• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Lady 17 vs. 23
1 1

Phantom Lady 17 or 23  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Phantom Lady 17 or 23

88 posts in this topic

I'd rank PL 18 over both.

18 is my favorite Phantom Lady as well. I like the design/ layout of the cover, aesthetically the best in my opinion.

I had a very nice copy of 18 that I recently sold. I know it went to a great home, but I miss it terribly:

Phantom%20Lady%2018%20CGC%206.5%20front_zpsa51m3rtu.jpg

As to the comparison, I prefer the 17. Her facial expression, the body pose, it exudes sexuality.

Great book Karl!!!! She's a beaut!!! :applause:

No contest for me. I've never liked PL 17: Her hair is weird, what's going on with the ropes? and her hands are poorly drawn. PL 23, otoh, is :cloud9: .

I was happy to pick up this copy. (That dang grease pencil number, though! :cry: )

lf_zpsiggmpqio.jpg

Absolutely stunning copy!!!! (worship)

+1

Actually, you need the grease pencil mark there. Otherwise, how in the world would anybody know that was issue #23. doh!lol

I prefer 18 over both as well. In fact I prefer #13 over the other 2 as well. While not as, "sexy" As the others I still find it more intriguing (thumbs u

(thumbs u

9cc8c10c-a344-4825-9a75-d2565a6a519f_zps53e2821e.jpg

I love this cover and think it's great stuff, etc., but I have to say that the "sex appeal" factor is diminished significantly by that yellow hand!

Maybe for you! :devil:

kinky

Now that I consider 17 and 18 with the Feldstein angle in mind... I can almost agree. The hands, especially on 18, do resemble Feldstein's style. The hands are not as good as Baker is capable of... but the faces on both issues, I believe, are much better than anything I've seen Feldstein do. Perhaps there was collaboration between the two artists.

Now that I consider 17 and 18 with the Feldstein angle in mind... I can almost agree. The hands, especially on 18, do resemble Feldstein's style. The hands are not as good as Baker is capable of... but the faces on both issues, I believe, are much better than anything I've seen Feldstein do. Perhaps there was collaboration between the two artists.
It is not possible to rule this out. Fox ran a shop where work was divided up to produce it as quickly and cheaply as possible and interviews with some of the artists indicated work could be divided like this. Alternatively, Feldstein and others could have swiped from other Baker panels or just done a good job of imitating his style.

It is not possible to rule this out. Fox ran a shop where work was divided up to produce it as quickly and cheaply as possible and interviews with some of the artists indicated work could be divided like this. Alternatively, Feldstein and others could have swiped from other Baker panels or just done a good job of imitating his style.

Might also be Feldstein inks over Baker pencils. hm

When I first started collecting PL I thought 23 was better, then after I got my first 17 it wasn't really a contest anymore.

So, you are saying after you got your first PL 17, it confirmed for you that PL 23 was indeed the better cover. :baiting:

No. 17 is the more iconic cover. Her look, her pose, she is every bit a superhero on this cover. Her hair is wild and untamed as she breaks free from her constraints, her breasts thrusting in defiance. Her look is sultry and dangerous. Her eyes say, don't mess with me, yet it is a very sexy look. This is the cover that got Wertham's panties in a knot. This is the only cover to be reproduced in full in SOTI. This is Phantom Lady 17.

I'm going to go completely left field and say #15 is hands down my favourite cover. Cool pose and a slight tinge of creepiness with what's going on. Matt Baker too.

f1b365881caa6f169879cb0cb31b5d0dd909cda4.jpg

#17 is probably my second favourite or at least close. #23 is ok but doesn't stand out much to me.

No contest for me. I've never liked PL 17: Her hair is weird, what's going on with the ropes? and her hands are poorly drawn. PL 23, otoh, is :cloud9: .

I was happy to pick up this copy. (That dang grease pencil number, though! :cry: )

lf_zpsiggmpqio.jpg

You're a ^^

When I first started collecting PL I thought 23 was better, then after I got my first 17 it wasn't really a contest anymore.

So, you are saying after you got your first PL 17, it confirmed for you that PL 23 was indeed the better cover. :baiting:

(tsk):boo:

I love 15, but she's not facing the reader like 17.

Matt was showing us a side view of Phantom Lady twerking.

Hey it was the GA and the general public wasn't ready for full frontal twerk poses yet... (tsk)

OK, I just saw this thread.

Phantom Lady 18 is what got me into golden age GGA. It is the first book I bought in this genre- a F/VF copy back in 1995 or so. It is my favorite, but maybe for sentimental reasons. I sold it around 2001 and I regretted it ever since. I have a 3.5 ish copy now and am looking to upgrade.Mine has great color but it has some cover issues. I had a resto copy before that- I kind of wish I would have kept it too.

I 100% agree with (shrug) Sqeggs (shrug) about PL 23 being superior. I have had 5 copies of PL 17 over the years and it took me until a few months ago to get my first PL 23. So, for me it is PL 18 in 1st and PL 23 in second. I definitely think 23 is HTF.

Heresy time now :whistle: ; I hate looking at PL 17- the freaking hands drive me nuts. I am sorry, I know this is the iconic cover, but to me PL 17 is not for me- not that I would turn another one down ;)

Pictures follow of my current 18, 23, and one of my last PL 17.

41031720-31F0-43A1-B019-C437D6BCBE16_zpsydqmyrp1.jpg

71A0F776-71CE-4898-A39A-C71357AE3F81_zpst6yyfhoq.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2022%201%2039%2030%20PM_zps6rgsis6e.jpg