• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How "important" is ASM33? "If this be my destiny!"

47 posts in this topic

While ASM 33 came out a couple of years before I started buying the title off the stands, my friends who did buy it when it was new have always considered it special..... even from the day it first hit the rack. It's always been a highlight of the era. It isn't uncommon, but it's continued demand and strong prices are a testimony to it's zeitgeist ...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There is no better drawn nor more powerful Silver Age story. The list of stories that might equal it is very short.

You can see the originals here:

http://www.romitaman.com/PrivateCollectionSpiderman.asp

Spidey33%20trio.jpg

There is no better drawn nor more powerful Silver Age story. The list of stories that might equal it is very short.

You can see the originals here:

http://www.romitaman.com/PrivateCollectionSpiderman.asp

Spidey33%20trio.jpg

These five pages (3 shown) are a beautiful representation of Ditko's skill at sequential storytelling. The eye is led perfectly through the pages, the consistent POV & panel layout intentionally increases the pacing & tension, and Stan's dialogue has never been more Shakespearean.

With this issue, I believe Ditko was concluding the first phase of Spider-man's life through Peter's personal hero's journey. Peter is tested with his greatest ordeal and comes out the other side resurrected, literally returning with the "elixir".

Pete fulfills the underlying theme present since AF15; "with great power comes great responsibility", and finally atones for the death of his Uncle Ben. He didn't save Ben due to his selfishness, but he does save Aunt May.

The driving force that compelled Peter to become Spider-Man in the first place has been resolved.

He has been transformed.

Under Ditko, I doubt if the Uncle Ben guilt trip would have been rehashed; Peter is now onto bigger & better things.

Starting a few issues earlier, Pete graduated high school, started college, resolved the Liz Allen crush & the Betty Brant love affair, made new "friends" in Harry & Gwen - hell, he even went out and bought a new wardrobe.

No more of Peter's staid standard sweater vest with tie and sport jacket, Peter is now commonly shown with an unbuttoned top collar! Yikes!

Joseph Campbell would be proud.

Another great critique and story.

Indeed! :applause:

It appears the impact of the story line was universal to all of us who read it when it first came out.

And likely to those that followed, as well.

If the issue has such significance, is there any reason the CGC labels don't have any commentary? It also appears the selling prices are still pretty low below the very high grade ones...