• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'PLANET COMICS' (is deserving of its own thread)
29 29

6,186 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, as a Planet Comics collecting newbie, I was hoping to get some insight from the boards.  I was looking at census numbers for some of my favorite books later in the run (65, 66, 70, 71) and noticed that 65 and 66 have significantly smaller census numbers than 70 and 71.  When I looked a little closer, I realized that 65 and 66 have just about the lowest volume of any Planet Comics published after 1945.  Does anyone know why these books seem scarce compared to some other books later in the run?  They also have the lowest average grade for late run books.  I have included a screen shot from cgcdata.com to show some of the volumes (universal only).  Thanks in advance for any answers!

planets_65_66_census_low.JPG

The census is a good tool but many copies out in the wild that haven't been slabbed.I have seen a few that would chart topper worthy but until those come out of the closets you can't be sure of anything  .My 2 cents (thumbsu

14 minutes ago, comicjack said:

The census is a good tool but many copies out in the wild that haven't been slabbed.I have seen a few that would chart topper worthy but until those come out of the closets you can't be sure of anything  .My 2 cents (thumbsu

I agree, there is no way to know for sure how many are out in the wild.  But these 2 issues are pretty popular and typically census numbers are a little larger for more popular issues (obviously, exceptions can apply).  Also, I think submissions tend to lean towards the higher grades of what collectors have.  Once again, I agree completely that the census is an imperfect and incomplete tool for analyzing these things, but the same imperfections and incompleteness should apply to the other late run issues too, not just 65 and 66 right?  That's what's got me thinking...

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

I agree, there is no way to know for sure how many are out in the wild.  But these 2 issues are pretty popular and typically census numbers are a little larger for more popular issues (obviously, exceptions can apply).  Also, I think submissions tend to lean towards the higher grades of what collectors have.  Once again, I agree completely that the census is an imperfect and incomplete tool for analyzing these things, but the same imperfections and incompleteness should apply to the other late run issues too, not just 65 and 66 right?  That's what's got me thinking...

I see both books for sale enough (almost always low grade) that I certainly wouldn't call them scarce.  Scarce in high grade?  Sure.

10 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I see both books for sale enough (almost always low grade) that I certainly wouldn't call them scarce.  Scarce in high grade?  Sure.

I Agree. These two books are two of my favorites and they just seem to never come around above 6.0 and 65 seems even rarer in that grade or higher to me. 

11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I Agree. These two books are two of my favorites and they just seem to never come around above 6.0 and 65 seems even rarer in that grade or higher to me. 

Scarce in high grade would explain lower average grades and also lower total # of submissions IMO.  I just wonder why these 2 are tougher in higher grades compared to the issues before and after it.  Both have such awesome covers.

4 hours ago, Spyder! said:

Scarce in high grade would explain lower average grades and also lower total # of submissions IMO.  I just wonder why these 2 are tougher in higher grades compared to the issues before and after it.  Both have such awesome covers.

I own a CGC 5.0 copy of issue 65. My 66 is a good/2.0. Every time I find a nice copy of 66 for sale someone else bids more than me or buys it before I see it for sale (looking at you Ricksneatstuff) I will keep hunting...

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

The Planet Comics title was shut down in 1950 with issue 64.  65 and 66 were part of a re-boot starting at the end of 1951 and perhaps were in lower print numbers/lower popularity.  Perhaps only with 67 did volume of publication/purchase improve significantly.

There was also a fair amount of reprint material in the end of the run and the new material was unrelated to the continuing series stories that graced the book for so many years....  some of the older Planet collectors I knew considered them to be "less important" because of that. The stunning Whitman covers on many of them have won over most of today's aficionados. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

15 hours ago, adamstrange said:

The Planet Comics title was shut down in 1950 with issue 64.  65 and 66 were part of a re-boot starting at the end of 1951 and perhaps were in lower print numbers/lower popularity.  Perhaps only with 67 did volume of publication/purchase improve significantly.

Posts like this are one reason these forums will always be far and above more substantive than any form of social media. Never knew this, but it certainly makes sense! 

23 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Thank you for sharing this! Discussion up to this point had really discussed that there was a scarcity of these issues (at least in higher grade) but not WHY, and now we have something.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:33 PM, adamstrange said:

@adamstrange always comes through with these historical pearls!

Interestingly, as per comics.org, the indicia for Planet 64 and 65 states that these issues were still published by Love Romance Publications, but then for Planet 66, no indicia information was included at all with the issue. Almost like issue 66 had gone rogue.

With issue 67, Love Romance Publications is back in the record and persisted through the end of the run (#73).

On 7/7/2018 at 9:35 PM, jimjum12 said:

There was also a fair amount of reprint material in the end of the run and the new material was unrelated to the continuing series stories that graced the book for so many years....  some of the older Planet collectors I knew considered them to be "less important" because of that. The stunning Whitman covers on many of them have won over most of today's aficionados. GOD BLESS...

I'm not exactly an "older" Planet collector, or I hope not anyhow! But for a long time I was one of those people with low enthusiasm for issues 65-70 because the interiors were all reprints. As @jimjum12 suggests, I have been won over by these late issues with their great covers, esp. 65, 66, 70-72. 

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I'm not exactly an "older" Planet collector, or I hope not anyhow! But for a long time I was one of those people with low enthusiasm for issues 65-70 because the interiors were all reprints. As @jimjum12 suggests, I have been won over by these late issues with their great covers, esp. 65, 66, 70-72. 

I used to feel that way too..... kind of like tradition dictated that I was SUPPOSED to feel that way …… but kind of like that episode of 'Little Rascals" with the "He Man Woman Haters Club"..... "I'm sorry Spanky, but I don't want to join the club, I have to be my own Man...". Imagine what adamstange's collection would be like if he had blindly followed status quo ? …. or William's for that matter. A couple of those tail end issues are even mostly new material.... just not the serials. A couple of Bill Benulis masterpieces are in a couple. GOD BLESS....