• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nobody is complaining about the case? Does everything seem good now?

160 posts in this topic

Wow, the new/new cases look great...thanks for sharing! :applause:

I like how the Action 1 looks secure in the case with the closely cropped wedges, this newly designed snug fit should help prevent SCS moving forward. (thumbs u

Thanks, Barton...a few of the books have those plastic "flaps", a few do not. Some have one on the side, some on the bottom. What bothers me is that the bottom one on this book looks uneven...and I'm not a high grade collector, so if it bothers me, I'd imagine it would drive someone really picky crazy.

The bottom wedge looks uneven because the bottom of the book is uneven. They tried to line up the sides of the book parallel to the slab edges but because the book was not trimmed square then the bottom edge is crooked. That was common on all slab books pre April 4 slab.

Hey, that date just reminded me of the U2 song lyric "Early morning, April 4 - shot rings out in the Memphis sky!"

Thanks, Barton...a few of the books have those plastic "flaps", a few do not. Some have one on the side, some on the bottom. What bothers me is that the bottom one on this book looks uneven...and I'm not a high grade collector, so if it bothers me, I'd imagine it would drive someone really picky crazy.

The bottom wedge looks uneven because the bottom of the book is uneven. They tried to line up the sides of the book parallel to the slab edges but because the book was not trimmed square then the bottom edge is crooked. That was common on all slab books pre April 4 slab.

Hey, that date just reminded me of the U2 song lyric "Early morning, April 4 - shot rings out in the Memphis sky!"

:facepalm:

Yes, CGC's 4/4 new slab date = April 4, 1968 and the assassination of Dr. King.

Is that what I said?

I said the date reminded me of the song lyric. (shrug)

I wouldn't jump back to the no complaining...we have puddling again :banana:

rmribSZ.jpg

Hey, that's my book! And I'm complaining. Here's the response - "I'm sorry you are unhappy, but this is our newest version with the inner well. We used to use these inner wells back in our old cases. What you see on the back is just on the plastic and will do no harm to your comic and these was also present even in our old style of holder."

Hope that makes everyone happy meh

rmribSZ.jpg

Hey, that's my book! And I'm complaining. Here's the response - "I'm sorry you are unhappy, but this is our newest version with the inner well. We used to use these inner wells back in our old cases. What you see on the back is just on the plastic and will do no harm to your comic and these was also present even in our old style of holder."

It's funny because the new case they just discontinued supposedly would "do no harm to your comic" but they had no problem reholdering those books. It is almost an admittance of liability that they won't reholder any book after the switch for what they deem the same cosmetic faults.

Is that what I said?

That's what the song lyric is about.

Dang.....I just got a book from CGC yesterday in the non-updated case..I think. No plastic flaps...no well

(Just checked....graded 6/20 :blahblah::makepoint::tonofbricks:doh! )

I was under the impression anything shipped after the announcement, which this did, would have been put in the newest case even if it was already encapsulated waiting to be shipped.It shipped on 7/1 so based on their announcement...

"This updated holder will be used on all submissions, including those currently at CGC, effective immediately."

...I would think I have an argument for a re-holdering?

I have another one being delivered on Monday :wishluck:

I've received 10 moderns back so far that were re-holdered from new holder v1.0 to new holder v2.0 -- huge improvements overall. Newton effect was either entirely eliminated or drastically reduced to pre-April 4 levels. I only have two beefs:

Minor beef - a few of the books show contact spots between the inner well and outer case on the back cover. It's annoying, but I'll live with it.

Major beef - this I don't blame the new design for, but one of my books came back even wavier than before. Again, no reason to believe the new design is responsible but rather it makes me further question what kind of long term impact the v1.0 design would have had on a book.

Suffice to say I've sent the rest of my v1.0 holders back to be re-done.

rmribSZ.jpg

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:sick:

Is that what I said?

That's what the song lyric is about.

No mess, Sherlock. That doesn't mean anyone was drawing a correlation between the two other than noticing that the date was the same.

rmribSZ.jpg

I almost submitted a few dozen books yesterday. I'm glad they were busy at a con now. Puddling is out of the question for me.

Dang.....I just got a book from CGC yesterday in the non-updated case..I think. No plastic flaps...no well

(Just checked....graded 6/20 :blahblah::makepoint::tonofbricks:doh! )

I was under the impression anything shipped after the announcement, which this did, would have been put in the newest case even if it was already encapsulated waiting to be shipped.It shipped on 7/1 so based on their announcement...

"This updated holder will be used on all submissions, including those currently at CGC, effective immediately."

...I would think I have an argument for a re-holdering?

I have another one being delivered on Monday :wishluck:

I don't think effective immediately means what you think it means.

I've received 10 moderns back so far that were re-holdered from new holder v1.0 to new holder v2.0 -- huge improvements overall. Newton effect was either entirely eliminated or drastically reduced to pre-April 4 levels. I only have two beefs:

Minor beef - a few of the books show contact spots between the inner well and outer case on the back cover. It's annoying, but I'll live with it.

Major beef - this I don't blame the new design for, but one of my books came back even wavier than before. Again, no reason to believe the new design is responsible but rather it makes me further question what kind of long term impact the v1.0 design would have had on a book.

Suffice to say I've sent the rest of my v1.0 holders back to be re-done.

CGC didn't offer a procedure to get rid of the waves, pardon me, I mean the wavy appearance?

Just received six GA books back, and I see no Newton rings ... definitely the books are not smushed in tight against the plastic front and back. I don't foresee any issues with waviness either.

Having said that, I will be sending in my Action 15 and 23 for re-slabbing as I can already see some "waves" from original new slabbing previously discussed ......