• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In desperation...

131 posts in this topic

There comes a time in every collection where a choice must be made. Is it the comics or the quality of life that comes first? Is it the love for a hobby that you have had since age 9 or the love of a wife and home that you've had for far less time? Unfortunately it's a question that has come up in the last few days that has kept me from sleeping and from being happy. The choice is obvious... comics can always be purchased again. With all luck the wife is beyond replaceable... and she is.

In the next week we will find out if the comics will leave or not. The sad thing is that the thought of the collection going bye bye literally brings tears to my eyes. I've been at this a loooong time. The idea of selling it all off hurts badly. I have comics that I've had since I was 9 (granted... it's ONLY 20 years) and some of them are from my brother that I wish I was closer to. But in the end some things have to matter more then others. Comics have to be the disposable items.

Anybody else here have to make the hard decision? (If I've mis-spealt anything I appolagize... I'm on my 4th 32 once White Russian.... affects the senses.)

Please share and make me feel better. I know I'm not one of the hugely popular people on here such as Greggy (please no graemlin only posts) and our beloved Joanna (your post are just incredible), but I would still like to hear some responses. Look past me and share your sob stories of remorse.

I have heart breakign decisions to make too. My girlfriend (who is only 18) suffers badly from arthritis. She can't work and i am a student so all i have is a part-time job and my student loan. Sometimes when things are tight and we have to get medication a few comics have to be sold. It is a difficult thign to do but in the end if sellign those comics eases the pain she is in then it was all worth it in the end. A comic is re-purchasable, the person you love is not.

Hang in there man and hopefully it makes you feel a little better to know that there are other people out there in the same position as you. smile.gif

I have heart breakign decisions to make too. My girlfriend (who is only 18) suffers badly from arthritis

That stinks KM...my brother has had the same affliction since early teens...however..he subdues the pain using large quantities of a certain legal liquid drug from Canada...

Apotheosis, why does it have to be either/or? Can you share a little more of the backstory? Why are you having to choose?

And my first piece of advice would be to not crawl inside a bottle.

I have heart breakign decisions to make too. My girlfriend (who is only 18) suffers badly from arthritis

That stinks KM...my brother has had the same affliction since early teens...however..he subdues the pain using large quantities of a certain legal liquid drug from Canada...

What liquid drug is this? Is it available in the uk? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I feel your pain, and it is a tough decision. I made that same desicion the first time I got married, and it was one of the big mistakes I have made in my life looking back now. Every situation is different, and your wife is not the same as my ex-wife. You gotta do what you think is best.

Apotheosis, why does it have to be either/or? Can you share a little more of the backstory? Why are you having to choose?

And my first piece of advice would be to not crawl inside a bottle.

That's what I'm saying....I need a little more info before I can start doling out advice. grin.gif

BTW - Happy Bday, Tilleycs. thumbsup2.gif

I have been selling off my collection for the past year. Originally, I was planning to sell 80% of it. Once that was gone, I reevaluated and began selling off another 10%. In the next month or so that will be gone. When that portion is gone, I have already decided to sell another 5%. Quite honestly, in the end, I will probably end up selling 99% of what I began with, which will leave me with about a dozen or so books total.

Taking the first step is the hardest. Once the ball gets rolling, and you start to make some money, it becomes easier. There have been several times that I have hesitated to sell a particular book but an offer would be made that seemed too good too be true, so I sold.

Sort out the books that mean the most to you and sell those last. Sell off the easily replaceable books first. For me, the more I sold the easier it was to sell. Of course, I am assuming that you will be selling them in singles or small lots yourself and not in one big chunk to a dealer. If that is the case, then it may be more difficult to let them go.

Good luck!

lda.jpg

lda.jpg

*cackle* I can see how that would work laugh.gif

"This collecting borders on mental illness. You think to yourself (on a daily basis I may add)... "If ONLY I get this I'll be HAPPY." You are in glee waiting for the mail. Once it arrives, you put it in a box or drawer and hardly look at it. Shortly thereafter you need something else. It is a bottomless pit almost.

Jack" Quote from Multicynic

I don't know your exact circumstance but I suggest keeping a couple that have a a intrinsic value to you. That will probably be a hard thing to do but the process may be cathartic. I know in my situation my wife drives me nuts sometimes but like you say they are not replaceable. I have had to sell GTO's Superbikes etc, in the past thing's I really enjoyed but ultimately it's just stuff and it's all replaceable "although more expensive now" but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hey Lantern,

If you ever sell that Cap 110... let me know. I want first crack at it...

I have been selling off my collection for the past year. Originally, I was planning to sell 80% of it. Once that was gone, I reevaluated and began selling off another 10%. In the next month or so that will be gone. When that portion is gone, I have already decided to sell another 5%. Quite honestly, in the end, I will probably end up selling 99% of what I began with, which will leave me with about a dozen or so books total.

Taking the first step is the hardest. Once the ball gets rolling, and you start to make some money, it becomes easier. There have been several times that I have hesitated to sell a particular book but an offer would be made that seemed too good too be true, so I sold.

Sort out the books that mean the most to you and sell those last. Sell off the easily replaceable books first. For me, the more I sold the easier it was to sell. Of course, I am assuming that you will be selling them in singles or small lots yourself and not in one big chunk to a dealer. If that is the case, then it may be more difficult to let them go.

Good luck!

Apotheosis

I don’t know your situation and I am normally not the type of person that provides advice on personal matters but I agree with you that nothing is more important than family. That being said, it seems like common ground could be reached in regards to your collection or at least some favorites. Again, I don’t know the situation but for me marriage and compromise go hand in hand. For my story, I was your age when I sold my key books at the urging of my mother. It was the biggest regret of my life. Soon thereafter, I cut the strings and married. My spouse is not enthusiastic about the funds I spend on books but she is supportive since she knows that this diversion is important to me. My only advice is to discuss the situation and if there is any doubt, do it her way. gossip.gif

Best of luck in your decision and I hope you stay on the boards. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Lantern,

If you ever sell that Cap 110... let me know. I want first crack at it...

Presently, my Cap books and ECs are the only books that I am keeping. However, if or when I do sell it, you will be the first one I contact.

By the way, I had the book graded a while back....

cap110b.JPG

Taking the first step is the hardest. Once the ball gets rolling, and you start to make some money, it becomes easier.

So true! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Take Brian's advice here. You may find that once you start selling, it'll become easier. As far as I know you collected Wolverine appearances. I'm sure you can replace that down the road and repurchase them when you are in a better state financially. If it's not what the wife wants now, it may be open to discussion down the road. Start culling your dupes and unwanted books first to make it easier. Then unload the big ticket items and the nearest and dearest to you at the end. It is hardest to sell these at first.

cap110b.JPG

I REALLY like that book 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll start the bidding at... 27_laughing.gif

J/K Foolkiller, this is one of those books that I was hoarding for a time and have about 10 copies floating around in my boxes in different conditions. I don't think any are as nice as this, however. But as Apotheosis has stated, I find it tough to commit big $$$ when I should be selling and have other things for my money to go to.

I've dumped 25-30% of my 50 long box collection over the past few months purely for space reasons. In no way have I missed any of it, though, admittedly there wasn't much worth missing! Its made me look at a lot of whats left for possible dumping, see if I can get down to 25 long boxes.