• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic comics 3

100 posts in this topic

I feel the Allentown Mystery Men 1 will hammer in the $50k range. In regards to the Church Fantastic 3, my gut tells me it's worth just north of $100k. With that said, if it went to auction, it would probably close at well above that amount due to the fact that high grade copies are rarely (if ever) up for sale. Plus, there is a well known Fantastic 3 aficionado with really deep pockets.

Mystery men 1 (Penn) feels like a 40-45k book.

I thought the upcoming Mystery Men 1 was the Allentown copy (unless we're talking bout a different auction)?

Correct, typing too quickly.

No problem with the typo as it leads me to a question here.

Any idea if there is a Penn copy of Mystery Men #1 although I think it's probably too early as MM 1 came out in 1939. I believe the bulk of the Penn books started in 1940 and 1941 as far as I have read? hm

Here's a 19 year old catalog from Stephen (if memory serves me right, he and Vincent were not merged at this time). I can remember the day this came in the mail like yesterday. This bad boy was thick! Metro had killer inventory. Anyway, surprise surprise on what image made the cover :D

Iv'e also included a pic of the back, and the 'Fantastic Comics listings page: Every book has a sale price except..you got it, #3. Which just states 'wanted, wanted, wanted'

IMG_2283_zpsn5la0k9k.jpg

IMG_2287_zpsi5er9d2t.jpg

FullSizeRender%203_zpspvb7puea.jpg

(thumbs u I have that catalog also.My copy is pretty worn also. I remember ordering Amazing Mystery Funnies #7 1st Phantom of the Fair from it. I also picked up later a Wonderworld #7 and Mystery Men #8. Like you said, that catalog was packed..

(thumbs u I have that catalog also.My copy is pretty worn also. I remember ordering Amazing Mystery Funnies #7 1st Phantom of the Fair from it. I also picked up later a Wonderworld #7 and Mystery Men #8. Like you said, that catalog was packed..
..and the prices on some of the esoteric books at that time, oh, if I only knew. :cry:

..and the prices on some of the esoteric books at that time, oh, if I only knew. :cry:

Yep! Fantastic 22 for $58. Can't beat it. :)

+1....insane!

All the prices at the time seemed very expensive, and there was all the same griping about Metro pricing at the time that there is now.

Which is why I like to always remind myself that 20 years from now, today will be 20 years ago.

All the prices at the time seemed very expensive, and there was all the same griping about Metro pricing at the time that there is now.

Which is why I like to always remind myself that 20 years from now, today will be 20 years ago.

That certainly another way to look at that. I sure hope I've had all my grails long ago by then

Here's a 19 year old catalog from Stephen (if memory serves me right, he and Vincent were not merged at this time). I can remember the day this came in the mail like yesterday. This bad boy was thick! Metro had killer inventory. Anyway, surprise surprise on what image made the cover :D

Iv'e also included a pic of the back, and the 'Fantastic Comics listings page: Every book has a sale price except..you got it, #3. Which just states 'wanted, wanted, wanted'

IMG_2283_zpsn5la0k9k.jpg

IMG_2287_zpsi5er9d2t.jpg

Very neat Corey!!! we have to get together and iron out the kinks on that time machine :D

IMG_2283_zpsn5la0k9k.jpg

IMG_2287_zpsi5er9d2t.jpg

Very neat Corey!!! we have to get together and iron out the kinks on that time machine :D

I have that catalog. Yeah it was before Fish and Vin merged.

That certainly another way to look at that. I sure hope I've had all my grails long ago by then

I usually pull out that comment when I see someone failed to pull the trigger over some small amount, and of course it's usually the same person who wails about how cheap comics used to be. The reality is that comics (and all other things) are almost always fully priced at the time they're on offer, otherwise they would be snapped up immediately. It's only with the appreciation in values over time that they start to look cheap in retrospect.

So just suck it up and pull the trigger, because for genuine vintage books (not temporary fads like B&W/indies in the 1980s or 9.9 NM 98s), any overpayment at the time will fade into insignificance over time. You could've paid double the prices in the Metro catalog and those books still would've ended up being bargains.

So instead of saying that "I should've bought that book at that price 20 years ago :cry: ", I just buy the damn thing today so that 20 years from now I can say "I did buy that book at that price 20 years ago! :cloud9: "

I hear you Th2, and believe me I do. I pointed out esoteric as at around the time the Catolog came out I was collecting primarily DC (a lot of Wonder Woman) Fawcetts, and silver age Marvel., not the stuff I primarily focus on now. And I was pulling the trigger left and right. Still do.

Prime time, thanks for the confirmation (thumbs u

And Gino, yeah, maybe there's a hidden formula in ' Back to the Future' if we watch it backwards? hm

I usually pull out that comment when I see someone failed to pull the trigger over some small amount, and of course it's usually the same person who wails about how cheap comics used to be. The reality is that comics (and all other things) are almost always fully priced at the time they're on offer, otherwise they would be snapped up immediately. It's only with the appreciation in values over time that they start to look cheap in retrospect.

So just suck it up and pull the trigger, because for genuine vintage books (not temporary fads like B&W/indies in the 1980s or 9.9 NM 98s), any overpayment at the time will fade into insignificance over time. You could've paid double the prices in the Metro catalog and those books still would've ended up being bargains.

So instead of saying that "I should've bought that book at that price 20 years ago :cry: ", I just buy the damn thing today so that 20 years from now I can say "I did buy that book at that price 20 years ago! :cloud9: "

+1 that's what I do if I can afford to at the time . it's worth the pain for a little while. :grin:

+1 that's what I do if I can afford to at the time . it's worth the pain for a little while. :grin:

I agree with Tim.

I've had so many customers who have wanted a big GA key and have waited to 'get one at a good price' and several years later now they are paying sometimes double what it would have cost them just a short few years ago . So a 6 figure book is now costing them 2-3 times what it would have cost them a few years ago when I tried to get the into a copy.

I've always had the policy that if I want something personally, I'll pay strong to get it.

Here's a 19 year old catalog from Stephen (if memory serves me right, he and Vincent were not merged at this time).

IMG_2283_zpsn5la0k9k.jpg

The only catalog I ever received from Metro was their so-call #1 Catalog that had come out a few years earlier than this one. If I remember correctly, it had a collection of all of the #1 issues that a businessman had collected during his travels around the country for work.

What was nice, however, is that at the back of the catalog was a bunch of nicer stuff that Metro must have had in inventory at the time, namely a slew of the early pedigree Fox books.

Unfortunately, I did not buy any of them as I thought they were priced a shade too high at the time. Something like $1,600 or thereabouts for the Larson copy of Wonderworld 3. doh!:censored:

Here's a 19 year old catalog from Stephen (if memory serves me right, he and Vincent were not merged at this time).

IMG_2283_zpsn5la0k9k.jpg

The only catalog I ever received from Metro was their so-call #1 Catalog that had come out a few years earlier than this one. If I remember correctly, it had a collection of all of the #1 issues that a businessman had collected during his travels around the country for work.

What was nice, however, is that at the back of the catalog was a bunch of nicer stuff that Metro must have had in inventory at the time, namely a slew of the early pedigree Fox books.

Unfortunately, I did not buy any of them as I thought they were priced a shade too high at the time. Something like $1,600 or thereabouts for the Larson copy of Wonderworld 3. doh!:censored:

lol, but yeah , oh :censored:

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case! lol

:baiting: