• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2016

164 posts in this topic

As long as I’m posting boardies, here’s CKB. His hired help wisely chose to hide.

Unintended "orange Grimace" cosplay. Looks like I am gazing up at the big burger in the sky. Nice.

The hero of and funniest comics dealer in Baltimore; wall books of Mr. Marc Nathan, Cards, Comics, and Collectibles. Or was it Comics, Cards and Collectibles? Collectible Card and Comics?

BCCNathan4.jpg

BCCNathan6.jpg

OMG! I wish my mancave would have these kind of walls

Mr. Bernie Wrightson. I’ve never seen him be less than gracious, cheerful and friendly.

BCCBernie.jpg

To me Wrightson , and Frazetta are my inspirations as an artist. If only I could be as good as them. (worship)

The hero of and funniest comics dealer in Baltimore; wall books of Mr. Marc Nathan, Cards, Comics, and Collectibles. Or was it Comics, Cards and Collectibles? Collectible Card and Comics?

BCCNathan4.jpg

BCCNathan6.jpg

BCCNathn3.jpg

BCCNtahan2.jpg

BCCNathan.jpg

That's a beautiful wall.

COMMERCIAL - it will be better in Baltimore.

I really wanted to attend this year, but it never worked out for me. How were the crowds? What's normally the best day to attend?

I went Friday and the lineup moved pretty quickly to get in, the crowds weren't overwhelming and the booths looked very well presented.

I heard Saturday was a complete gong show and it was sweltering in there. Granted it was warm on Friday, but only on the autograph wall, since that had gotten sun all day.

Deadpool and Harley Quinn were the costumes de rigueur; this couple was hands down my favorite I saw over the whole weekend. I was doubly impressed because I assume they were very young. Of course, almost everybody seems very young to me now...

(Travis and Iris, for the non-film buffs.)

BCCTravis_Iris.jpg

Now THAT is cool.

Deadpool and Harley Quinn were the costumes de rigueur; this couple was hands down my favorite I saw over the whole weekend. I was doubly impressed because I assume they were very young. Of course, almost everybody seems very young to me now...

(Travis and Iris, for the non-film buffs.)

BCCTravis_Iris.jpg

(thumbs u

A few quick thoughts before the jpegs continue.

I don’t know what the door totals were for this year, but based on subjective data such as trying to walk the aisles and hearing comments about lines that wrapped around the building I’d say it was pretty packed mostly all weekend. Friday and Sunday were brutally hot and humid outside and decidedly stuffy inside, not a great atmosphere for cosplay.

Once again this year, condensation from the ductwork/AC/pipes above resulted in a regular stream of drips onto the floor and several dealer tables. When an inquiry was made regarding correcting the situation, Seaport management replied that there was nothing they could do, and to cover the table/items. Naturally, at any type of trade show where merchandise is being sold, covering it up is not conducive to generating sales.

I haven’t seen it mentioned on the Boards yet though it was reported on Bleeding Cool: our local promoters have sold the show to Fan Expo. Maybe it won’t be so bad, but I the overall feeling was that this isn’t good news. Personally, I liked the fact that the show has been locally founded, built and run and has been dealer and artist-friendly. A corporate run show is going to result in higher table costs for everyone and possibly ticket prices for attendees, as well as a change in atmosphere. I suppose I should be glad that Wizard didn’t buy it at least.

High table prices are a problem for everybody. As table costs rise (and they already have been) the smaller, local guys can’t afford to set up and quite often those are folks with interesting inventory. For people attending as a Pop Culture Event it may not matter but for those buying funnybooks it does.