• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect auction starts tomorrow

276 posts in this topic

If ever there was a case that CC's system is better than CLink's for consignors, this is it. No way on earth these guys would have sniped in bids at this level.
Shhhhh! Don't give C'Link any ideas. Gawd, let's at least keep one sniperLICIOUS auction going among the Big 3. I got some cool deals that way..... :gossip:

Spitfire :o:o:o:o

Can't say I ever expected that one to go for over 34 times guide. ^^

I was thinking $2,500 would do it. When these guys started going at it, I figured no way it closes above $10K.

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

:ohnoez:

I was thinking $2,500 would do it. When these guys started going at it, I figured no way it closes above $10K.

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

I told you great cover and the price proves it,glad to just have one!

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

Tough book to find, GGA cover, WW II cover, 9.8, White pages, and Church copy. Still, that was a crazy price.

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

Tough book to find, GGA cover, WW II cover, 9.8, White pages, and Church copy. Still, that was a crazy price.

Love to see it right back up in a near future auction.

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

I think the owner had about $500 into it. I was offered it a while back at a reasonable price, guess I should have bought it! lol

Anyone have the link saved?

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

I think the owner had about $500 into it. I was offered it a while back at a reasonable price, guess I should have bought it! lol

. http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=673827&title=SPITFIRECOMICS

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

Here it is link

Not nearly enough. There are lots of CGC 6.5-9.2 books out there that never would have gotten the grade from reliable dealers in the pre-CGC era.

Well, the main reason for that would be that CGC is in the business of grading books for both buyers and sellers. If CGC grades too tight they don't get submissions. If they grade too loose people don't buy the books.

Love it or hate it, that's the way it needs to be for a collectibles certification business to stay in business.

Maybe my memory is fading, but I don't recall books with major dust shadows getting VF/NM grades back in the 90s.

I guess that depends on what you meany by major dust shadows.

Conversely there are plenty of midgrade books that look fantastic that get hammered for some technical flaw that might have been given less weight by a dealer considering eye-appeal, even today. An example being the MM #52 that just sold in the CC auction. It looks like a high grade book in the scan, and must have a major spine split or something that brings it down to a 4.5 for CGC, because it's hard to see why else a book that looks that nice would only be a VG+

There is no magic grading system handed down from the heavens. Any grading system is just an evolution over time and the 'most correct' system is the system that becomes most accepted.

I can understand not liking change but nothing stays stagnant.

Well, I'm tapped out on the Planet 29- $1060 was not enough to get it. :tonofbricks:

Guess I will just have to keep waiting. :taptaptap:

I am out on that book as well. Just to much for a 7.0 in my opinion. Sold for $1273

Another book I consigned. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the prices my books have fetched in this auction.

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

Here it is link

Thanks guys. And WOW what a price.

Whaaaat???? $15,200!!!!

Love to see it right back up in a near future auction.

Where it sells for 3K.

Well, I'm tapped out on the Planet 29- $1060 was not enough to get it. :tonofbricks:

Guess I will just have to keep waiting. :taptaptap:

I am out on that book as well. Just to much for a 7.0 in my opinion. Sold for $1273

Another book I consigned. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the prices my books have fetched in this auction.

Congrats on the strong result! I would have loved to add your book to my collection.

Someone took a bath on the Harvey Comics Library 1 in 9.0. Sold as an 8.5 on HA in August last year for $3346. Went up to 9.0 and sold for only $2050 on CC!

I missed seeing the HCL, or I would have followed it. $2K seems kind of cheap for a 9.0 (or 8.5 even).

2k seems cheap to me too. It was the Magic Woo copy which is also pretty cool.

Probably not the best idea to leave such an obvious and easily traceable identifier on the book, giving all potential bidders the impression that the book must have been CPR in order to obtain the higher grade, even though it might possibly have been a straight resubmit.

Although CPR is rampant in the marketplace nowadays, it is still a dark dirty little secret with the best results still achieved in the hidden shadowy corners of our hobby where nobody can see it, as opposed to the bright blazing sunshine of the real world where everybody and their dog can see it. hm(tsk)

Result: Big time loss for the consignor in terms of the drop in value of the book, the cost for pressing, the additional cost for regrading, shipping, and auction fees. :tonofbricks:

Not nearly enough. There are lots of CGC 6.5-9.2 books out there that never would have gotten the grade from reliable dealers in the pre-CGC era.

Well, the main reason for that would be that CGC is in the business of grading books for both buyers and sellers. If CGC grades too tight they don't get submissions. If they grade too loose people don't buy the books.

Love it or hate it, that's the way it needs to be for a collectibles certification business to stay in business.

Maybe my memory is fading, but I don't recall books with major dust shadows getting VF/NM grades back in the 90s.

I guess that depends on what you mean by major dust shadows.

This level of dust shadow should not be found on a 9.0 book IMHO.

batman15_zpsfo8xlhsp.jpeg

Conversely there are plenty of midgrade books that look fantastic that get hammered for some technical flaw that might have been given less weight by a dealer considering eye-appeal, even today. An example being the MM #52 that just sold in the CC auction. It looks like a high grade book in the scan, and must have a major spine split or something that brings it down to a 4.5 for CGC, because it's hard to see why else a book that looks that nice would only be a VG+

There is no magic grading system handed down from the heavens. Any grading system is just an evolution over time and the 'most correct' system is the system that becomes most accepted.

I can understand not liking change but nothing stays stagnant.

Oh, I know that, my own grading has been, shall we say, refined, over the years, no doubt in part influenced by CGC. But not every choice they makes becomes widely accepted either, at least not by knowledgable collectors, which is why some books tend to sell for notably above or below what would be considered FMV. In some cases they've had to accommodate the community (the whole tape improves grade imbroglio), when resistance to grading practices is wide spread.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing CGC, for the most part I find their grades agreeable and consistent, but complaining about grades given to certain books is part of being a collector.

This level of dust shadow should not be found on a 9.0 book IMHO.

batman15_zpsfo8xlhsp.jpeg

OK, that is pretty bad (is that a Billy Wright?) but I'd say that it's the exception rather than the rule. They're usually not that bad.