• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets travel the world looking at rare foreign Star Wars editions!

24 posts in this topic

Ok, how about some rare foreign edition SW stuff you don't see often? Now this post is issue #1 heavy but I do have some other rare stuff.... Lets travel around the world, starting in Russia. The (Darkhorse)Star Wars New hope books look good in Russian! Tough to find even in Russia from what my sources say.

Russian_Star_Wars_newhope1-1.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_inside-1.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_inside1-1.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_Luke.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_chwey.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_vader.jpg

One of the supercool Indonesain bootlegs re-drawn by Indo artist Jan Mitaraga!

StarWars1_indonesia.jpg

Comparison images of the interior art.....

Chapter2_indonesian.jpg

Indonesian_insides2.jpg

A later Star Wars printing in Japan. This one comes with the cool ad flap on the cover…..

StarWars1_jap.jpg

obi.jpg

Japanesesw1_inside.jpg

A super rare book you can barely find scans on the web much less a buying opportunity. The killer Star Wars #1 Alemar bookstore from the Philippines.

StarWars1_Alemar.jpg

starwarsalemar.jpg

StarWars1_Alemarback.jpg

The used to be tough Columbian #1, recently a bunch have come out of the woodwork….

StarWars1Columbia.jpg

The altered Columbian cover turning Obi Wan into an alien.

StarWars4Columbia.jpg

The UK isn't rare, but can be tough when you are looking for a un-punched x-wing cutout insert.

UKSW1-1.jpg

UKSW1xwing-1.jpg

The beautiful Greek!

sw1greekover.jpg

The Arabic! This one pulled from a Ma qara al koun binding…..

Arabic_StarWars1.jpg

ARABICSW_spalsh.jpg

Arabic_coffee.jpg

Former Yugoslavia Strip art issue!

12622306_1703307529937934_1314566590521311947_o.jpg

The extremly rare, 1st Star Wars in Japan, Weekly Shounen Magazine #18!

Cover_Japanese_star_wars1.jpg

vader_Japanese_star_wars1.jpg

mural_Japanese_star_wars1.jpg

Chaykin_Cover_Japanese_star_wars1.jpg

interior_Japanese_star_wars1.jpg

And last but not least, probably one of the rarest SW#1 editions on the planet! The South African Supercomix #1

Supercomix_StarWars1.jpg

SAStar_wars1_interior1.jpg

SAStar_wars1_interior.jpg

Awesome! My favorite is the Indonesian copy - the guy literally redrew the whole comic!? Amazing.

Yea he is pretty amazing... another shot of the interior. Compare this one...

11146221_1599635490305139_3445736899519163453_n.jpg

You can see where he went simpler or chose to match certain elements of the scene closely. I gotta tell ya wormboy. The Indonesian bootleg market is fascinating. An entire book or books could be dedicated to everything they did.... out of threat of hijacking my own thread would you like to see other indo bootlegs?

Jan was a pretty neat homegrown artist out of Indonesia. He was heavily influenced by western comic art and as such I think is one reason he was so popular.

jan16.jpg

jan18.jpg

jan10.jpg

Thanks guys! (thumbs u

Ok, update with a current pic of my entire Star Wars #1 foreign edition and American variant set. Using or inspired by, the classic Chaykin artwork… enjoy! And BTW this set with the exception of the Arabic is the set I took last summer to Red Bank, New Jersey to be featured on Comic Book Men. Very disappointed my transaction didn't make the show. If you want my opinion the Stash guys, Robert B, and the shooting producers were all great! The problem was I think the editing guys got lazy and didn't want to cut this huge thing together. We shot a ton of B roll stuff that was needed for such a complicated transaction with so many pieces. Oh well…. but I am not gonna lie it did hurt my feelings a bit. :gossip:

SW1_largestforeignset1.jpg

SW1_largestforeignset2.jpg

Is it the largest set of its type on planet earth? Yes I believe so… and I will just answer now I don't have the 35 cent variant. Hope for one, but until then I am still pretty happy creating what I believe is a record breaking set. :)

And last but not least, probably one of the rarest SW#1 editions on the planet! The South African Supercomix #1

Supercomix_StarWars1.jpg

You have to keep reminding me that I don't have this book?!? (tsk)

Matt, terrific books! (thumbs u

Supercomix_StarWars1.jpg

You have to keep reminding me that I don't have this book?!? (tsk)

Matt, terrific books! (thumbs u

Sorry Ron... :gossip:

How about you show off some of your amazing foreign SW collection!!!! I wanna see and keep this thread alive! :wishluck:

Awesome! My favorite is the Indonesian copy - the guy literally redrew the whole comic!? Amazing.

Yea he is pretty amazing... another shot of the interior. Compare this one...

11146221_1599635490305139_3445736899519163453_n.jpg

You can see where he went simpler or chose to match certain elements of the scene closely. I gotta tell ya wormboy. The Indonesian bootleg market is fascinating. An entire book or books could be dedicated to everything they did.... out of threat of hijacking my own thread would you like to see other indo bootlegs?

Jan was a pretty neat homegrown artist out of Indonesia. He was heavily influenced by western comic art and as such I think is one reason he was so popular.

jan16.jpg

jan18.jpg

jan10.jpg

That is awesome! It blows my mind that he redrew every single page, with the same story at different angles etc. Just wild.

What are these other three bootlegs of?