• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2016

164 posts in this topic

When I step up to a booth, I like to look through the boxes and see what the dealer has for stock. Many people these days seem to prefer to charge up to a table and ask “Do you have XYZ?!?” regardless of what is on display. I understand that approach if you’re focused on looking for a key (“Do you have Walking Dead #1?”) but less so if you’re looking for nondescript unspecific moderns. Some stand outs from this weekend:

Person picks up a package of polybags and asks “Is this a book?” “Yeah, the thinnest book ever written,” says the wiseapple dealer. (I’m surprised that guy made any sales at all.)

Person looks over the table and wall and says “I have a bunch of Sikver Age. Silver Age isn’t so in demand now, huh?” I tell him, no, the Silver Age is one of the backbones of collecting. It’s very popular. Some of the common books not so much, but the key, important books fetch lots of money. “Oh!” he says, “So the Silver Age is from the late ‘80s into the ‘90s, right?”

Dude strides up and says “Do you have any IDW comics?”

“Umm, are there any titles you’re looking for? IDW is a big company, they publish lots of different comics.”

Muttering “Uh, well, uh….” he sort of drifted away.

Almost forgot Jim Payette's wall books.

These days he only sets up at BCC. He usually brings slam-bang GA wall books, secret stash Big Boy Back Room books, and tables with several boxes of bargain books and regular show stock. This year he mostly brought DC for the regular stock.

BCCPayette2.jpg

BCCPayette.jpg

I didn’t buy as much as I hoped to this year, nothing was really jumping out at me. I wasn’t feeling motivated to go digging for gold at some of the shoddier tables, I’m close to finishing a lot of my SA runs so I’m getting pickier about price and condition, I didn’t see any new or recent collections and I bought a big book on the boards a few weeks ago, so there was no other big book I was targeting as I regroup. I past years I’ve come home with stuff that excited me, this year not so much. I did have a great time though.