• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator ASM #1 9.6!!!!!

52 posts in this topic

I wonder if that action 1 will fit in the new-new holder with the inner well? It looks like it's going right to the edge in that holder. If they were to put in into a holder now, they'd probably have to put it in one of those kite-sized holders.

Is it just something with the case or the photo I'm seeing, or was there a dust/sun shadow that has disappeared? Looks like from the pic in the old holder the top 3/4" - 1" is lighter than the rest of the book with a fairly distinct line.

Is it just something with the case or the photo I'm seeing, or was there a dust/sun shadow that has disappeared? Looks like from the pic in the old holder the top 3/4" - 1" is lighter than the rest of the book with a fairly distinct line.

Where are you seeing a picture of the comic in an old holder with a dust shadow?

Where are you seeing a picture of the comic in an old holder with a dust shadow?

In the post just above mine. I could be missing something here, the photos are of the same book in the old holder and the (old) new holder, right? It might not even be a dust shadow either, just looks like it's lighter across the top from my end.

I have a curator book that also shows that yellowing in the interior of the white parts of the cover but not the edges ( http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/ComicView.aspx?PeopleSetComicID=581716 )

Is that something that could have been removed from the ASM #1, or is it just how it is photographed?

As Bob mentioned above, the scanner settings can have a big impact on how the book appears. As you can see in the side-by-side comparison of the old and new scans, the same book can look vastly different in two different scans.

For the ASM #1, I'd guess neither scan is representative of what the book looks like in hand. The old scan is pretty dark. The new scan is very bright. It's probably somewhere in between.

am I late to the party - whats wrong w the holders? besides how sometimes they have those filmy waves on them....

Boy-howdy are you late to the party... I'd direct you to a thread, but I don't think any of them *ahem* exist anymore. I'd suggest you take a trip to facebook or some other site that discusses comic books. :whistle:

am I late to the party - whats wrong w the holders? besides how sometimes they have those filmy waves on them....

I'd tell you, but then CGC would have to kill us both. :fear:

Or perhaps just the thread. :shy:

It's not even a first appearance...?

Pass.

By the way...isn't it amazing...pun most thoroughly intended...that the vast majority of ASM #1s looked as good as this one at one point?

:cloud9:

It's the scan settings.

Bob; not only do the colors look totally different, the scan in this thread of the more recent slabbing has strange pixilation all over the floor where the Thing is standing. Scan settings can really present a different look that real life.

When I bought two Copies of ASM #1 from Dupcak many years ago, my first reaction to each was that they didn't look near as nice as his scans. They did grade out very close to what CGC decided, but they were, of course, both restored...

Holy schmoley. Any idea what this might go for? I'm betting at least tree fiddy.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/p/7141-13001.s?ctrack=2892518&type=collectora-2--comic--news--tem063016

I'm afraid that due to the CGC Chat Board Poll which knocked this book out of the SA top ten, the price will take a real tumble... :/

It's the scan settings.

Bob; not only do the colors look totally different, the scan in this thread of the more recent slabbing has strange pixilation all over the floor where the Thing is standing. Scan settings can really present a different look that real life.

When I bought two Copies of ASM #1 from Dupcak many years ago, my first reaction to each was that they didn't look near as nice as his scans. They did grade out very close to what CGC decided, but they were, of course, both restored...

That pixelation is due to the browser, it's not in the scan. When you're zooming in and out of an image in heritage's viewer, it uses a less accurate method to display the image. Once you stop zooming, it picks a more accurate method. Here's an example. The first image is a screen grab while the less accurate image is displayed, the second is after I stopped zooming and it switches to the more accurate method.

th_Screen%20Shot%202016-07-01%20at%203.34.33%20PM_zpsntb4bfno.png

th_Screen%20Shot%202016-07-01%20at%203.34.37%20PM_zpskdrztkrn.png

Old grade of 9.6

New grade of 9.6

:o Pressing doesn't always equal a grade bump??? Shocking!

It's got an 'old label' serial number in a new label slab, which suggests it was reholdered rather than resubmitted (and pressed). At the time, it could have had a page quality review and gotten the improved page designation.