• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT (9/8/17)
1 1

171 posts in this topic

Saw the film last night despite an annoying audience who can't shut up. I think this is the best film ever made from a Stephen King book. So much is going on in this film and the Easter eggs this film has in it is Fantastic. Too much to take in one viewing multiple viewings is necessary. This is a film that will get better with each viewing.

9/10

This films Thursday box office was the third largest opening for a domestic film this year in the US so we could be looking at over a 120 million opening weekend. I can say this the entire theater was cheering, screaming, and yelling at the screen. I have not seen a film get an audience this active in years

3 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I think this is the best film ever made from a Stephen King book.

Bold claim given the quality of Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Stand By Me, or Misery.  Although I loved the "It" novel and read it the first year it was released, I can't imagine I'll enjoy this more than "The Shining."

JagJQ.gif

23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Bold claim given the quality of Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Stand By Me, or Misery.  Although I loved the "It" novel and read it the first year it was released, I can't imagine I'll enjoy this more than "The Shining."

JagJQ.gif

I never really liked The Shining for some reason maybe it is because it is one of Kubrick's worst films.

2 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I never really liked The Shining for some reason maybe it is because it is one of Kubrick's worst films.

It's no Dr. Strangelove, but it's far better than "Eyes Wide Shut," a film I liked but less so than all of Kubrick's other films.  Jack Nicholson is absolutely spectacular in "The Shining," it's by far my favorite role of his career.  The film is just good but forgettable without him, but with him, it's awesome.  (worship)

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
11 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

No.

He's not THAT far off from a critical perspective...Kubrick had such a spectacular career that saying "The Shining" is one of his worst just means that it was only well above average instead of exceptionally above average.  If we used Rotten Tomatoes ratings as a guide, it does rate among the bottom of his films:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/stanley_kubrick

But at 87% it's still a killer flick.  I certainly wouldn't put it above most of his films.  No way it's better than Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, 2001, Clockwork Orange, etc.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

He's not THAT far off from a critical perspective...Kubrick had such a spectacular career that saying "The Shining" is one of his worst just means that it was only well above average instead of exceptionally above average.  If we used Rotten Tomatoes ratings as a guide, it does rate among the bottom of his films:

I certainly wouldn't put it above most of his films.  No way it's better than Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, 2001, Clockwork Orange, etc.

Yes,but you said it all with Eyes Wide Shut.Maybe it's the age I was when I first saw it(i'm forty,so I was pretty young,I think I was in grade three?) but it's always been one of the movies that impacted me the most.I certainly liked it more than 2001 until I was much older.

3 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Yes,but you said it all with Eyes Wide Shut.Maybe it's the age I was when I first saw it(i'm forty,so I was pretty young,I think I was in grade three?) but it's always been one of the movies that impacted me the most.I certainly liked it more than 2001 until I was much older.

Yea, 2001 is an acquired taste.  I thought it was boring as a teenager, but loved it in my late 20s.  I guess I was mentally comparing it to "Star Wars" and it just didn't stack up at the time.

Yea, 2001 is an acquired taste.  I thought it was boring as a teenager, but loved it in my late 20s.  I guess I was mentally comparing it to "Star Wars" and it just didn't stack up at the time.

Watching it as a young teen I was SO bored! lol ..and then,because I thought they were both movies I should watch,2010....oh boy,i'm surprised I ever went back after that very LONG day!

2001 is a fantastic film, but it's major flaw yet at the same time beauty of the film is the long drawn out space opera sequences that have little to do with the film, but is art. Flight attendant scene comes to mind.

17 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

But at 87% it's still a killer flick.  I certainly wouldn't put it above most of his films.  No way it's better than Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, 2001, Clockwork Orange, etc.

I love Kubrick and that is always why I have been so hard on the film. If Another director did the film I'd probably rate the film much higher only holding the casting of Shelly Duvall against the film

40 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It's no Dr. Strangelove, but it's far better than "Eyes Wide Shut," a film I liked but less so than all of Kubrick's other films.  Jack Nicholson is absolutely spectacular in "The Shining," it's by far my favorite role of his career.  The film is just good but forgettable without him, but with him, it's awesome.  (worship)

We can't hold Eyes Wide Shut against him he died during the editing phases and decisions were made he had no input in