• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revel in History - Post your Platinums Here!!!!
3 3

323 posts in this topic

i can keep this up as i have a lot more and had made scans a while back on a lot of my copies,
Please...I'd like to see some interiors as well.

cracking open some of these older books open to take interior scans can be dangerous to the health of the book - but i will try to do some of that on lower grade copies i have

most of these scans i made up a year or two back,when i had more time, which is why i can post so many these days - i am not sitting here making scans right now, am running a comics sales list i mailed out last week

bob

Ok, really impress me--show me #s 25 and 26. I don't think they exist.

I wish i could -

I am just about ready to delete 25 26 from Overstreet as not existing

Great, then I only need 1 issue to complete the set.

Ok, really impress me--show me #s 25 and 26. I don't think they exist.

I wish i could -

I am just about ready to delete 25 26 from Overstreet as not existing

I already did that with Barney Google 5 and 6, also listed for a long time in Overstreet before i began revamping the section and fixing all the errors

I have 100s more of these scans made up - there was a HUGE comic book industry in America long before the advent of Superman

Bob, any theory as to why they skipped #25 and #26?

Bob, any theory as to why they skipped #25 and #26?

Well, Mark, there was a huge amount of mistakes in the Plat stuff which lived in the Overstreet PG for years,sometimes decades.

Go back to the two Katzenjammer Kids 1902 1903 I posted a couple pages back. Once upon a time until maybe 6 years ago, the Overstreet had the 1903 as merely a reprint of the 1902.

same on the happy Hooilgan 1902 and 1903

One could come to that seemingly conclusive conclusion based on the concept the first page, what we Plat collectors call the Title Page, was identical.

If one did not place them side by side, one would assume the comic strip pages were the same as well

I bought these to fix the listings, and then began a process of trying to buy one of each as well as look at copies in other collector's houses who shared the same vision of an accurate price index for these early comic books which most collectors dis so dramatically at times as not being "real" comic books

And then i discovered how wide ranging the 1800s comic book business was, and got really side tracked for a while

but to get back to your query, Bob Overstreet for the longest time did not care about anything prior to Funnies On Parade slash Famous Funnies.

The Plat data was collected rather haphazardly - and no double checking was done

These days to get a listing into his Guide, you must submit a cover, and indica page to prove what it is - a major step forward

I do not know anyone who has BUF 25 and 26

For that matter, i do not remember ever seeing a Popeye #2 David McKay 1935 either - yet it is listed in the Guide also

Maybe some of these errors were brought in back when he peppered the Guide with non-existent books when other price guides were stealing his data mix - helped a lot in court

then after a while, Bob forgot what the salted errors were

VaudevillesOtherThings1900.jpg

VAUDEVILLES AND OTHER THINGS By Carl "Bunny' Schultz,

who invented Foxy Grandpa later in the year of 1900, when this

was published - reprinting newspaper comic strips with no

recurring characters, which, according to some (minority)

view points means this does not contain "real" comic strips,

which i categorically reject that concept - this is a comic book

PopeyeCartoonBook2095.jpg

Says "Cartoon Book", but don't let that description fool you.

This is a Popeye comic book from 1934 reprinting strips in color

It is unique in that one read the panels left to right across both

double page spreads at a time. If read one page at a time,

the story makes no sense. A great Segar comic book!

MrTweeDeedleCOLOR.jpg

MR TWEE DEEDLE'S FURTHER ADVENTURES by Johnny Gruelle, very rare, 1917,

pre Raggedy Ann newspaper comic strip reprint book

by this personal favorite of mine. This newspaper strip ran 1911-1918

ending when Raggedy Ann and Andy began to take off

The 1913 #1 is even scarcer