• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just these Alex Schomburg Covers / XELA
3 3

149 posts in this topic

I don't think that is a Xela cover. It still looks like work by Norris or someone...

It's totally Schomburg. Maybe not "Xela" since it's not full airbrush.

I totally agree. Its Schomburg. The woman's face is a give away.

Always wanted a Schomburg cover of any kind, but never have gotten one sadly.

I always wondered, was there a reason he signed his airbrush covers Xela?

He probably wanted a pseudonym for his airbrush work and thought Xela(Alex backwards) fitted the bill perfectly.

I remembered something from a Vince Fago interview I read recently and thought it was interesting.

JA: What was Alex Schomburg like?

FAGO: He was a very quiet man. I'd give him a cover and he'd disappear. His detail was so amazing. He had insight that the rest of us didn't.

JA: Did he ever design his own covers?

FAGO: No. We designed all the covers in house. I thought up a lot of the adventure covers. Then I'd ask Mike Sekowsky to give me a rough. He was terrific. Syd Shores did some of the Captain America covers and he also did roughs for Alex Schomburg's covers.

JA: Did Schomburg get a higher page rate for his covers?

FAGO: Oh yeah. There was no comparison. And he was perfect on deadlines.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd ask here. What would you rather have, a mis-cut 6.0 (top image)

Or a 4.5 cut more squarely (bottom)

6.0 is about $60 more

Being mis-cut seems to be a thing for several issues of Exciting. (The one where she's riding the big eagle comes to mind.) I'm used to it. Go with the copy that has better cover color and paper quality.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd ask here. What would you rather have, a mis-cut 6.0 (top image)

Or a 4.5 cut more squarely (bottom)

6.0 is about $60 more

I'd lean towards the 6.0 from what I can see from the scans, but it's a close call.