• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Hulk #1 ebay tale.

27 posts in this topic

I've been after a few of my favorite Marvel Silver-Age keys, and after research and help from you guys, I decided I wanted a low budget but presentable Hulk #1. Not too easy I found out. Usually at least 4k... But I kept on the lookout for low grades and this one caught my eye.

I've had some good luck taking chances on ebay before (Cap #1 cover),

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8543947&fpart=1

So even though this auction had a bunch of red flags I figured as long as I didn't mind funds being tied up for a bit, it might be worth the gamble.

At least that's what all those chargebacks and forced refunds from my ebay "buyers" led me to believe...

I'll take you through what happened.

Besides the restored label, here's some things that I'm guessing rightfully turned away potential bidders.

Blurry pictures.

28783819821_c32667c330_b.jpg

This added close up wasn't much better. Especially for phone users.

28242474234_860b2cb3bb_b.jpg

The added front and back pic were a little better...

28575364460_c962625ebf_b.jpg

28242474134_240dba8c36_b.jpg

The biggest issue was in the description: :screwy:

28242474214_8915b5e643_b.jpg

Obviously don't ever send funds to a different paypal account than the one tied to the auction.... I sure as hell wasn't going to.

As for emailing me bigger pictures, ebay seems to block email exchanging in messaging, so I didn't even bother. (I know you can get all cryptic with your email to avoid their filtering, but I wasn't sure the seller would understand if I tried that.)

Other members had issues with the pics and the paypal thing, but still gave him a few offers.

28242474064_2e401f31c8_o.jpg

I set up a low maximum bid and found out later in the day that I won.

Oh boy. Let the "fun" begin.

First I sent him a message through ebay:

"Hi, I won the auction and saw you want me to pay a different account? Tell me what you'd like, and as long as it doesn't void my buyer protection I'll send it over.

Thanks!"

He replied:

"I was just trying to get it sent to my other paypal account, same name just gmail. I don't want to void any protection for you either or violate any rules. If changing the acct does that, then please just use the acct listed. Thanks for your willingness. You book is packaged and ready to go."

Ok, he seemed understanding. So I just sent it to the paypal account on the ebay invoice. I told him I had to. (which is true afaik)

"I had to send it to the one assigned to the auction. Please let me know the tracking # when it's sent so I can track it. Thanks"

His reply made me panic!!

"Don't see a payment or even 1 pending in either Paypal acct. Plan on using USPS and getting ins, with doesn't include tracking."

No payment??? The funds went through as far as paypal was concerned...

As far as I knew usps insurance DOES include tracking... unless maybe you get some for like under $50? Any why wouldn't he want tracking to protect himself?

I thought this was the beginning of the end..

I messaged him what account I paid it through and sent email a "request contact information" on the guy.

He then messaged me back:

"That acct is no longer active. Sorry, I must've missed updating that part, since there was so much that had to be updated. Please resind payment and I will see what I can find out from ebay to get you the updated acct info. Please be patient and I will get back to you. Thanks"

Resend payment??? What? YEAH RIGHT!!

Wait maybe he meant RESCIND payment? I think I've heard that term before. >dictionary.com

Pheww. I was able to successfully cancel the payment, and after seeing his/her real contact info was in a different state than what was listed in the ebay auction I was sure I had escaped some fraud and I would have to keep searching for my Hulk 1.

I messaged stating I canceled and was sent this reply.

"I got it all worked out and your payment should go through now, without problem, using listing check out. I will get the book out tomorrow. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I appreciate it."

Some might've quit there, but I was getting attached to getting a Hulk 1!

I sent payment through ebay and the next day it was marked "SHIPPED" Estimated delivery Fri, Aug 12 with surprise... NO TRACKING INFO.....

/sigh

I guess I'm not out of this yet...

The auction ended Aug 1st, so I imagined the seller enjoying my $ for almost 2 weeks before I received... who knows what... in the mail.

I again asked about tracking and they replied:

"USPS. Insurance purchased, not delivery confirmation or any other tracking service. Expected arrival tues. You will have sign for it, should not be left in box or door step."

I didn't want to bother trying to explain that USPS usually comes with a tracking #.... This person obviously had something against them. They said expected arrival on Tues Aug 9th which was different than the ebay estimate. I was curious what would be in the package IF there was a package....

This morning (Aug 8th) I was surprised to see I had missed the postman in the early morning and took the slip down to the post office. After politely waiting for 10+ minutes fully expecting them to say the carrier still had it and to come back tomorrow (even though the slip said pick it up 8/8 after 9:00) (no am or pm stated) he came back with a package!!

I was thrilled to have a package, but saddened as I muttered to myself on the way to the car. "Why? Why would they package it in such a tiny little box!!...."

"Whatever is in here is surely cracked... Or worse"

"WTF... Fragile... pfffft"

28860709835_90e9b849de_c.jpg

28756309772_d45815c431_c.jpg

Well.......

Somehow....

28576594530_9302ceeeba_c.jpg

I'm very happy with my new book!

28242474444_96fbc7b65c_h.jpg

28242474414_7d13388789_b.jpg

There's still good out there people, don't give up!

28829978906_13201045bd_o.jpg

Positive feedback left.

Thanks for reading!

Wow, not how I expected that story to end! Congrats!

The seller was just flat out stupid for putting that bit in the description about needing to change the PayPal address, that likely scared away many bidders. I've gotten lucky before too with some fishy-looking eBay listings, so sometimes the gamble pays off like it did in this case!

Oh wow, that's awesome. Great book, great writeup!

I've occasionally taken an ebay gamble on a tough GA book and had it pay off... very exciting when that happens. Some sellers are just not very savvy about how they present themselves.

Bro, I was so close to winning that! What a great presenting 2.0, for a fraction of the price. Looking at collecting a little differently now, I'd go purple any day if it looked like this. A big Congrats, and I must say, you have some Kohanas for still sending the payment. The different state thing would have thrown me for a loop as well.

I did question the whole "different paypal address" description, but had faith since the guy had some other nice books.

Hulk Smashhhh!

That's great, congrats!

One thing you might want to think about in the future (as as Ann Landers always said "Unasked for advice is often unwanted,") is that if you are buying a big ticket book, are concerned about fraud and at the P.O. anyway, you might want to open it up in the presence of a postal employee on the off chance somebody shipped you a copy of something other than the book you purchased.

nice story- especially the happy ending.

Bizarre how the seller does not understand how tracking works. It is included in anything you ship using ebay shipping and why people don't use this is baffling to me. Not only could they have had the tracking auto loaded - but also purchased the extra insurance, requested for signature confirmation, and probably got a discount on the cost versus standing in line at the post office. Perhaps they lacked a postal scale or don't send many packages, Some of the stuff those of us are very aware of are not general knowledge when it comes to shipping.

RE: Mr Pontoon's comments....

From what I've read regarding having a postal employee witness you open a package, not sure how much good that will do in any ebay dispute as others have presented similar evidence and it was not considered in anything eBay did during resolving the issue. Then again, more information/evidence is better than simply someones word on the matter. It might be useful in showing chain of custody as long as it wasn't sent media mail.

Congrats!!! (worship) I'm glad it worked out for you. I have a Hulk # 1 myself , some color touch on spine and small piece of archival tape. It looks great also. Resto or not it's a Hulk #1 ,great book to have in your collection. Congrats again.