• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2018 at 2:45 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

I also find that different issues are 'common' or 'scarce' at different times. A bunch of #8's were listed over a period of a couple of years a while back.  Of course, if a given issue turns up after long absence and starts a bidding war, it will bring out other copies. So to an extent it seems to go in cycles.

Praise the Comic Gods for those cycles. Without them I'd be nowhere in my effort to complete my run. Let's face it, Gerber aside, Planets 1-20 are all just really hard to find.

6 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Praise the Comic Gods for those cycles. Without them I'd be nowhere in my effort to complete my run. Let's face it, Gerber aside, Planets 1-20 are all just really hard to find.

For strait is the gate, and narrow is the path that leadeth to the Planets, and few there be that find it.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:07 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

It was one of the first of my current run to fall into my clutches. I think page quality kept the bidding down, luckily for me!

Planet Comics #71 CGC 8.0.jpg

Beautiful copy!  You would never guess the pq given how bright the white areas are on the cover. 

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Beautiful copy!  You would never guess the pq given how bright the white areas are on the cover. 

It will just be the fringes of the pages I'm guessing. Have cracked one like this before and that's what I found. I wonder how much it was knocked down by the pq? Any ideas?

Edited by Flex Mentallo

1 hour ago, Flex Mentallo said:

It will just be the fringes of the pages I'm guessing. Have cracked one like this before and that's what I found. I wonder how much it was knocked down by the pq? Any ideas?

I would guess at least one full grade

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

48 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

I would guess at least one full grade

This whole pq thing. I don’t quite get it. How many pages need to be tan in order to label it “tan” pages? Seems an arbitrary designation, much like the sb designation, which can be slapped onto a label with a whisper of a page flake. Does pq reduce to the absolute lowest, e.g., in a 64-page book of dentine white page luminescence, with just one single tan page, does the book get labeled as “tan to white” pages? Put differently, is there any rhyme or reason here?

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎26 at 12:21 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

One issue puzzles me - why doesnt #3 get the love of surrounding issues? I mean black cover, classic sci fi scene?

Planet Comics #3 CGC 8.5.jpg

It is an awesome cover in my opinion!

It is more easily found than the books around it is my guess.

Here is mine:

PlanetComics3CGC75front_zps3731f3cd.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

One issue puzzles me - why doesnt #3 get the love of surrounding issues? I mean black cover, classic sci fi scene?

Personally I love Planet 3 (I have the Larson), but it is surrounded by so many other great issues (and not as scarce as those surrounding issues) that it's hard for this one to keep up.

Great book, nonetheless! :luhv:

On 1/26/2018 at 2:21 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

On 1/27/2018 at 5:42 PM, Artboy99 said:

It is an awesome cover in my opinion!

It is more easily found than the books around it is my guess.

Here is mine:

PlanetComics3CGC75front_zps3731f3cd.jpg

Holy Fiction House! I think if most copies of this book looked as spectacular as these two, then Planet #3 would easily rival the best of them. I agree with Steve that #3 (and #4) get overshadowed by #1, 2, 5, and 6.

Here is my copy, a CGC 5.5 o/w ("1 piece of tape on spine of cover"):

EZgvABW.jpg

22 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Holy Fiction House! I think if most copies of this book looked as spectacular as these two, then Planet #3 would easily rival the best of them. I agree with Steve that #3 (and #4) get overshadowed by #1, 2, 5, and 6.

Here is my copy, a CGC 5.5 o/w ("1 piece of tape on spine of cover"):

EZgvABW.jpg

If you read your books more carefully, you wouldn't have to tape them. :taptaptap:

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If you read your books more carefully, you wouldn't have to tape them. :taptaptap:

Good point. But I like the extra shine it brings to the cover. And the stamp of individuality: it may be the only Planet 3 with tape just so!  :insane: