• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic comics 3

100 posts in this topic

When did Fantastic 3 break out and become a highly desirable book?

To be precise, it was approximately at 6:53:28 PM on Friday January 27, 1995 when I bumped into Stephen Fishler at the grand opening of the Diamond International Galleries in Timonium, Maryland. :gossip:

Steve came up to me and shook my hand and then proceeded to ask me what kind of books I was interested in. Being the total dummy that I was, I stupidly responded that I was looking for early Fox books with cover artwork by Lou Fine. I instantly saw a glint in his eye and a smile cross his face like a gunfighter ready to draw his gun. At that moment, I knew right away I should have told him something like those super rare and impossible to find early red hot issues of Image and Valiant books. doh!lol

Needless to say, the early Fox books which I had been picking up quietly for reasonable dollars all of a sudden became the hottest books in the vintage comic market and basically tripled in price virtually overnight before the night was out. The Fantastic 3 which you was asking about was still grouped in as part of the Fantastic #3 - #5 run in the '95 Overstreet with a guide value of only $575. With Fishler's deep interest now sparked on this particular book, the Overstreet guide for 1996 broke the Fantastic 3 out on its own with a "classic Lou Fine robot cover" designation and a new guide price of a paltry $3,500 for a measly increase of only $2,925 or a percentage increase of only 509% over the previous year's guide price. :censored::tonofbricks:

End of story. doh!doh!doh!lol

at least you can say you helped change the market on that book forever :golfclap:

Metro must have 20 copies of this book now, or about half of all remaining. They've been hoarding them since the 1990s. They will sell none. POS. Utterly ridiculous, for a comic "dealer". Anybody know the story of what's really going on with that?

Fishler is also a collector. It's his favorite comic.

Which has always made me wonder, what else he and Vincent keep for their own collections. I mean it's possible that some of what passes through their office for co signment gets a straight out offer I would think. Movie posters are my second hobby after comics, and Fishlers Frankenstein poster is....MONSTER! (Ba dum bum!)

because it's so very great. I figure a good should sell for vicinity of 10K--if i still needed one, i'd sure pay that.

i wouldn't have any interest at all in a coverless; the book is ALL cover, and whatever cachet it holds in the hobby would be as gone as the missing cover.

You need to crack yours out. It has one of the best early interiors I've ever seen. Just great early Sci-Fi. IIRC it has 2 Fletcher Hanks stories and a killer octopus story.

This is one book I would suggest people handle as little as possible. The spine is extremely weak and prone to splitting with the least provocation. [/quote

I know exactly what you mean. My copy has no back cover also . the front looks about VG, pages are nice also. Looks great in a mylar.I'm happy with it.. :cloud9:

Metro must have 20 copies of this book now, or about half of all remaining. They've been hoarding them since the 1990s. They will sell none. POS. Utterly ridiculous, for a comic "dealer". Anybody know the story of what's really going on with that?

Which has always made me wonder, what else he and Vincent keep for their own collections. I mean it's possible that some of what passes through their office for co signment gets a straight out offer I would think. Movie posters are my second hobby after comics, and Fishlers Frankenstein poster is....MONSTER! (Ba dum bum!)

Go visit their office and you'll see. It's mostly on display in the form of Original Art. Possibly one of the best OA collections in the world.

Go visit their office and you'll see. It's mostly on display in the form of Original Art. Possibly one of the best OA collections in the world.

Yeah, I have. I work not too far from them. I usually just go pick up my auction wins in person In stead of snail mail. But for anyone who hasn't, if you're in town, it is certainly worth seeing in person.

Has there been any new information uncovered to identify which of the two printings of the comic are the first printing vs the second printing?

Never heard this before, anyone have any info?

My copy has no back cover also .

The back cover for Fantastic 3 is a generic catalog ad, but the inside back cover is a house ad for what is called a "Comic Scope". My copy (the Larson) has that coupon clipped out (not the coupon from the generic ad).

To get the comic scope (a very basic projector), someone had to send in a coupon from Fantastic, Mystery Men, and Wonderworld Comics, along with .05 cents for postage.

I presume that some back covers were simply removed instead of just clipping the coupon.

The back cover for Fantastic 3 is a generic catalog ad, but the inside back cover is a house ad for what is called a "Comic Scope". My copy (the Larson) has that coupon clipped out (not the coupon from the generic ad).

Never knew you had the Larson copy of this book. Must be very upsetting to Fishler not to have either the Church copy of the Larson copy of his so-called favorite comic book.

It's really unfortunate to hear that the coupon has been clipped out of the back cover. :( I guess it's still a lot better than having the coupon clipped out if it was on the front cover of this classic book.

With this clipped coupon, any idea if CGC would simply now grade this out as an Incomplete 0.5 graded copy or would they do it justice and give it an appropriate Qualified grade. hm

Vincent told me his favorite book is Amazing Adventures 11 which he hoards and also has the original cover art as well. I believe Fischler has (only!) 10 copies of Fantastic 3 but they are all nice.

Vincent told me his favorite book is Amazing Adventures 11 which he hoards and also has the original cover art as well. I believe Fischler has (only!) 10 copies of Fantastic 3 but they are all nice.

Thanks for the info on Vincent. Wow, you never know. Would not have been my guess.

As for Fishler...only 10 copies of FC3? Slacker! :D

Never knew you had the Larson copy of this book. Must be very upsetting to Fishler not to have either the Church copy of the Larson copy of his so-called favorite comic book.

It's really unfortunate to hear that the coupon has been clipped out of the back cover. :( I guess it's still a lot better than having the coupon clipped out if it was on the front cover of this classic book.

With this clipped coupon, any idea if CGC would simply now grade this out as an Incomplete 0.5 graded copy or would they do it justice and give it an appropriate Qualified grade. hm

Asking Steve what holder CGC would use on his book is kinda like asking a vegetarian if they prefer beef or pork.

Thanks for the info on Vincent. Wow, you never know. Would not have been my guess.

As for Fishler...only 10 copies of FC3? Slacker! :D

A decade ago I counted 13 low grade unattractive copies of Fantastic 3 in their office showcase.

My copy has no back cover also .

To get the comic scope (a very basic projector), someone had to send in a coupon from Fantastic, Mystery Men, and Wonderworld Comics, along with .05 cents for postage.

I presume that some back covers were simply removed instead of just clipping the coupon.

That's food for thought. BTW has anybody ever come across a Comic Scope??? I've seen the ads for it in my other Fox books. And who could forget Kooba Cola.. That Victor Fox , quite the huckster. lol