• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think are some of the most undervalued comics out there?
3 3

194 posts in this topic

1970's Charlton - Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man , Space 1999

Gold Key Battle of the Planets.

Platinum age Charlie Chaplin ( and many other pre 1920 books.)

All stuff I buy.

I agree with these, though Space 1999 may be a bit too obscure these days...

I picked up four Charlie Chaplins in a collection last year, and I was surprised at how little they were going for. Forgotten platinum characters like Mutt & Jeff or Moon Mullins going for nothing I can understand, but Chaplin seems different...

1970's Charlton - Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man , Space 1999

Gold Key Battle of the Planets.

Platinum age Charlie Chaplin ( and many other pre 1920 books.)

All stuff I buy.

I agree with these, though Space 1999 may be a bit too obscure these days...

I picked up four Charlie Chaplins in a collection last year, and I was surprised at how little they were going for. Forgotten platinum characters like Mutt & Jeff or Moon Mullins going for nothing I can understand, but Chaplin seems different...

Space 1999 is pretty obscure but it seems fervent collectors like myself are willing to pay a lot for the 9.8's . The Chaplin's I just do not understand. I have one of the Chaplin 1917 Funny Stunts en route that the seller accepted 50% of his asking price. Way below guide. I know there is not high demand but these books are very scarce.

Vast swaths of fabulously well written 80's and 90's books that go begging. Animal Man, for instance. It's one of the best series of the late 80's, and no one cares.

Sandman, of course. Every single book of that run should be $10 or more each.

Swamp Thing by Moore.

Miracleman.

From Hell.

Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn

Tons of stuff.

These threads always confuse me as how one should participate...

If I name a book I DO NOT have, I run the risk of naming things that others will now go after and perhaps acquire before I do. Why should I create competition for myself.

If I name a book I DO have then I run the risk of appearing as if I am trying to hawk my own book so I can sell it as demand increases.

So, name a book that you DO NOT have that you WILL NOT be purchasing.

Here's my answer:

Action Comics #1

It's the most expensive comic, and it will ALWAYS be the most expensive comic.

So, all these other books might have room to grow, but they have a ceiling.

Action Comics #1 has no ceiling.

There will eventually be a $10,000,000 comic... and it will be Action #1.

A1 sure is a nice funny book, but ... 10 mill. seriously. thats insane imho.

Vast swaths of fabulously well written 80's and 90's books that go begging. Animal Man, for instance. It's one of the best series of the late 80's, and no one cares.

Swamp Thing by Moore.

Miracleman.

From Hell.

Tons of stuff.

From Hell :sick:

Swamp Thing by Moore.

Miracleman.

From Hell.

Tons of stuff.

From Hell :sick:

From Hell = best graphic novel I have ever read ... Ever.

Only Morrison's 1-26, in my opinion. I hunted down singles to finish the rest of the run, and it wasn't worth the effort.

Robinson's Starman was class from start to finish.

Only Morrison's 1-26, in my opinion. I hunted down singles to finish the rest of the run, and it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm finishing up my Bolland Animal Man run on the cheap. Well worth the $1 or less I find them for.

Absolutely, and it's that run that I had in mind. Everything after issue #26 is marginal, at best. Morrison's run ended in 1990, so the late 80's would have only included that run.

Absolutely, and it's that run that I had in mind. Everything after issue #26 is marginal, at best. Morrison's run ended in 1990, so the late 80's would have only included that run.

Peter Milligan's issues of Animal Man weren't too bad.

James Robinson did some great work in the 90s ; Starman, The Golden Age, Leave It To Chance.

On 8/18/2016 at 5:34 PM, W3r3 said:

Also, Fanzines should be a lot more valuable.

RBCC from 60s and 70s, and low print run late 80s independent press Ash Cans (Maxx, Flaming Carrot, etc).

Charlton Ditko titles like Blue Beetle having some demand now due to movie hype and low $ value in Overstreet for 60s comics.