• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Per Rick’s request, moving on to other topics...

I check World Wide Comics website every day looking for Planets, and I just noticed a 14 was posted and already sold! Why?! :cry:

Because comic collecting is designed to be like that. For one collector Planet 14's fall into his lap all day long, for you it will be an ongoing struggle for years to obtain a copy. You will be second highest bidder on several copies. You will log in to find a copy for sale but before you can post "take-it" someone else will beat you to it by mere seconds. one day you don't check Worldwide's site, that will be the day they post their Planet 14 and someone else will buy it.

Welcome to collecting hard to find Planet Comics!

When I was very actively buying the title to complete my run I checked a list of websites every morning/ every lunch/ every evening looking for Planets. Yes you do remind me of me...

Edited by Artboy99

There is more!

One day you will actually obtain a Planet 14. it will be a 1.0 and you will pay $1200 for it, then the very next day someone will list a 3.0 for sale for the same price! :frustrated:

My Achilles heel seems to be Planet 66. I bought a rather beat copy off a local friend for $80 CDN. It is a "good" at best, and I have been trying to upgrade it for 5 years. I have seen several 66's available and sell over the last 4+ years.

A 7.0 I really wanted the auction was ending on an evening I was out at a comic show as a vendor and I knew it would be ending while we are at dinner after take down.

I tried to log in using my phone, to find I could not connect at all. By the time I connected the auction had ended at a price I was for sure willing to bid and then an hour later one of our fellow boardies posted that he had won it. He already had a 4.5, and posts that copy for sale and sold it during the night while I was asleep.

Other copies have just eclipsed the price I was willing to pay. Sometimes these books become "I must acquire it and I don't care how much it is" and buyers are willing to bid whatever it takes. I have been there/ done that myself, so I understand ( I am talking about YOU Venus 19 CGC 4.5 !! )

Then their is value escalation. A book you saw listed 3 months ago sold for $1000, suddenly a similar copy is priced at $3000. You just can't bring yourself to pay that price when so short a time ago you saw it sell for much less. You think "I will be patient...a copy will come up for sale in my price range.!" Then years pass and you never see another one for sale.

My favorite was a book was listed for sale on the boards. Someone else had beat me to it so I moved on from that thread assuming the book was gone. Then the book got relisted in the thread because the buyer did not actually buy it, then of course it got purchased by someone else! Arrrgghh! Hehehehe

Yes, "fun" stuff collecting these books :)

Edited by Artboy99

2 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Question to all the veteran Planet/FH collectors.  Which Church Planets from 1-65 would you say have superior color strikes for that particular issue?

I’m excluding 66+ because from what I’ve seen (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) those issues seem to be from after FH fixed their color issues, and generally all have good color, your typical comic book aging/fading not withstanding for any particular copy. 

assuming these scans are not tweaked ( and I can not be certain of that based on the source ) they ALL have excellent color. Church kept his books in piles and most the books were covered and not exposed to sunlight so it makes sense.

29 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

There is more!

One day you will actually obtain a Planet 14. it will be a 1.0 and you will pay $1200 for it, then the very next day someone will list a 3.0 for sale for the same price! :frustrated:

My Achilles heel seems to be Planet 66. I bought a rather beat copy off a local friend for $80 CDN. It is a "good" at best, and I have been trying to upgrade it for 5 years. I have seen several 66's available and sell over the last 4+ years.

A 7.0 I really wanted the auction was ending on an evening I was out at a comic show as a vendor and I knew it would be ending while we are at dinner after take down.

I tried to log in using my phone, to find I could not connect at all. By the time I connected the auction had ended at a price I was for sure willing to bid and then an hour later one of our fellow boardies posted that he had won it. He already had a 4.5, and posts that copy for sale and sold it during the night while I was asleep.

Other copies have just eclipsed the price I was willing to pay. Sometimes these books become "I must acquire it and I don't care how much it is" and buyers are willing to bid whatever it takes. I have been there/ done that myself, so I understand ( I am talking about YOU Venus 19 CGC 4.5 !! )

Then their is value escalation. A book you saw listed 3 months ago sold for $1000, suddenly a similar copy is priced at $3000. You just can't bring yourself to pay that price when so short a time ago you saw it sell for much less. You think "I will be patient...a copy will come up for sale in my price range.!" Then years pass and you never see another one for sale.

My favorite was a book was listed for sale on the boards. Someone else had beat me to it so I moved on from that thread assuming the book was gone. Then the book got relisted in the thread because the buyer did not actually buy it, then of course it got purchased by someone else! Arrrgghh! Hehehehe

Yes, "fun" stuff collecting these books :)

I guess I’ll just have to go back to collecting Silver Age ASM, tons of copies out there all the time.  Who am I kidding?  There’s no turning back...

Yeah, it can be frustrating but that challenge really is part of the fun.  It’s what makes it so sweet when you finally land a copy of a book you’ve been hunting!  

I’m hooked, and that means I will continue to live and die every day by those close misses and sweet wins. 

47 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Perhaps I’m not communicating the question the right way because I’ve seen several Church Fiction House books with  very poor colors that had nothing to do with sun damage or poor storage.  It was more luck of the draw with what was available or sent to his region when Church got his copy.

For example the Church Wings 82 is very orangish with almost no red, and is what most I think would call a poor color strike.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/wings-comics-82-mile-high-pedigree-fiction-house-1947-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7039-91415.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I understood your question. I still say these are all exceptional color strike.

I am "wow" over every book.

I would say the yellows are the color that is lacking in these books. But because it is like that on all of them is why I said earlier how legitimate are these scans? Metropolis is known to "juice" their scans so it is possible they have been scaled more towards RED because the reds in all of these books are spectacular.

EDIT: the yellows on the 27 and 35 are extra strong. Suggests scan manipulation IMHO

Edited by Artboy99

42 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I guess I’ll just have to go back to collecting Silver Age ASM, tons of copies out there all the time.  Who am I kidding?  There’s no turning back...

Yeah, it can be frustrating but that challenge really is part of the fun.  It’s what makes it so sweet when you finally land a copy of a book you’ve been hunting!  

I’m hooked, and that means I will continue to live and die every day by those close misses and sweet wins. 

There was an older fellow around here that I had the honor of finding the last issue of Planet that he needed for his run..... it was in the infancy days of eBay and "the" market was much more regionally oriented than today with our one click global pool. It was Planet 21 …… and he had been working on the run for decades. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

There was an older fellow around here that I had the honor of finding the last issue of Planet that he needed for his run..... it was in the infancy days of eBay and "the" market was much more regionally oriented than today with our one click global pool. It was Planet 21 …… and he had been working on the run for decades. GOD BLESS....

cool story!

I can imagine Golden age collecting pre-internet was a very different story then!

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

cool story!

I can imagine Golden age collecting pre-internet was a very different story then!

I'd say it was 15 years into my collecting before I ever even knew there was such a thing as Planet Comics lol ……. and Atlas ? I didn't know they were even associated with Marvel, they were just those weird looking beat up books that always seemed to be in the stacks at yard sales.... GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

5 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I'd say it was 15 years into my collecting before I ever even knew there was such a thing as Planet Comics lol ……. and Atlas ? I didn't know they were even associated with Marvel, they were just those weird looking beat up books that always seemed to be in the stacks at yard sales.... GOD BLESS...

Ditto - it was the photojournals that changed the game.