• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

The books are lovely, but since I'm a realist and I know there is no way I'm going to win one of them, keep me in mind if any of you do win,lol.

I'm still missing about 6 books in the run and I'd like to upgrade a few others (9.0's are not necessary, 4.0's are fine;) 

Good luck everyone:) 

Only 6 books away from completing the run? That is close! Best of luck. 

1 minute ago, Spyder! said:

Only 6 books away from completing the run? That is close! Best of luck. 

I'm so glad I'm not a 'run chaser'. My tastes are far too eclectic, and that's expensive enough.

Just now, Grantley Goddard said:

I'm so glad I'm not a 'run chaser'. My tastes are far too eclectic, and that's expensive enough.

I thought I stopped being a run chaser over 10 years ago, but when it came to Planet Comics I started by just acquiring the covers I really liked. Then when I realized I had almost 60 of them I decided I might as well go for the rest LOL

15 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

I may stop being a run chaser, lol. 

I'm keeping 2 runs, Wonder Woman and Sensation.  I'm not sure about the rest. One of the books I'm missing in Planet is the 15 and 3 of the other 5 are just not covers I'm willing to spend a lot of money on. I may just keep the slabbed ones.

22 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I thought I stopped being a run chaser over 10 years ago, but when it came to Planet Comics I started by just acquiring the covers I really liked. Then when I realized I had almost 60 of them I decided I might as well go for the rest LOL

I usually only run chase on smaller runs. Books that I like or fit my tastes. I have always liked Planets. I pick them up when I don’t have one that is priced right (which happens less and less these days). I now have 45 of them starting at #3. I doubt I will ever finish them off but still fun to try...

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I think the scan is juiced towards the red side of things. Look at the CGC logo on the slab it is not blue. The yellow is again "lacking" to me. I suspect the reds are very nice on the book but not that level.

Check out my "crappy" 1.5 yellow. First scan is on my HP 7400 C and still in the slab, second scan is deslabbed and done on my large scale surface Mircotek.

I think the Microtek scan is far more accurate, but even then the yellow is brighter than the Church copy...and I think that is impossible :)

PlanetComics15cgc15_zpsdf32b738.jpg

Cover%20Split_zpsotrxtlbf.jpg

Guess it comes down to whether you prefer yellow or red. hm

Though in general for the Planet Comics run, I think the reds tend to suffer most, so there's always more interest whenever a rich red cover makes an appearance.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Sharon, which books are you missing?

Actually, Karl, @Artboy99it looks like 7, although I have a feeling I have one of these and didn't update my spreadsheet. I should put that in my profile, or something, lol.

planet
15, 24,30, 34, 35 38, 45

I'll also revise my other statement, the 45 is the only one I've seen around that I didn't grab because it was not a favorite.

I like all the Planet covers for the most part.

Edited by skypinkblu

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I may stop being a run chaser, lol. 

I'm keeping 2 runs, Wonder Woman and Sensation.  I'm not sure about the rest. One of the books I'm missing in Planet is the 15 and 3 of the other 5 are just not covers I'm willing to spend a lot of money on. I may just keep the slabbed ones.

smart (thumbsu

5 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Actually, Karl, @Artboy99it looks like 7, although I have a feeling I have one of these and didn't update my spreadsheet. I should put that in my profile, or something, lol.

planet
15, 24,30, 34, 35 38, 45

I'll also revise my other statement, the 45 is the only one I've seen around that I didn't grab because it was not a favorite.

I like all the Planet covers for the most part.

thanks for letting me know. :cloud9:

Couple of things I like and find intriguing about this cover;

I like the vibrancy of the colours on the two guys in the nosecone.

Love the statue of liberty in the background. Also note the spooky two buildings on the obviously Manhattan Island...one leaning on the other, a foreboding of the disaster to come in 2001?

Weird considering the book was published in 1949. 

Also the barefooted girl. Why??  I don't care, I love it!  

Edited by Grantley Goddard

3 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Love the statue of liberty in the background. Also note the spooky two buildings on the obviously Manhattan Island...one leaning on the other, a foreboding of the disaster to come in 2001?

even more spooky: the World Trade buildings were constructed in the early 1970's, so didn't exist at the time of the Planet Comics cover!

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

even more spooky: the World Trade buildings were constructed in the early 1970's, so didn't exist at the time of the Planet Comics cover!

That was my point.

3 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Also the barefooted girl. Why??  I don't care, I love it!  

The Twin Towers weren't even a part of Manhattan's skyline yet. I think you pointed out a lot of things that will make an already coveted book even more coveted by enticing more hunters who weren't necessarily looking for it.

Good eye!

3 minutes ago, sagii said:

The Twin Towers weren't even a part of Manhattan's skyline yet. I think you pointed out a lot of things that will make an already coveted book even more coveted by enticing more hunters who weren't necessarily looking for it.

Good eye!

Not bad for an Englishman eh? :wink: