• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing comics in the basement

33 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I need some help with my comics. I have hundreds of comics stored in the basement of my home. Of those, about 100 or so are CGC slabbed. I have a dehumidifier down there and the humidity is around 33% - 40% during the summer time. During the rest of year, it's in the low 20%. However, during June - August the temp. hovers between 75% - 82%. During the rest of the year, it's in the 60's through low 70's.

Is this an issue?

Thank you.

Hey all,

I need some help with my comics. I have hundreds of comics stored in the basement of my home. Of those, about 100 or so are CGC slabbed. I have a dehumidifier down there and the humidity is around 33% - 40% during the summer time. During the rest of year, it's in the low 20%. However, during June - August the temp. hovers between 75% - 82%. During the rest of the year, it's in the 60's through low 70's.

Is this an issue?

Thank you.

This sounds like a good environment for your comics. What exactly are you concerned about ?

Hey all,

Is this an issue?

Thank you.

This sounds like a good environment for your comics. What exactly are you concerned about ?

It does sound good

Is the basement finished?

I'm a bit concerned about your RH levels at 20% to 40%. Seems very low. Where is that storing comics thread with recommended RH and temp values and consequences of too low vs too high vs frequent fluxuations of RH and temps that explains it for me?

hm

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Some of them are high value comics from the golden age, so I was a bit concerned. They are all stored about four inches above the ground. I can move them upstairs, however, the rooms have no locks, and should anyone wonder in, they could easily take one of the slabs. I have them in a large safe. I look at them all the time, but because of their value, I am concerned. So much so, that for the really high valued comics I've moved them into a small safe in my master bedroom. The others are still downstairs in the basement. Humidity % is around 40 right now, but the temp is around 80 (north east US weather).

Hey all,

Is this an issue?

Thank you.

If you have a dehumidifier down there and the RH is fluctuating that much it sounds like you need a second or larger one.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Some of them are high value comics from the golden age, so I was a bit concerned. They are all stored about four inches above the ground. I can move them upstairs, however, the rooms have no locks, and should anyone wonder in, they could easily take one of the slabs. I have them in a large safe. I look at them all the time, but because of their value, I am concerned. So much so, that for the really high valued comics I've moved them into a small safe in my master bedroom. The others are still downstairs in the basement. Humidity % is around 40 right now, but the temp is around 80 (north east US weather).

80 is getting high for my tastes

I dont like higher than 70 and prefer 68 but curious myself what most consider a safe number

Hey all,

Is this an issue?

Thank you.

From my experience, you should be fine. I've had a collection of a few hundred comics purchased in the late 70s that I still have today. I'm in a part of Canada, where the heating is on for about 7-8 months of the year with the humidity in the 30-40% area. However for the next 3-4 months it passes 60% and reaches 70-80% often between June-August. It's only been the past 10 years I've lived in a home with AC. Most still have white pages. The others that are off-white could have been purchased that way - I just don't remember as it was not something I focused on back then! (I have some from the late 60s that were purchased from dealers at the time) I also only just put them acid-free boards/Mylar 2 years ago.