• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect auction starts tomorrow

276 posts in this topic

Spitfire :o:o:o:o

Can't say I ever expected that one to go for over 34 times guide. ^^

I was thinking $2,500 would do it. When these guys started going at it, I figured no way it closes above $10K.

Not to dis the buyer at all, but I just don't see that particular book worth that particular amount of $, vs. other things that could be bought at that level. Just not that great a cover. Still, a 9.8 and a Church copy are two points in favor. :)

Some people seem to love the cover, something for everyone. A non-pedigree 9.2 sold nine years ago for $836, so factoring for the rise in value of most WW2 cover GA books and the 9.8 Church designation, I guess north of 5K was going to be the floor for this book, and once bidders are playing in that sandbox, tripling the low estimate isn't entirely unusual.

All I know is I am hoping for a Terrific evening. :wishluck:

I don't think anyone mentioned the Startling 53, 9.4 double cover going for over 8k!! Wow. Was thinking that was a $4500-$5500 book.

Here is a question hm ; If none of us here are paying these new record prices on these non-key (or at least very minor key) GA books then who is? An investor class group that is not really that educated in comic price fluctuations? New hobbyists with deep pockets? I'm not really talking about a Planet 29 going for a few hundred higher than expected, but rather the Spitfire and the Startling and some of these other extreme cases.

Good question Rick. I *thought* I had a good handle on GGA. But in the last few auctions, my bids haven't been competitive. What's moving the prices? Perhaps the Mile High 49 breaking the 100k barrier brought more attention to this niche ? (shrug)

Rick and Vision raise some good points about these lesser-key GA books. Those prices for Planets 29 and 33 were awfully high and seem like outliers. Good for the sellers for sure! On the other hand, I was winning bidder on Planets 42 and 50, which sold at respectable OSPG-level prices. Good for me! Clearly there's a lot of noise in this marketplace. I wonder if all of the excitement on these Boards is adding to the thrill of the chase and the shrinkage of the pocketbook...

I don't think anyone mentioned the Startling 53, 9.4 double cover going for over 8k!! Wow. Was thinking that was a $4500-$5500 book.

Here is a question hm ; If none of us here are paying these new record prices on these non-key (or at least very minor key) GA books then who is? An investor class group that is not really that educated in comic price fluctuations? New hobbyists with deep pockets? I'm not really talking about a Planet 29 going for a few hundred higher than expected, but rather the Spitfire and the Startling and some of these other extreme cases.

Good question Rick. I *thought* I had a good handle on GGA. But in the last few auctions, my bids haven't been competitive. What's moving the prices? Perhaps the Mile High 49 breaking the 100k barrier brought more attention to this niche ? (shrug)

Rick and Vision raise some good points about these lesser-key GA books. Those prices for Planets 29 and 33 were awfully high and seem like outliers. Good for the sellers for sure! On the other hand, I was winning bidder on Planets 42 and 50, which sold at respectable OSPG-level prices. Good for me! Clearly there's a lot of noise in this marketplace. I wonder if all of the excitement on these Boards is adding to the thrill of the chase and the shrinkage of the pocketbook...

Planet 29 is harder to locate in grades above 6.0 so that likely adds to the slightly higher price tag for the book. The 33 is also an in demand Planet and in a respectable grade of 6.0, my opinion is the price was about right. Planet 42 and 50 are more commonly found so should have sold at market price and did so.

As to the Spitfire: my opinion is it is the highest graded copy of a highly desirable pedigree ( Church book ). No different then the mentioned Church Startling 49 but a lesser caliber book.

Spitfire :o:o:o:o

Can't say I ever expected that one to go for over 34 times guide. ^^

I was thinking $2,500 would do it. When these guys started going at it, I figured no way it closes above $10K.

Not to dis the buyer at all, but I just don't see that particular book worth that particular amount of $, vs. other things that could be bought at that level. Just not that great a cover. Still, a 9.8 and a Church copy are two points in favor. :)

Some people seem to love the cover, something for everyone. A non-pedigree 9.2 sold nine years ago for $836, so factoring for the rise in value of most WW2 cover GA books and the 9.8 Church designation, I guess north of 5K was going to be the floor for this book, and once bidders are playing in that sandbox, tripling the low estimate isn't entirely unusual.

All I know is I am hoping for a Terrific evening. :wishluck:

rjpb -- sure enough, to each their own, and something for everyone! :)

It turned out to be a Terrific evening :sumo:

27572552-9FE9-478A-83E0-08A930A88971_zpsunnylvfu.jpg

Did you score that one, then? Big congrats if so -- beauty, a classic book! :)

Yeah, I did. Thought the price was reasonable. There are three books I have wanted that felt fairly tough to obtain and this is one of them. We will see how it feels when I get it home.

Yeah, I did. Thought the price was reasonable. There are three books I have wanted that felt fairly tough to obtain and this is one of them. We will see how it feels when I get it home.

Hope you'll like it in hand -- congrats!

congrats! That book is a standout Schomburg. Can't take my eyes off it.

A bargain in comparison to Suspense 3.

A bargain in comparison to Suspense 3.

Congrats on this pick up! A great book :)

Thanks for all the congrats everyone! Suspense 3, Fantastic 3 and this one are the three real tough ones for me. Started with the easiest of the three. We will see if this is a keeper or not a few months from now.

For me, it's the strangest thing how some books I always wanted I don't mind parting with not long after I get them and other books I never thought twice about, once I get them, are not going anywhere. I hope this ends up being the latter.

The site was sputtering off and on for me beginning in the afternoon.

Interesting to see whether they have a do over for books at the end of the alphabet. CLink did something Iike that a couple of years ago, I think it was.