• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Spyder! said:

That date stamp looks really similar to the one on your #22.  Do you know if these 2 books were from the same collection?

They are from the same collection, very observant.  From the sci-fi writer Raymond Miller.  I don't know too much about him but I've seen things written by him in some fanzines.  Earl Shaw sold off a lot of his collection back in 2018.  My copies of 20 (didn't post that one since I upgraded), 22, 28, and 31 are all from his collection.  I think I got about a dozen comics in all, including Fight 13.  He was a fan of trying to do restoration with tape.  

49 minutes ago, mwotka said:

They are from the same collection, very observant.  From the sci-fi writer Raymond Miller.  I don't know too much about him but I've seen things written by him in some fanzines.  Earl Shaw sold off a lot of his collection back in 2018.  My copies of 20 (didn't post that one since I upgraded), 22, 28, and 31 are all from his collection.  I think I got about a dozen comics in all, including Fight 13.  He was a fan of trying to do restoration with tape.  

Funny, something about the name or the mention of the tape caused me to remember a Fiction House book I once had.  Went digging through some old pictures and found this! Definitely the same date stamp. 

4F9D9043-021A-436D-9DC0-32F175B350F8.jpeg

Flex, the colors on your 32 are unreal.  Almost seem enhanced compared to some, neon-esqeue even, but that is the fun about these rare color strikes with Fiction House.  The colors on Karl's copy are pretty amazing too.  And can be hard to see some through the slabs, glad you showed the before pic.  I thought I had a scan of my 32 but can't find at the moment so will have to catch up on that one once I have a chance to get it rescanned.  This is so fun seeing everyone's books all at once.  

I tracked down the high grade copy with those colors to Heritage.

Planet Comics #32 CGC 9.0

On July 7 2002 they had two copies like this in 9.0, with this being the fresher of the two.

While the range of variation across all copies is exceptional, this is one cover I think holds up extremely well regardless of the color strike. In fact, when I first saw the copy in the listing above, I was by then so accustomed to copies that seemed perfect with yellow backgrounds, I thought there must be something wrong with the scan! That's when I began to realize there was something up with FH colors.