• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT (9/8/17)
1 1

171 posts in this topic

I've been rereading the novel this summer (haven't read it since I was a teen, and summer time is usually my "read Stephen King by the pool" time) in preparation for the new film, and so far I am really impressed, as the tone and imagery seems to match up perfectly with what is going on in my head. Despite the fact that they're going to tell the story chronologically, and are splitting it up into a "kids" and "adults" movies, it looks like they're hewing very closely to the source material (minus the pre-teen sewer gangbang, one would assume.)  Really can't wait for this!

And aside from the always awesome Tim Curry, the TV Movie really doesn't hold up. Yikes.

Four (scary) movies that traumatized me when I was growing up...

- The Exorcist (I stopped liking owls because of this movie)

- Hellraiser (razor blades...nope)

- Event Horizon (I can't watch the last 10 minutes of this movie)

- IT (that Georgie scene...I couldn't walk alone in the street for over a month)

As good as this movie might be it will never surpass the original Georgie scene for me.  I'm no longer a kid watching it so I can't relate to him anymore.  There won't be the "WTF just happened?" moment.  However, really looking forward to seeing this.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:46 AM, F For Fake said:

(minus the pre-teen sewer gangbang, one would assume.)  

It's things like this have bothered me about King's writing. I own several of his books, and It seems like there's always one part that Is awkward as hell.

IT Projected to Set September Box Office Opening Record

IT-2017-Pennywise-Bills-Skarsgard.jpg?au

Current box office projections for IT have the film setting a new record for the biggest domestic opening weekend ever in September. Director Andrés Muschietti’s big screen adaptation of Stephen King’s novel of the same name has already set a fresh online trailer views record, thanks to the original IT teaser trailer garnering more than 197 million views within its first day of release. General interest in the movie has seemingly remained high since then, thanks in no small part to Warner Bros. Pictures using events such as San Diego Comic-Con to further drum up interest in the horror film.

Variety is reporting that IT is currently tracking to open with $50 million or more during its opening weekend at the U.S. box office in September. The current domestic opening weekend record for that month is $48 million, as was set by the animated sequel Hotel Transylvania 2 in 2015. Sources closer to WB are being more conservative with their own estimates and are predicting that IT will open in the $40 million range instead, in part because of the film’s R-Rating. By comparison, Deadline is reporting that IT is tracking to open somewhere between $50-60 million.

"I Was Not Prepared." Stephen King Gives Verdict On IT Film

The author of the horror novel has watched the new Andrés Muschietti-directed movie, and he's got plenty to say about it.

Stephen King wasn't prepared for how good the IT remake is.

King admits he approached the project with enthusiasm and had "high hopes," but he was stunned by how frightening Muschietti's version is and how terrifying Bill Skarsgard's portrayal of Pennywise is.

The writer said: "I had hopes, but I was not prepared for how good it really was. It's something that's different and at the same time, it's something that audiences are gonna relate to. 

"They're gonna like the characters. To me, it's all about character. If you like the character, if you care, the scares generally work. I'm sure my fans will enjoy the movie. I think they're gonna really enjoy the movie. And I think some of them will go back two or three times and actually savour the thing."

:fear:

pp633DF.png

"I DID A BAD, BAD THING' smirks Scott Mendelson as he proceeds to cast the first negative critique on RT. Though then he got trashed on Twitter for pointing it out.

'It' Review: A Terrifyingly Disappointing Stephen King Adaptation

The film is almost certain to rock the box office this weekend, and even though (as the headline points out) I wasn’t crazy about the finished product, I’m damn-sure rooting for it. My job is a lot easier when the box office news is good, and even with the overall slower summer season, 2017 has been filled with good news box office stories like the triumphs of John Wick: Chapter 2, Get Out, Split, Wonder Woman and Baby Driver. Let’s hope we can add It to the pile.

The adult portions add a certain mournful foreboding, casting the entire story as a metaphor for falsely idealized childhood and the cruelty of age-related memory loss. Absent that hook and that content, It is essentially a journey through woods already traveled onscreen by the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Super 8 and Stranger Things. It is an exercise in nostalgia, no better than Walt Disney’s disappointing Beauty and the Beast from earlier this year. Of course, that film made $1.2 billion worldwide and is the biggest grosser of the year here and abroad. So maybe audiences will be happy with an It that barely floats, often coasts and never soars.