• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book history

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys :hi:

I am interested in reading about the history of comic books. I've really only been collecting for a few years now and haven't gotten into anything other than moderns, but would really be interested in reading some really good books on the history of comics. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Highly recommend "The Steranko History of Comics Vol 1 & 2" and "All in Color for a Dime" by Richard Lupoff and Don Thompson.

Also for a fun enjoyable read "The Mad World of William M. Gaines" by Frank Jacobs provides a wealth of historical insight. (worship)

Read George Olshevsky's article on Timelys in the 10th Overstreet Price Guide (1980). There are also tons of CBMs (Comic Book Marketplace) back issues from the 80s-90s that have a lot of articles about comics, genres, pedigrees, rarity/demand, artists, etc.

I am interested in reading about the history of comic books. I've really only been collecting for a few years now and haven't gotten into anything other than moderns, but would really be interested in reading some really good books on the history of comics. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

The Gerber Photo-Journal Guides have hooked a lot of people on GA books. Even if you don't end up collecting GA, I think you'll be fascinated by many of the covers. You can pick up used copies pretty inexpensively.

Those big hardcovers (opened, with the dustcovers resting on the books) are Marvel-only, but can be had on Amazon for about $5 each (the book at top right was already mentioned here, and the author Daniels also wrote "Comix" with only 10 pages about Marvel aside from some GA reprints of Timely).

That soft-cover bottom left "The Great Comic Book Heroes" was the source for Kill Bill's ending scene, during which Bill philosophizes about Superman. The book has some GA reprints in color; so does Comix in mostly B&W but a few in color).

The "Fireside" paperbacks at bottom right are simply Stan Lee's 10-minute history of a marvel main character/team followed by two classic reprints ("Origins"). Rinse, repeat for the characters on the cover. Then another 5 characters or so were featured in the sequel (Son of Origins). And then again with Heroines, and then Villains (same thing sometimes). Think there are a few others. Sorta history with fewer words and more pictures.

Also liked the books mentioned by Tawky Tawny, particularly I found the the Sterankos very good reads.

oQXhJJw.jpg

The Gerber Photo-Journal Guides have hooked a lot of people on GA books. Even if you don't end up collecting GA, I think you'll be fascinated by many of the covers. You can pick up used copies pretty inexpensively.

Or you can use the GCD for free to see all the same books:

www.comics.org

Granted, it helps if you know what you're looking for, but the Search function can narrow things down nicely.

Highly recommend "The Steranko History of Comics Vol 1 & 2" and "All in Color for a Dime" by Richard Lupoff and Don Thompson.

Also for a fun enjoyable read "The Mad World of William M. Gaines" by Frank Jacobs provides a wealth of historical insight. (worship)

For anyone truly interested in comics history, these are a must read. I'm still waiting for the next volume :insane:

TwoMorrows Publishing has completed five volumes of the American Comic Book Chronicles covering the history of comics from the fifties through the eighties. These books are absolutely fantastic, but not readily available at your local bookstore.

If you order directly from the publisher, four of the volumes are half price through August 14, 2016.

I originally ordered my copies through my LCS or directly from publisher John Morrow at various conventions.

http://twomorrows.com/blog/tnt/history-unfolds-in-our-groundbreaking-american-comic-book-chronicles-series/

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=95_94

www.comics.org

Granted, it helps if you know what you're looking for, but the Search function can narrow things down nicely.

The beauty of the Gerber guides for most of us was that we stumbled on GA books that we didn't know existed. Someone like the OP won't really know what to search for on GCD.

www.comics.org

The beauty of the Gerber guides for most of us was that we stumbled on GA books that we didn't know existed. Someone like the OP won't really know what to search for on GCD.

The beauty of the GCD is that you don't have to know what to search for. You can just plug in the year 1938 and see every comic published in 1938. You can plug in a range like 1950 thru 1955 and see all the comics published then. Plus there are way more covers, obviously...

Many good books mentioned so far, but one of the absolute greatest books about comics is Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones. I consider it indispensable if you are interested in the history of the medium.

Another excellent book is The Ten Cent Plague by David Hadju. I'd start with those two and then branch off into some of the more specialized stuff.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. Somewhat gossipy but IMHO interesting for it in a way some other favorites (like 10-Cent Plague which can come off as somewhat class assignment in presentation).

I also like Image Comics: The Road to Independence. Speaking of Image, I think it was Sequart who came out with a Image documentary that you can buy online that I found entertaining.

... Alter Ego also super

+1 Concur on Alter Ego Magazine, very focused and informative in-depth articles which are an enjoyable cover to cover read.

TwoMorrows Publishing has completed five volumes of the American Comic Book Chronicles covering the history of comics from the fifties through the eighties. These books are absolutely fantastic, but not readily available at your local bookstore.

+1 TwoMorrows Publishing and John Morrow provide a mavin contribution to the comic book appreciation fan base. (thumbs u

... Alter Ego also super

+1 Concur on Alter Ego Magazine, very focused and informative in-depth articles which are an enjoyable cover to cover read.

+1 TwoMorrows Publishing and John Morrow provide a mavin contribution to the comic book appreciation fan base. (thumbs u

I would only recommend Alter Ego if you want to know Golden Age history. I think Comic Book Marketplace is a more well-rounded magazine for Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Back Issue magazine from Tomorrow's is a good mag too.

Steranko's history was where I started -- bought them in 1970s (drawn to them because of the cover art honestly). I need to go back and read them again soon with a greater appreciation of the older books of the golden age that was lacking the first time around.

Might take another look at Lee's Fireside books too-- also bought back then. Limited but a great introduction to the roots of the long time Marvel super heroes.