• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relative Humidity And Collecting Comics

24 posts in this topic

So in NYC the relative humidity is usually between 56 - 68%.

I know some comic collectors have said that the best relative humidity is 50% give or take 10%. Do any of you ever worry about climate control where you live at?

I have no central air, we use an A.C. in the summer, and water heated radiators in the winter.

I live in NY and have NO A/C. Some years are worse than others for humidity. I have half of my collection in Mylite2 and the other in junky bags. I bag all my TPBs because of the humdity. I really hate the wavy pages. For the most part, I haven't noticed anything permanent. If I read a book and it is humid out, the pages will get wavy but they fall flat once I bag it up and re-shelf. My comics all seem fine. I check them every year or so. Many of the junky bags are due for a changing too but still haven't caused issues either.

When I started seriously collecting in 1981, (as opposed to just reading comics and not trying to keep them in nice shape) I didn't have any choice but to store my comics in a non AC house. My parents didn't get central air installed until many years later.

What I did was store all my comics bagged in boxes in my closet. Since I kept it closed most of the time, it was a fairly stable environment. Never had a problem with humidity damage and this was in CT where humidity can get pretty bad and both temp and humidity can vary wildly at certain times of the year

You can get yourself a hydrometer and a dehumidifier and then it's easy to keep the environment around 50%.

+1 . To me, I am more concerned about keeping a STABLE environment for the comics . 50% is manageable and a good number.

I once put a humidifier and a dehumidifier in the same room and let them fight it out.

Heard Steven Wright deliver that line live at The Mosque in Richmond, Virginia in 1985.

I put spot remover on my dog and he disappeared.

So in NYC the relative humidity is usually between 56 - 68%.

I know some comic collectors have said that the best relative humidity is 50% give or take 10%. Do any of you ever worry about climate control where you live at?

I have no central air, we use an A.C. in the summer, and water heated radiators in the winter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-70-Pint-Dehumidifier-ADEL70LR/203661857?N=5yc1vZc4l8Z25egxhZ2bcq1f

These work well. I've got two of these units and one is drained into a bidet that's never used on the second floor.

These dehumidifiers suck in so much moisture that unless you find a way to drain it you'll be changing the bucket several times per day; especially if you leave it on continuous mode.

Though I've never had to return one I'd buy the two year warranty for an additional $20 per unit.

I once put a humidifier and a dehumidifier in the same room and let them fight it out.

Heard Steven Wright deliver that line live at The Mosque in Richmond, Virginia in 1985.

I put spot remover on my dog and he disappeared.

The other night I accidentally put my car keys into the front door of my house. It started right up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-70-Pint-Dehumidifier-ADEL70LR/203661857?N=5yc1vZc4l8Z25egxhZ2bcq1f

These work well. I've got two of these units and one is drained into a bidet that's never used on the second floor.

These dehumidifiers suck in so much moisture that unless you find a way to drain it you'll be changing the bucket several times per day; especially if you leave it on continuous mode.

Though I've never had to return one I'd buy the two year warranty for an additional $20 per unit.

Interesting to note that the system itself well make the environment slightly warmer, due to the exhaust and if an AC is running it will make the AC work harder b/c it pulls the moisture out the air.

I do notice though that when my AC is on the humidity level is lower, so the dehumidifier might be a good go to for the winter when my AC is not being used.

Interesting to note that the system itself well make the environment slightly warmer, due to the exhaust and if an AC is running it will make the AC work harder b/c it pulls the moisture out the air.

I do notice though that when my AC is on the humidity level is lower, so the dehumidifier might be a good go to for the winter when my AC is not being used.

It does put a slight bit of heat but that's the motor running and inherent in all portable dehumidifiers. This is a non issue if you have the room temp set to around 68 F and in all honesty in a 500+ sq/f room you won't notice a temp change at all; only if you put your hand beside the fan. Plus these units are surprisingly quiet (ambient level background noise).

My friend gave me a non electrical hygrometer that later I found was off by +10% after buying two digital ones. Interstingly enough, in my home it's always 45% to 50% RH, I thought since it's the summer months it would be way higher b/c outside the RH is reportedly much higher. I guess the AC does keep it low. Have to see how the winter holds up now.