some other questions that come to mind: What kind of plastic do the competitors use for their holders, and are those plastics an option for CGC? Was the new holder design something that CGC was planning to do before the Barex plant shutdown anyway, or did they do as an emergency response to the situation?

Voldemort uses PETG. It's inexpensive, it's clear. Similar to the PET - which is the plastic your (clear) bottled water most likely comes in. I find it hard to believe that it's any more expensive than Barex was when Barex was still being produced. PGX also uses Barex, so they will be searching for a replacement soon themselves.

I doubt suppliers that provide the actually formed or molded products are overseas. There are lots of injection, extrusion and molded plastics businesses in the USA. There are several here in Evansville, Indiana - a town of 100,000 people. Some of the raw plastic material might be sourced overseas, but it's safe bet the suppliers of the inner and outer holders are here in the USA - if not actually in the same area as CGC