• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

Well, let's break it down. You have sequential art in panels, but no text/dialogue. If all the pages are like this where you have almanac info on one side and a comicstrip (or cartoon strip if you're a stickler about the lack of text) so that the comics make up at least half the book then I would say yes it's as much of a "comic book" as some of the other Victorian Age "comic books." If, however, it's mostly almanac info with a couple of comic strips thrown in here and there then I would say no, since it would be essential the same as every newspaper with a comics section. But of course the OO vs. Supes thread has shown that there are as many definitions of "comic book" as there are collectors, so what the hell do I know? confused-smiley-013.gif

Either way it's a very cool pre-platinum comic kinda thingy you have there. thumbsup2.gif

These are terrific!

KatzenjammerKids1902.jpg

Probably many American readers don't know that Katzenjammer means "hangover". Given this cover and the typical "child abuse" ending of so many Katzenjammer Kids strips, it makes you wonder why they weren't the Arschschmerzen Kids.

KatzenjammerKids1903.jpg

THE KATZENJAMMER KIDS 1902 and 1903 comic books

Unusually happy Katzenjammer Kids cover!

Who's the smilin' sailor? I thought that I knew something about the strip, but I don't recognize him.

Jack

When are you going to publish your work?

I am actually back in the early-mid 20th century doing more research - the OO vs Supes thread is discussing stuff i researched some years ago, satisfied myself with the results, moved on, and have been having to go back into my research past to defend "old" research

I think within a couple more years i will be done with all this research - i have a ton of stuff now