• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In desperation...

131 posts in this topic

There comes a time in every collection where a choice must be made. Is it the comics or the quality of life that comes first? Is it the love for a hobby that you have had since age 9 or the love of a wife and home that you've had for far less time? Unfortunately it's a question that has come up in the last few days that has kept me from sleeping and from being happy. The choice is obvious... comics can always be purchased again. With all luck the wife is beyond replaceable... and she is.

In the next week we will find out if the comics will leave or not. The sad thing is that the thought of the collection going bye bye literally brings tears to my eyes. I've been at this a loooong time. The idea of selling it all off hurts badly. I have comics that I've had since I was 9 (granted... it's ONLY 20 years) and some of them are from my brother that I wish I was closer to. But in the end some things have to matter more then others. Comics have to be the disposable items.

Anybody else here have to make the hard decision? (If I've mis-spealt anything I appolagize... I'm on my 4th 32 once White Russian.... affects the senses.)

Please share and make me feel better. I know I'm not one of the hugely popular people on here such as Greggy (please no graemlin only posts) and our beloved Joanna (your post are just incredible), but I would still like to hear some responses. Look past me and share your sob stories of remorse.

Your post struck a chord. I did a search on the boards and what do I come up with? sorry.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post549981

Dan

>> Is it the love for a hobby that you have had since age 9

>> or the love of a wife and home that you've had for far less time?

Comics are things. You buy/sell them. Don't lose sight of what's important

in life here. Are you REALLY comparing the importance of a collection of

inanimate objects to your wife and home? If so, you're in the wrong marriage.

>> Anybody else here have to make the hard decision?

Get a grip. You think this is a HARD decision? Pardon me while I laugh out

loud. Hard decisions involve life and death. Hard decisions involve people's

futures. A decision about comics is ... trivial. Comics are fluff in comparison.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that "things" can make you happy.

gozer

--------------------------

no funny tag line

Say what you want about OldGuy, but his two-word response to threads like these strikes a chord in me every time. Sometimes the simple answer is the right answer.

OG level headed?

27_laughing.gif

What are you smoking at the office today Scott?

Do you not remember the emotional rollercoasters OG takes us on every now and then?

( no offense OG.. you know I luv ya.... flowerred.gif)

Ze-

Oh wait.. you did say.. these topics. didnt you?...nevermind

There comes a time in every collection where a choice must be made. Is it the comics or the quality of life that comes first? Is it the love for a hobby that you have had since age 9 or the love of a wife and home that you've had for far less time? Unfortunately it's a question that has come up in the last few days that has kept me from sleeping and from being happy. The choice is obvious... comics can always be purchased again. With all luck the wife is beyond replaceable... and she is.

In the next week we will find out if the comics will leave or not. The sad thing is that the thought of the collection going bye bye literally brings tears to my eyes. I've been at this a loooong time. The idea of selling it all off hurts badly. I have comics that I've had since I was 9 (granted... it's ONLY 20 years) and some of them are from my brother that I wish I was closer to. But in the end some things have to matter more then others. Comics have to be the disposable items.

Anybody else here have to make the hard decision? (If I've mis-spealt anything I appolagize... I'm on my 4th 32 once White Russian.... affects the senses.)

Please share and make me feel better. I know I'm not one of the hugely popular people on here such as Greggy (please no graemlin only posts) and our beloved Joanna (your post are just incredible), but I would still like to hear some responses. Look past me and share your sob stories of remorse.

Your post struck a chord. I did a search on the boards and what do I come up with? sorry.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post549981

Dan

Amazing what a few months can do to the perfect relationship, isn't it?

Again, OldGuy's standard advice in these situations rings most true. cloud9.gif

I feel your pain. Due to extreme circumstances, I had to recently get rid of part of my collection that I had been building since my early teens (now almost 34 yo.) and it hurt. I weighed my options VERY CAREFULLY and decided I had to do it or I wouldve really been in the poor house.

But life moves on and I will probrably re-collect some of the favorites that I now am without. Hope things work out! thumbsup2.gif

My wife usually gets bummed when I sell comics to pay for life or fun stuff, but she always comes around and asks "So, how much did you get for it?"

Sell as the result of love or need, but never out of pressure from your significant other.

When I hear stories like this, it makes me ask myself, "What loved one could ever make me feel this shi++y?"

Apotheosis are you going to post again and fill us in on what happened to the perfect relationship or is your hangover causing you to leave us in suspense?

Just remember they are only comics and you can buy them back.

Eric

Apotheosis are you going to post again and fill us in on what happened to the perfect relationship or is your hangover causing you to leave us in suspense?

Just remember they are only comics and you can buy them back.

Eric

Does anyome seriously believe that Apotheosis remembers posting here last night. I'm sure this thread will be a huge shock to him when he wakes up and reads these boards. smile.gif

Apotheosis

I guess that a easy and a difficult decision all at once. I know what its like to lose the love of your life. It wasnt over comics or any one thing in particular. It was just small things that turned into large issues. We were both to stubborn to admit we were in trouble. The day she moved out of our house killed me and it still hurts to this day, 18 months later. All I can say is that I would do anything to have her back. Selling off my Spidey collection would be hard but.....you may love comics, but comics dont love you back.

All the best.

reminds me of nic cage, make absolutely sure you are willing to part with something that has been much of your life for 20 years, and if it is worth it, then by all means do it, otherwise enjoy em, and leave em until retirement :P

Get a grip. You think this is a HARD decision? Pardon me while I laugh out

loud. Hard decisions involve life and death. Hard decisions involve people's futures. A decision about comics is ... trivial. Comics are fluff in comparison.

What about our pasts? I've collected comics since I was about 8 years old, and feel that the decision to sell them all is far from " trivial ".

Comics are a bridge to my childhood, one that I would hate to burn.

I look at it this way:

If I were being forced to make a choice, I'd choose the one that never made me choose in the 1st place.