• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

LittleOrphanAnnie04.jpg

LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE #1 2 3 4 6 came out at Christmas time 1926 1927 1928 1929 1931from Cupples & Leon, had 96 pages each and dust wrappers. Will dig out my 5 7 8 9 to scan

I really like the logos on these books. Does anyone know whether Gray designed them himself? They don't have much in common with his text lettering.

Jack

Hi jack

i dunno, but the best Little Orohan Annie expert i know is Richard Olson, my co-author of the Overstreet history articles - i'll give him a call soon and ask him - we talk all the time any way.

This Cupples & Leon series of LOA, Smitty, and a few singles of Harold Teen, etc is a nice format i like better than many of the 10x10 series.

I made a post used the word D E M O C R A T which is an issue in Overstreet and indeed a title to a Platinum comic but when I hit the continue button the word is replaced by (embarrassing lack of self control) what is going on?

The word D E M O C R A T is filtered by the boards to avoid name calling on the boards in much the same way that other four letter words such as [embarrassing lack of self control] [embarrassing lack of self control] [embarrassing lack of self control] are filtered.

I made a post used the word D E M O C R A T which is an issue in Overstreet and indeed a title to a Platinum comic but when I hit the continue button the word is replaced by (embarrassing lack of self control) what is going on?

I have one, will have to dig it out to make scans, so it will not be real soon, but i will try to get to it when i can. Here is the scan used in Overstreet on page 366 up at the the top in the price index, larger size so you can read the cover. I also had to change my wording as i spell out DE..... in my Jpeg URL description

Evolution-Demo.jpg

Edited by blbcomics

HAH! "Summa [embarrassing lack of self control] laude" was funny enough, but dem-you-know-what is filtered out as a cuss word?? How about [embarrassing lack of self control] (Repub-you-know-what)? But Nixon makes it through!

I have one, will have to dig it out to make scans, so it will not be real soon, but i will try to get to it when i can. Here is the scan used in Overstreet on page 366 up at the the top in the price index, larger size so you can read the cover. I also had to change my wording as i spell out DE..... in my Jpeg URL description

Evolution-Demo.jpg

Interesting-looking book! It seems to cover some of the same ground as Thomas Nast. Is that Boss Tweed strummin' his harp? Maybe evolution and Darwinian should be filtered out too -- hot button issues!

Jack

Is this the one I sold you a few years ago, Bob?

Maybe mine was a year older. I remember it as even longer and narrower -- a real SOB to pack!

Jack

MuttJeffCL1920oblong.jpg

MUTT & JEFF Cupples & Leon 1921 large size oblong - this was the last year for this format and there were a few others this size that year - after 1921, this format became a dinosaur

Is this the one I sold you a few years ago, Bob?

Maybe mine was a year older. I remember it as even longer and narrower -- a real SOB to pack!

Jack

Hi Jack

nope, that one was sold to some one else quite some time ago - right now i have 3 copies of this Bud Fisher gem - i buy & sell all kinds of Plat books

my personal copy is a beaut condition specimen