• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying Collections for Flea Markets/Shops

73 posts in this topic

No shop owner I have ever frequented was on the convention circuit. They were too busy running their store.

Some of the LCSs do the local shows here for one main reason - to liquidate the mountains of dollar bin books they have in storage from overstock and buying collections. lol

A couple of the newer stores are doing shows to help promote themselves as well even though they do not have as much to sell off.

I think any good LCS should have a small storage of overstock back issues. As long as it's not all hundreds of multiples of the same stuff. A small storage is $30-$40 depending on where you're at, you can fit about 50 longboxes in the smallest of storages if you only stack them at a safe height. Insure all your 10 cent comics for a dollar each in case the place gets robbed or catches on fire or something, use the storage to replenish whatever gets sold from the bins, and every year or so change up the inventory.

No shop owner I have ever frequented was on the convention circuit. They were too busy running their store.

:hi:

See you in October.

See you in October.

Is this another billy Parker joke?

See you in October.

NYCC

See you in October.

Hey now. Parker's a lot of things, but calling him a joke is a bit harsh

Found some info on a flea market about 40 minutes away from me. Some of my wife's family is there so it's not a big deal to travel for the day. Covered spaces start at $12 and indoor spaces start at $14 for the day. Might give it a shot.

Found some info on a flea market about 40 minutes away from me. Some of my wife's family is there so it's not a big deal to travel for the day. Covered spaces start at $12 and indoor spaces start at $14 for the day. Might give it a shot.

Let me know how it goes - I've always wondered how selling at Flea Markets compares to other selling methods.

Let me know how it goes - I've always wondered how selling at Flea Markets compares to other selling methods.

Definitely will! Trying to bag up the sets I've got now to keep them in order. Ran out of bags. lol

Does the flea market already have other comic vendors?

If yes, that might be good. If people already know that it's a flea market that has comics, then comic buyers are more likely to already be coming.

If it doesn't then how can you get people to know you're there? I find most flea market attendees are creatures of habit (they go to the same one or ones everytime)

its true that you'll have a reputation;

Here's how i describe the stores within 45 minutes of me:

(#1.) High Turnover of back-issues; worth checking once-a-month

(#2.) Nothing buy 'recent comics' -- Only go if you need a recent back-issue

(#3.) The warehouse of drek -- go only if you want to dig for $0.25 issues on a Saturday

(#4.) The overpriced store -- go only if something recently got hot; they got it at yesterday's prices.

Does the flea market already have other comic vendors?

If yes, that might be good. If people already know that it's a flea market that has comics, then comic buyers are more likely to already be coming.

If it doesn't then how can you get people to know you're there? I find most flea market attendees are creatures of habit (they go to the same one or ones everytime)

That's something I need to find out. We have local Facebook groups where I can post for free and let people know I'll be setting up. But other than that and Craigslist, I can't think of other ways to let people know.

I set up at a large Antique Flea market every month pretty much all year long. Some times I do a second one as well. I sell all kinds of stuff. Toys, Advertising, Entertainment and Pop Culture stuff as well as paper stuff including comic books.

I usually have a 1/2 price box of reader SA Marvels and one of DCs. I usually bring a box of misc GA/SA/BA stuff (all genres) and a couple of boxes of $5. and $1. books. Depending on weather it's outside and I have a canopy but if it's too hot or possible rain, I leave the paper at home.

There are a lot of collectors and flippers that show up nowdays. I used to be one of only a few people looking for comics... I have a lot of regulars and I know their wants. So, I take notes and bring stuff that might be of interest on the more expensive books. I do pretty well but I have a diverse inventory and cater to my customers.

I do a lot better however selling the "other stuff" though as it appeals to a much wider audience and I set it up to hit impulse buyers. The key is consistancy and take note of what people are looking for. I don't obviously bring much high dollar books for the public but do for the regulars that ask for them and pay well. Comic books are usually 25%-30% of my total sales unless I sell a few "big" ones.

Here are a couple of shots of a set up I did recently. It was a little dicey weather wise the day before so I didn't bring comics. As luck would have it, it cleared up the day of the show but I didn't want to chance it. They are usually on the tables to the right. I can bring about 6 long boxes if I want to.

flea%201_zpsxznqkfdb.jpg

flea%203_zpseehuv0jm.jpg

flea%202_zpsmkisjv7f.jpg

I've sold comics at a swap meet/ flea mart a few times. All i took were comics, trades, hc etc... Really didn't sell well. Most people looking for tools or used clothes it seems. I think if you're going to sell collectibles at a flea mart need to have a diverse amount of things. Toys, action figures, cards, comics. Something for every type of collector

Nice set up but you are very limited to comic collectors only. If they don't show up your day tanks. I've also learned that people looking for comics are hoping to find them cheap or score a great deal. If you count on the "retail" crowd, your pool of buyers really shrinks. My best sales are usually from return buyers who are looking for certain types of books.

This was my setup at one.

33vhoc2.jpg

I had a similar set up at a couple garage sales I put on last year. The first one was an everything under the sun kind of garage sale and did fairly well. The old guys following behind their wives seemed to grab a few which added up. When I did a comics only garage sale it was a complete bust. I put up signs along the main road and everything and no one stopped by. I think it was partly due to the local flippers saw my address on the announcement and knew the second time that I didn't have keys for $1 so they didn't bother coming by.