• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT (9/8/17)
1 1

171 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

He's not THAT far off from a critical perspective...Kubrick had such a spectacular career that saying "The Shining" is one of his worst just means that it was only well above average instead of exceptionally above average.  If we used Rotten Tomatoes ratings as a guide, it does rate among the bottom of his films:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/stanley_kubrick

But at 87% it's still a killer flick.  I certainly wouldn't put it above most of his films.  No way it's better than Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, 2001, Clockwork Orange, etc.

i'll take it over full metal jacket; second half loses me a bit after the sublime boot camp act I.

Saw It today, and really enjoyed it. I don't read anything about movies and try to avoid online trailers so I went in fresh.  3:45 showing was 95% sold out and I ended up having to sit in the second row, on the right facing the screen. 

Guy next to me had a giant pretzel, a personal pizza, a bucket of popcorn and a giant soda. That must have set him back $30. Place sells 12 ounce draft beers for $9.50

Third movie I've used my Moviepass for. 

Edited by shadroch

Not a bad start considering 6 to 8 percent of the market place won't be seeing films because of Hurricanes. I do think Mendelson is missing one factor. That factor is the nostalgia factor. I would take my kids to the theater to see this film because I would want them to experience what I experienced as a kid. So I don't think the film will drop like a normal horror film.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/09/09/box-office-it-floats-to-record-crushing-51m-friday/#3270e4ea481a

If you built It, they will come. We finally got our mega smash hit for August, but it didn’t open until the first full weekend in September. All this fretting about the poor August box office and the downturn in summer grosses, and a $35 million, R-rated horror movie with no movie stars to speak of is going to probably top $100m this weekend. Make no mistake, It is a box office monster beyond even the most optimistic expectations

$51m Friday is the biggest R-rated opening day/single day of all time, ahead of Deadpool’s $46m opening Friday and The Matrix Reloaded’s $42m Thursday ($62m adjusted for inflation). So yeah, me thinks Hannibal’s $58 million opening weekend benchmark (the biggest for an R-rated horror movie) is going to fall right… about… now.

Now, does that mean that Andy Muschietti’s horror epic about seven outcasts who team up to destroy the supernatural menace that is preying on the local children is going to flirt with Deadpool numbers this weekend? Probably not. That film had a holiday weekend to help buff up the Sunday total,  and horror tends to be a little frontloaded on the opening weekend. I don't expect this gruesome horror movie about a scary clown that eays children to score big via kid-powered matinees.

But, at this juncture, it looks like we’re looking at a plausible worst-case scenario of around $96-$102 million for the weekend, if it plays like Paranormal Activity 3 (the previous R-rated opening day record holder at $26m) Paranormal Activity 2 ($20m Friday/$40m weekend) and Insidious Chapter 2 ($20m/$40m). If it hits $100m for the weekend, it will be the cheapest movie ever to do so, another record swiped from Deadpool.

3 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Nope everyone who I know who saw the film liked It. Not to mention the audience reaction while watching the film was like something I had not seen in years.

That is so great to hear. Once all those positive reviews started coming in - including from King himself - it felt like a hit was coming.

:applause:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

That is so great to hear. Once all those positive reviews started coming in - including from King himself - it felt like a hit was coming.

:applause:

I just got back from watching It a second time. Keep in mind outside bad video quality to where I could not tell what was going on because of projector issues I have never seen a film more than once in the theater with the exception of Keaton's Batman during initial run.

Stephen King was right so much is happening in this film that a second viewing is required to get the most out of It. I caught more hidden Easter Egg gems in the film including a cameo by Tim Curry. When I looked at the first third of the film a negatively first time around, I now think that part is great and essential. When I thought the film could have been scarier, nope it's plenty scary and shocking considering the age of the kids Pennywise is going after. Those scarier moments will be saved for the next film. Really the only negative part about this film was despite the New Kids reference and Airwolf reference, the clothing, the cars, and most of the surroundings say late 70's to early 80s.

I up my 9 score to a 9.5 out of 10. Stand by comments that this is the best movie ever made from a Stephen King property and only The Dead Zone directed by David Cronenberg comes close.

7 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I just got back from watching It a second time. Keep in mind outside bad video quality to where I could not tell what was going on because of projector issues I have never seen a film more than once in the theater with the exception of Keaton's Batman during initial run.

Stephen King was right so much is happening in this film that a second viewing is required to get the most out of It. I caught more hidden Easter Egg gems in the film including a cameo by Tim Curry. When I looked at the first third of the film a negatively first time around, I now think that part is great and essential. When I thought the film could have been scarier, nope it's plenty scary and shocking considering the age of the kids Pennywise is going after. Those scarier moments will be saved for the next film. Really the only negative part about this film was despite the New Kids reference and Airwolf reference, the clothing, the cars, and most of the surroundings say late 70's to early 80s.

I up my 9 score to a 9.5 out of 10. Stand by comments that this is the best movie ever made from a Stephen King property and only The Dead Zone directed by David Cronenberg comes close.

Tim Curry has a cameo? When? Are you referring to the Pennywise clown doll?