• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve purchased a lot of pre 1950 books with minor CT with Universal. 

If the CT was unneeded they count it as a defect and can call it Universal. This may have been 7.5 without it. There is a whole thread on this topic somewhere that I read before. 

Hmm. Interesting. So technically, you might be able to remove the CT and "unrestore" it to a 7.5. :idea:

Anyhow, it is an absolutely gorgeous book. (thumbsu

On 2/16/2018 at 12:03 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Those PS Art books are a good resource for sure, but the color reproduction of the interior pages is very disappointing (at least in Vol. 1 = issues 1-4), and so, for me, not really much like reading a real comic. :frown:

Though for better or worse, it has helped me resist deslabbing my Planet #2. 

Interesting.  I thought about possibly picking those up a some point, but now I think I will pass. 

On 2/18/2018 at 6:10 PM, Zolnerowich said:

That's an insanely colorful copy of that book. Super congrats!

Nice to see you have such a good relationship with CGC. Only the top players get the royal treatment, e.g., Universal grade with color touch :nyah:

There's a line on the submission form:  "Would you prefer a slab that's Blue ___/ Purple ___"

If you leave it blank, it defaults to Purple. 

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Which issue of Planet Comics do you guys think is the most underrated? 

Planet 36 - an imposing central figure, girl in distress, black cover, etc. Never owned one (this image from GCD).

Planet36.jpg

23 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Which issue of Planet Comics do you guys think is the most underrated? For me, it would be a toss up between #32 and #49, but on balance I'd go with #32. I think it has one of the most dynamic compositions.

Planet Comics #32 CGC 7.5.jpg

I think it partly depends on how “underrated” is defined. I assume you mean issues that don’t get the attention they might deserve. Or, “underrated” as in issues off the radar, selling at lukewarm prices that might be good investments. Of course the two definitions often end up being the same thing...

But going with the lack-of-attention hypothesis, I’d suggest Planet 38. It has a nice color palette with rich background green, a fantastically floating female combatant, and nutty GA gaping dino-monsters with an impressive display of their soft palate.

271A011F-E4CC-424F-A840-38C61D82786D.thumb.jpeg.395994263d8558ac6409cfe59026dc8e.jpeg

Plus a Saturday morning page 1 splash by Thornecliffe Herrick, er, L. Renée.

E002846D-3D75-4D6A-A18D-F0C9A4215439.thumb.jpeg.31772fb92755e6f5b30dfc82ee700da8.jpeg