• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic comics 3

100 posts in this topic

So, so far we have Church, Larson, Central Valley and Billy Wright.

While there are some incredibly nice Fox books in the Allentown collection, Fantastic 3 is not one of them (I don't think there are any Allentown Fantastic Comics).

Metro must have 20 copies of this book now, or about half of all remaining. They've been hoarding them since the 1990s. They will sell none. POS. Utterly ridiculous, for a comic "dealer". Anybody know the story of what's really going on with that?

If I had the means, I'd hoard high grade copies not every single one.

Someone's already done that -- it's a hoard of one.

Fantastic3Church.jpg

Fantastic3Church.jpg

and it must eat Fishler up to know it's not his lol

Fantastic3Church.jpg

and it must eat Fishler up to know it's not his lol

legit book right there. :cloud9:

Fantastic3Church.jpg

Now there is a book to lust after!

Metro must have 20 copies of this book now, or about half of all remaining. They've been hoarding them since the 1990s. They will sell none. POS. Utterly ridiculous, for a comic "dealer". Anybody know the story of what's really going on with that?

Fishler is also a collector. It's his favorite comic.

i wouldn't have any interest at all in a coverless; the book is ALL cover, and whatever cachet it holds in the hobby would be as gone as the missing cover.

I don't entirely agree -- great stories in those early issues! -- but the market certainly does. There was a coverless copy that made the rounds last year (though incomplete, to be fair), and struggled to sell for a few hundred.

It has some pretty imaginative stories and Fletcher Hanks art. Here are the splashes in order

1%20Samson%20splash_zpsbsnqhovi.jpg

2%20Flick%20Falcon%20splash_zpsnfbkq8ie.jpg

3%20golden%20knight_zpshedvunjk.jpg

4%20yank%20wilson%20splash_zpseasaprma.jpg

5%20text%20story_zpsqqe7jb0g.jpg

6%20space%20smith%20splash_zpszx6mqtot.jpg

7%20captain%20kidd%20splash_zpswti3nctc.jpg

8%20professor%20fiend%20splash_zps8whndd6l.jpg

9%20super%20wizard%20stardust%20splash_zps2txbvbxt.jpg

9a%20sub%20saunders%20splash_zpsveaseum7.jpg

As cool as the interiors are, the price of Fantastic 3 would be the same as 2 or 4 if it were only about the interior. Since the price of 3 is about 10X 2 or 4 then either the stories are 10X better (which they most definitely aren't), or the cover is 10X better. A coverless 3 should not be worth 10X a coverlet 2 or 4.

As cool as the interiors are, the price of Fantastic 3 would be the same as 2 or 4 if it were only about the interior. Since the price of 3 is about 10X 2 or 4 then either the stories are 10X better (which they most definitely aren't), or the cover is 10X better. A coverless 3 should not be worth 10X a coverlet 2 or 4.

It was my understanding that there would be no math. :baiting:

When did Fantastic 3 break out and become a highly desirable book?

I don’t think it was anything special back in the old days.

Here’s a couple of pictures from a Boston convention in 1974.

A girl is reading Capt America 162 behind a booth in the Hotel Statler on 2/24/74.

Take a close look and you can see there is a Fantastic 3 on the wall!

What other books do you see?

img1445A_zps24iqa438.jpg

Here’s another view and you can see the Fantastic 3 is the most expensive book on the wall priced at $22.

Maybe nobody has bought that book because it was greatly overpriced at $22 then! :D

img1446A_zpsliacqmsl.jpg

To be precise, it was approximately at 6:53:28 PM on Friday January 27, 1995 when I bumped into Stephen Fishler at the grand opening of the Diamond International Galleries in Timonium, Maryland. :gossip:

Steve came up to me and shook my hand and then proceeded to ask me what kind of books I was interested in. Being the total dummy that I was, I stupidly responded that I was looking for early Fox books with cover artwork by Lou Fine. I instantly saw a glint in his eye and a smile cross his face like a gunfighter ready to draw his gun. At that moment, I knew right away I should have told him something like those super rare and impossible to find early red hot issues of Image and Valiant books. doh!lol

Needless to say, the early Fox books which I had been picking up quietly for reasonable dollars all of a sudden became the hottest books in the vintage comic market and basically tripled in price virtually overnight before the night was out. The Fantastic 3 which you was asking about was still grouped in as part of the Fantastic #3 - #5 run in the '95 Overstreet with a guide value of only $575. With Fishler's deep interest now sparked on this particular book, the Overstreet guide for 1996 broke the Fantastic 3 out on its own with a "classic Lou Fine robot cover" designation and a new guide price of a paltry $3,500 for a measly increase of only $2,925 or a percentage increase of only 509% over the previous year's guide price. :censored::tonofbricks:

End of story. doh!doh!doh!lol

I don’t think it was anything special back in the old days.

Here’s a couple of pictures from a Boston convention in 1974.

A girl is reading Capt America 162 behind a booth in the Hotel Statler on 2/24/74.

Take a close look and you can see there is a Fantastic 3 on the wall!

What other books do you see?

img1445A_zps24iqa438.jpg

Here’s another view and you can see the Fantastic 3 is the most expensive book on the wall priced at $22.

Maybe nobody has bought that book because it was greatly overpriced at $22 then! :D

img1446A_zpsliacqmsl.jpg

very nice vintage pics as always Jeff :)