• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect auction starts tomorrow

276 posts in this topic

It turned out to be a Terrific evening :sumo:

27572552-9FE9-478A-83E0-08A930A88971_zpsunnylvfu.jpg

Did you score that one, then? Big congrats if so -- beauty, a classic book! :)

Yeah, I did. Thought the price was reasonable. There are three books I have wanted that felt fairly tough to obtain and this is one of them. We will see how it feels when I get it home.

Nice, my early bid got blown away, but I never expected it to last. I thought the #2 went pretty cheap actually, as my low ball bid was only topped by two increments.

So what did the Terrific 5 go for?

Ok! What in the world is going on?? :insane:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=673837

what in Gods name is driving prices of these books lately?? I mean its only a 7.5 and not a well centered one at that. its really not jealously 'cause I wouldn't sell my high grade copy even for that number, by dammit boy

I agree that the price is way to high.

The only thing I can say is that almost all of the books that we have seen sell for extremely high prices are not for sale all that often. Perhaps it is just some buyers with deep pockets making sure they acquire a copy of these not easily located books??

A little under 5K ($4800 iirc)

I have an impossible time searching their web site for sold items unless I had a bid in. Is there a method? Thanks for the price result.

I had an initial track bid on it too. :grin:

what in Gods name is driving prices of these books lately?? I mean its only a 7.5 and not a well centered one at that. its really not jealously 'cause I wouldn't sell my high grade copy even for that number, by dammit boy

The only thing I can say is that almost all of the books that we have seen sell for extremely high prices are not for sale all that often. Perhaps it is just some buyers with deep pockets making sure they acquire a copy of these not easily located books??

It may be high when compared to it's historical pricing for those who have been around for some time but could it be perhaps people are now recognizing that there's a higher value to the HTF higher graded books - especially one like the WTOF 2? They don't exactly show up all too often....

At least More Fun 55 is a first appearance... We have seen a lot of dogs finally see their day in the sun , nearly all first appearances that few cared for for a long time.

Could be Dr Fate will appear in Flash or Legends TV shows this fall.

It may be high when compared to it's historical pricing for those who have been around for some time but could it be perhaps people are now recognizing that there's a higher value to the HTF higher graded books - especially one like the WTOF 2? They don't exactly show up all too often....

I would correct that and say that there's a higher value to all of the HTF books, both for higher graded books and also for the lower graded raw books. :gossip:

Just take a look at some of the very recent prices achieved on eBay for a raw VG+ copy of WonderWorld 11 at $2,725; a raw VG Wonderworld 12 at $2,625; a raw Fair Amazing Mystery Funnies at $2,000; along with a raw Poor Action 13 with no back cover for over $14K in a low profile Heritage Sunday auction. :o

Getting closer to the high grade range, but forgot about the raw VFish copy of Mystery Men 30 that sold with no problems at one of the summer cons for something like $7,500. :blush:

This entire hobby has "jumped the shark".

$124,222 for More Fun # 55 lol

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=527914

I cannot fathom future generations of collectors giving one damn iota for this book

Where is the future demand going to come from ???

I believe one of the main factors here is that this is the Edgar Church copy and as of late, it would appear that the Church pedigree is starting to regain some of its former prestige that it used to have prior to CGC, and as a result, we are seeing a big resurgence in prices for some of the key Church books. hm

At least More Fun 55 is a first appearance... We have seen a lot of dogs finally see their day in the sun , nearly all first appearances that few cared for for a long time.

As I have said before, almost makes me wonder if we are approaching the end of another bull run in comics for now. The last bull run ended in the mid 90's with the big dollars cycling through from the SA to the GA keys and then finally into the GA near keys, classic covers and 2nd & 3rd tier publishers.

This last step seems to be about where we are right now. hm

This entire hobby has "jumped the shark".

$124,222 for More Fun # 55 lol

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=527914

I cannot fathom future generations of collectors giving one damn iota for this book

Where is the future demand going to come from ???

I believe one of the main factors here is that this is the Edgar Church copy and as of late, it would appear that the Church pedigree is starting to regain some of its former prestige that it used to have prior to CGC, and as a result, we are seeing a big resurgence in prices for some of the key Church books. hm

While way beyond my means, I find this sale less mind-boggling than sales of midgrade MF #73s for more than half as much. Sure, both Aquaman and Green Arrow are solid B listers, and Dr. Fate is more of a D lister, but none appear on the cover of their first issues, and I don't know what the last sale of the Church #73 was, but extrapolating from the midgrade prices realized last year, a comparable price would have been over 500K, which makes a buck and quarter seem more reasonable for a #55.

Not that I actually find any of it "reasonable", but then the low four figures I've paid for some books may seem unreasonable to someone else.

I would correct that and say that there's a higher value to all of the HTF books, both for higher graded books and also for the lower graded raw books. :gossip:

Just take a look at some of the very recent prices achieved on eBay for a raw VG+ copy of WonderWorld 11 at $2,725; a raw VG Wonderworld 12 at $2,625; a raw Fair Amazing Mystery Funnies at $2,000; along with a raw Poor Action 13 with no back cover for over $14K in a low profile Heritage Sunday auction. :o

Getting closer to the high grade range, but forgot about the raw VFish copy of Mystery Men 30 that sold with no problems at one of the summer cons for something like $7,500. :blush:

Yes. Thank you.

Anyone know the hammer of the silver streak 6? Thanks

$5,200 Link

Well, if we stop focusing on the big jackpot winners, it looks like the entire hobby just may not have jumped the shark yet. :gossip:

Although both of these 2 long time classic cover books did go for relatively strong prices, they were both not out of this world, considering how crazy the prices were on some relatively lesser key books. hm

Congrats to both winners on their astute and timely pickups. (thumbs u

$5,200 Link

Strong price I thought given the eye appeal

+1

I would definitely agree with this comment as the Terrific 5 looks much more than only a 0.5 grade increment higher than the SS 6.

Hhmmmm.........looks like the SS 6 was graded after the CGC case holder fiasco, while the Terrific 5 was graded before.

Wonder if there's any truth to the rumours that CGC might be softening up to win back some of their customers, right at the same time that the other company is tightening up due to negative comments about their apparent overgrading? hm

Maybe we need to have Jaydog come in here to clear up some of the apparent grading discrepancies, since he seems to have a strong and clearly unbiased handle on this whole grading thing. lol

I have an impossible time searching their web site for sold items unless I had a bid in. Is there a method? Thanks for the price result.

Yes, definitely one of the big benefits for collectors with respect to HA is access to their auction archives. :applause:

I wish both CC and CL would have some form of archives for collectors to use. Well, at least with CC, you seem to be able to Google up some of their past auction results if you can remember the book and the grade. Have not had the same luck with CL, although I have not tried to the same extent, since I cannot remember the details. :(

$5,200 Link

Strong price I thought given the eye appeal

+1

I would definitely agree with this comment as the Terrific 5 looks much more than only a 0.5 grade increment higher than the SS 6.

Hhmmmm.........looks like the SS 6 was graded after the CGC case holder fiasco, while the Terrific 5 was graded before.

Wonder if there's any truth to the rumours that CGC might be softening up to win back some of their customers, right at the same time that the other company is tightening up due to negative comments about their apparent overgrading? hm

Maybe we need to have Jaydog come in here to clear up some of the apparent grading discrepancies, since he seems to have a strong and clearly unbiased handle on this whole grading thing. lol

Funny u should say that. I jumped shipped after their little case problems and went to the 2nd best and they were grading tighter than a cats sphincter