• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

In terms of aesthetical cover interest # 61 is the better cover IMO altho' # 7 is the more desirable book obviously.

However I think # 7 is a surprisingly weak Rivet cover considering nearly all the other Rivets which are packed with 'goings on'.  2c

You can understand the laziness coming to the end of the run, as they were beginning to run out of ideas by then. Their swansong being the awesome # 65  (worship)

Edited by Grantley Goddard

29 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

In terms of aesthetical cover interest # 61 is the better cover IMO altho' # 7 is the more desirable book obviously.

However I think # 7 is a surprisingly weak Rivet cover considering nearly all the other Rivets which are packed with 'goings on'.  2c

You can understand the laziness coming to the end of the run, as they were beginning to run out of ideas by then. Their swansong being the awesome # 65  (worship)

Agree, 7 is one of the weakest rivet covers.  I believe Doolin was responsible for those couple of swipes towards the end. It’s nice that Whitman finished out the run with some beauties.

Edited by Spyder!

47 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

24 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Agree, 7 is one of the weakest rivet covers.  I believe Doolin was responsible for those couple of swipes towards the end. It’s nice that Whitman finished out the run with some beauties.

Well, in terms of cool creepy monsters and "riveting" damsels in distress, I agree, #7, and also #9 and #12, are among the weaker rivet covers.

That said, #7 (with a cover by the great Bob Powell) has a kind of timeless Golden Age look to me, like, before they had come up with a formula for their sci-fi title. The cover to #7, and also #9 (possibly by Nick Cardy), takes a simpler approach to depicting the great unknowns of outer space, and without the later infusion of GGA that soon dominated the Planet covers -- not that there's anything wrong with that!

And if you can find #7 with awesome reds, I think it does have pretty awesome eye appeal. I also love the little alien dude in the gunnery hatch!

856980935_ScreenShot2018-10-13at3_27_00PM.png.ac71e4cfd68256d9071d4d699a6adba4.png

My 2c

This business of cover swiping was extremely prevalent in the Golden Age. It all becomes clear if you read 'The Ten Cent Plague'. This book is an absolute must if you are a GA fan. This book is a bible in terms of understanding what made the GA tick. Some  brilliant anecdotes and stories in it, not to mention some eye opening factual history.