• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Just added this one as well. In contention for my favorite Doolin cover of the run. 

B597765F-364C-49B5-82EA-A95B63DD6427.jpeg

when I was looking I could not find a copy of this book. It was the last book I needed to finish my complete run. Months after I got it I have seen several copies for sale.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:43 PM, Spyder! said:

I purchased my first issue of Planet Comics almost two and half years ago now.  I was playing around on CGCdata.com earlier and I decided to take a look at how many copies of each issue have been graded since that time.  Here are all the Planets that have been graded since I purchased my first (universal labels only).

Some things I found interesting:

A.  I remember thinking issues 65 and 66 might be pretty hard to find back when I started.  But boy have they come out in force!  Issue 65 had more copies graded in the last 2.5 years (39) than any other issue (there were only 22 copies on the census prior to that, which is a 177% increase!). Issue 66 has had 23 graded in the last 2.5 years, compared to just 22 on the census before that.

B.  Only 1 copy graded of issues 3 and 7.  Only 2 copies graded of issues 2 and 8.  Some of those with reputations for being tough books continue to show it, even with the market for Planets so hot.

C.  Issues 6, 14, and 24, which I consider to be pretty dang tough books, each had 7 new copies graded in the last 2.5 years.  Considering they each had between 13 and 16 copies graded before that, I'd say that's pretty shocking. (I don't want to leave out issue 18, which had 18 copies graded when I started and now has 9 more (total 27)!)

I know the census is a very imperfect gauge, but I do think it tells us something about both supply and demand.  I found it quite interesting to see what's happened since I got bitten by the Planet bug :insane:.

(Sorry, I don't know how to search so that Jumbo Comics 11 doesn't show up at the top of the list :nyah:)

census_june18_nov20_a.PNG

census_june18_nov20_b.PNG

census_june18_nov20_c.PNG

census_june18_nov20_d.PNG

Interesting. 

27 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

we have bookends!

Nice book

Thanks Karl.  Over 2 years ago, Planet 16 was the second Planet I ever purchased, thanks to you!  When you upgraded to an 8.5 copy, you were kind enough to sell me your 5.0 undercopy.  I've had that 5.0 copy since, but looks like it will be going to a new home soon.

4 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Thanks Karl.  Over 2 years ago, Planet 16 was the second Planet I ever purchased, thanks to you!  When you upgraded to an 8.5 copy, you were kind enough to sell me your 5.0 undercopy.  I've had that 5.0 copy since, but looks like it will be going to a new home soon.

My 8.5

Planet%2016_zpsaun9zvov.jpg?width=590&he