• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

BusterBrownAtHome.jpg

BUSTER BROWN AT HOME 1913

Hey Bob, either Buster Brown is a midget, or that is one big turkey!

That's Baby Huey -- the oversized, yellow doofus finally got what was coming to him.

Jack

[or his cousin Big Bird?]

This is a copy of Comic Monthly by Embee from 1922.(click on the attachment above ) Only 12 issues were printed, and all are rare. Comic Monthly was the 1st 10 cent monthly comic book

Very cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now there's a book I could truly call the first comic book, without using any qualifiers or asterisks and without losing any sleep over it. thumbsup2.gif

I'd love to acquire one of those issues someday.

Why would that be a comic book and nothing else posted here is?

because it is a folded-over saddle-stitched stapled pamphlet?

you did not qualify your term

i bring this up because the Rube Goldberg FOOLISH QUESTIONS Comic Monthly is a series of un-inter-related single panel cartoons, four to a page, no continuity betweenst the panels

- kind of like picking on Dennis the Menace which was at least recurring characters

oh, must be the word balloons, but also used in 99% of everything i posted so far,

because it is a folded-over saddle-stitched stapled pamphlet?

Bingo!

I don't really have a problem calling the rest of them comic books either, it's just that in the back of my mind

there's this little voice that keeps saying "well, technically it's more like a graphic novel." The voice sounds

a lot like Comic Guy from the Simpsons.

But I'm tired of arguing over nomenclature. I'll concede - they're all comic books at least in a broader

sense of the term (and in a literal sense as they are actually books unlike the comic magazines

the term usual refers to today). You win. flowerred.gif

Edited by Theagenes

James Montgomery Flagg in 1904, long before Uncle Sam.

1368574-tomfoolery.jpg

Bob, I sent you info on this last year for possible inclusion in the guide. Do you want me to resend it or did it just not make the cut?

1368574-tomfoolery.jpg.6f736664061f2a8f161d2fbb913a8ad7.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

James Montgomery Flagg in 1904, long before Uncle Sam.

1368574-tomfoolery.jpg

Bob, I sent you info on this last year for possible inclusion in the guide. Do you want me to resend it or did it just not make the cut?

I missed it i think - never on purpose. Sometimes when i am out of town at some comic show for a week, emails pile up and i can miss stuff in the download dump

- please resend the data to Robert@BLBcomics.com

OscarShanghaiCover.jpg

Publisher & Fitzgerald comic book from the 1870s,

a reprint of the 1852 original issued by Garrett,

an original American home grown comic strip creation by ALC

- we do not yet know his real name, probably never will

I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but doesn't the cover say Avery at lower right?

Is it Avery 52? Avery SC?

JPS

SPECIAL MUSEUM PIECES....the 3 books in the attachment (above - just click) will ultimatley be displayed in The Victorian Age Comic Book Museum (info in my website found below- click the "musuem info" tab ).

These are 3 of the rarest and most historically important comic books of the entire Platinum/Pre-Golden Age era. Detective Dan Secret Operative no 48, Detective Ace King, and Bob Scully the Two Fisted Hick Detective. All 3 are from Humor Publishing Corp., and were printed in 1933.

These were the 1st newsstand comic books with original art, the 1st of a single theme, and the direct inspiration for the conversion of Superman from a fanzine evil character into a comic book superhero.

All 3 of these books virtually never come up for sale in any venue...they don't get much tougher to find than this.

1369515-humor.jpg.a1a87a5d5807030f325c6d26ddea4ae9.jpg

Edited by showcase-4

SPECIAL MUSEUM PIECES....the 3 books in the attachment (above - just click) will ultimatley be displayed in The Victorian Age Comic Book Museum (info in my website found below- click the "musuem info" tab ).

These are 3 of the rarest and most historically important comic books of the entire Platinum/Pre-Golden Age era. Detective Dan Secret Operative no 48, Detective Ace King, and Bob Scully the Two Fisted Hick Detective. All 3 are from Humor Publishing Corp., and were printed in 1933.

These were the 1st newwstand comic books with original art, the 1st of a single theme, and the direct inspiration for the conversion of Superman from a fanzine evil character into a comic book superhero.

All 3 of these books virtually never come up for sale in any venue...they don't get much tougher to find than this.

hail.gif

You know this is the first time I've seen these three books together and I didn't realize that Detective Dan was slightly larger than the other two. That would seem to suggest that DD was printed first, then the size was reduced for the following two, perhaps to cut costs. I've wondered about the order of publication of these Humor books. If DD came first and Ace King has the ad for Happy Mulligan, which may or may not have ever been printed, then it would seem that a tenative relative chronology for them would be:

1. Detective Dan

2. Bob Scully

3. Ace King

4. Happy Mulligan (?)