• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age: Rarest of the Rare?

46 posts in this topic

I was browsing the CgC consensus on supply of some of the scarce Golden Age timelys such as USA 8 (15 total copies recorded) and got to looking for a list of the lowest supply books out there. Something like Motion Picture Funnies Weekly has 7 cgc graded total (1st submariner.) I was curious of any lists out there? If not, maybe this thread can start a list of the lowest supply books out there. The rare of the rare. The books that if they come up once a year it's a good year. Golden Age only, when these books were not made to be collectible and the rarity is true.

I was browsing the CgC consensus on supply of some of the scarce Golden Age timelys such as USA 8 (15 total copies recorded) and got to looking for a list of the lowest supply books out there. Something like Motion Picture Funnies Weekly has 7 cgc graded total (1st submariner.) I was curious of any lists out there? If not, maybe this thread can start a list of the lowest supply books out there. The rare of the rare. The books that if they come up once a year it's a good year. Golden Age only, when these books were not made to be collectible and the rarity is true.

I'm not sure you'll get what you want out of this experiment.

There are 940 comics printed from 1933 to 1945 which only have 1 copy on the CGC census (21 are Centaur).

The Census is a great place to start, but some books aren't slabbed because they are rare while others aren't slabbed because they cheap.

The Census is a great place to start, but some books aren't slabbed because they are rare while others aren't slabbed because they cheap.

Fully agree

I agree fully, the consensus is the best information to start unless someone has other pool of research to dig through otherwise. To guess the percentage of what the consenses represents can only be a guess. But educated guesses is all we can truly gather

I'd be interested in a narrowed focus, say...

What's the lowest Census on...

GA "Classic" covers

Hero Timely books,

Overstreet's top 100 GA.

High demand "Key" issues of the GA. (I'd say USA #8 falls into this)

Late 41' and Early 42' Fox Feautre books seem to be hard to locate...they are bringin Tons of money right now compared to yesteryear and still not many are leaking out to the market. Some I still haven't seen.

I'd be interested in a narrowed focus, say...

What's the lowest Census on...

GA "Classic" covers

Hero Timely books,

Overstreet's top 100 GA.

High demand "Key" issues of the GA. (I'd say USA #8 falls into this)

I agree, I would be more than happy to help organize if we figured out the parameters that would be best going forward

I'm not sure you'll get what you want out of this experiment.

There are 940 comics printed from 1933 to 1945 which only have 1 copy on the CGC census (21 are Centaur).

+BOOM!

Wouldn't a list with all those great books with 1 issue on census be great? I don't see the problem with making a scarce list, as a collector I value the insight and research pooled together- call me crazy

Wouldn't a list with all those great books with 1 issue on census be great? I don't see the problem with making a scarce list, as a collector I value the insight and research pooled together- call me crazy

How about 3,316 books with 5 or less on the CGC census (alphabetical by publisher, then book name):

http://valiantman.com/cgc/lowcensus1933_to_1945_20160708.txt

How about 3,316 books with 5 or less on the CGC census (alphabetical by publisher, then book name):

http://valiantman.com/cgc/lowcensus1933_to_1945_20160708.txt

now this is what I am talking about, still enjoying it. great list!

This. Perhaps a more meaningful survey would be one that lists books with a Guide value in excess of, for example, $1,000.

This. Perhaps a more meaningful survey would be one that lists books with a Guide value in excess of, for example, $1,000.

Was thinking same thing, but maybe cut at $300

(thumbs u Excellent approach, that should provide discussion-worthy results!

The rarest GA book I've ever seen in person, which I sold for four figures, and which I think is rightly referred to as a key as it is historically important to SOTI collectors, does not have a single copy that has been slabbed. Of course, that may be because there are a grand total of two copies in private collections (with maybe twice that number in public holdings), but it raises a good question:

What are the rarest known comics which have never been slabbed? I assume some of Moondog's ashcans might fall into that category, but they weren't newsstand comics, and, so would some comics that just won't fit in slabs. But what about newsstand comics?