• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed.

95 posts in this topic

I'm always polite when I ask someone this, and I'm never pushy about it. I just ask their opinion.

The questions themselves are pushy.

By selling the book raw the seller is giving a huge discount to the prices that CGC 9.8 books would bring. Even if the book might get a 9.8 grade, any assurances that the seller gives could be used by you to hit him over the head with a return or negative rating if you find something you do not like about the book.

Generally the buyer should expect to get what they pay for. If you are expecting raw books to be 9.8s when they are priced lower than that you should understand why the seller may not want to deal with you.

Anyone that has sold more than a handful of raw books on eBay has been on the receiving end of this question. Personally, I'll usually answer the question. If the book is high enough grade, I've already considered slabbing it myself and decided against it for one reason or another. Thus far, I've never had it come back to bite me, but then again, I never offer an opinion higher than NM+, and I don't sell any raw books on eBay worth more than a few hundred dollars - it's not worth the potential mishaps to me to do so.

On a side note, my personal favorite trend has to be the frequency of "What grade is this book" when my listing title specifies "NM+" or "VF." More and more people want the number grade, or can't translate between the two, or simply don't read the listing and instead only look at the pictures.

I once had someone asking me if a raw book that I was advertising as F/VF had a chance of getting a 9.8 if pressed...

A 7.0 to a 9.8? :roflmao: Nothing surprises me anymore.

Separate from above, if there is only one photo for a comic which may or may not be blurry and I ask if spine tics exist before I drop a decent chunk of change, I feel that is a fair inquiry.

I once had someone asking me if a raw book that I was advertising as F/VF had a chance of getting a 9.8 if pressed...

Separate from above, if there is only one photo for a comic which may or may not be blurry and I ask if spine tics exist before I drop a decent chunk of change, I feel that is a fair inquiry.

Honestly, that is the biggest issue I have with buying raw books now especially on high end books. I know slabbing can be a annoying, and you can miss the best time to sell by waiting for books to come back. But most of the time I do think, if this books is so high grade and you want $100 for it, why did you not spend the $18 so you could get $250 for it? Not to say i never take a risk on a raw book, but I always temper my expectations.

When I personally have sold raw books, I try to under grade slightly, and limit selling of raws to mid grade or lower value books.

I'm always polite when I ask someone this, and I'm never pushy about it. I just ask their opinion.

The questions themselves are pushy.

By selling the book raw the seller is giving a huge discount to the prices that CGC 9.8 books would bring. Even if the book might get a 9.8 grade, any assurances that the seller gives could be used by you to hit him over the head with a return or negative rating if you find something you do not like about the book.

Generally the buyer should expect to get what they pay for. If you are expecting raw books to be 9.8s when they are priced lower than that you should understand why the seller may not want to deal with you.

This.

There are dealers who grade strictly and will grade raw books up to 9.8 (Doug Sulipa comes to mind)...but they charge accordingly.

It's one thing to try and locate raw 9.8s and quite another to try and snag raw 9.8s at 9.4 (or less) prices. If the later is your thing that's fine, and I get that most are looking for 'meat on the bone'. But understand what it is that you're doing: trying to scoop up raw 9.8s at a discount and you're asking the seller "hey, can you take the extra time and effort to go over this with a fine-tooth comb to make sure you're leaving a big chunk of money on the table?".

There was a thread that showed examples of 8.0's becoming 9.2's and 9.4's.

Also 8.5's becoming 9.2's, and (I believe) a 4.0 jumping to a 7.5 and finally to a 9.0 :o

So your example may not be all that exaggerated. Unfortunately.

edit: and a 7.0 to a 9.2

But understand what it is that you're doing: trying to scoop up raw 9.8s at a discount and you're asking the seller "hey, can you take the extra time and effort to go over this with a fine-tooth comb to make sure you're leaving a big chunk of money on the table?".

What's wrong with that? Sounds perfectly reasonable. :juggle:

But understand what it is that you're doing: trying to scoop up raw 9.8s at a discount and you're asking the seller "hey, can you take the extra time and effort to go over this with a fine-tooth comb to make sure you're leaving a big chunk of money on the table?".

You misquoted the OP - he didn't say that (someone else did) - just an FYI (thumbs u

Didn't say it was wrong. You conveniently cut out the part where I said "that's fine" and "I understand people want 'meat on the bone'". The OP seamed a bit taken aback by sellers' responses to his question. I was just pointing out why that may be the case.

But while it may not be "wrong" is it "perfectly reasonable"?

You're asking the seller to take the extra time and effort to go over the book again to determine if it's a 9.8. If he does determine that it's a 9.8 - which would sell for a premium - you expect the seller to still be bound to sell the book at the posted NM price.

What if, in response to your question, the seller said "Sure, I'll reexamine the book. But if I determine that it's a 9.8 I will adjust the price accordingly." What would everyone think of that?

There was a thread that showed examples of 8.0's becoming 9.2's and 9.4's.

Also 8.5's becoming 9.2's, and (I believe) a 4.0 jumping to a 7.5 and finally to a 9.0 :o

So your example may not be all that exaggerated. Unfortunately.

edit: and a 7.0 to a 9.2

and a 6.5 to a 9.0

I think the OP question is basically a waste of time for both people. If the seller has an good opinion that a book is a possible 9.8 then I'd assume they would list that in the description or get it graded themselves. Just buy the book and roll the dice that you can get a 9.8 for cheap (e-bay will let you return it for pretty much any reason) or grab the book in a slab.

I think the OP question is basically a waste of time for both people. If the seller has an good opinion that a book is a possible 9.8 then I'd assume they would list that in the description or get it graded themselves. Just buy the book and roll the dice that you can get a 9.8 for cheap (e-bay will let you return it for pretty much any reason) or grab the book in a slab.

Maybe if they advertise it as a 9.8. NM qualifies as 9.4 or higher. If the book comes back a 9.6 and it was advertised as a NM and the buyer complains that the book didn't reach 9.8 then there is no return.

eBay is no longer the land of perpetual buyer's remorse that some think that it is. I recently had a buyer that wrote me after he received a video game that he changed his mind and wanted to return it. "I just don't want it anymore ha ha"

I said no and he responded that I take returns. I countered that as per eBay policy buyer's remorse is not a reason for return.

He initiated a complaint and escalated it for eBay to decide.

eBay sided with me and denied his return. They agreed that the item was as described and delivered in a timely fashion and that buyer's remorse is not a reason for a return.

If a book is advertised as NM and comes back a 9.6, the item was accurately described. I do not believe they would do or force anything upon the seller.

How does just buyer vs seller opinion of a grade play into returns?

If seller says "NM" and buyer gets it and says, "Now that I have it in hand I disagree I think it's more VF/NM".

Where does Ebay usually side on unofficial grading disagreements on collectibles?

How does just buyer vs seller opinion of a grade play into returns?

If seller says "NM" and buyer gets it and says, "Now that I have it in hand I disagree I think it's more VF/NM".

Where does Ebay usually side on unofficial grading disagreements on collectibles?

Especially if the buyer doesn't state they are returning it because of cold feet. If they say the book was not as advertised (even if it was) I'd say its 95% in favor of the buyer.