• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT (9/8/17)
1 1

171 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, reddwarf666222 said:

I love Kubrick and that is always why I have been so hard on the film. If Another director did the film I'd probably rate the film much higher only holding the casting of Shelly Duvall against the film

Watch the documentary "Room 237" if you haven't yet.

DSC00270.JPG.f515599abcaeb3f5f098edc7005dec08.JPG

It's a brilliant companion piece to a viewing of "The Shining."

It discusses possible themes Kubrick was trying to explore during filming. It might be a bunch of bull-rab, but it's entertaining.  (thumbsu 

Initial forecasts were in the $40M to $60M range. Now...

DEADLINE: Crazed Clown Cashes In & Wakes Up Box Office As Stephen King’s ‘It’ Smashes Records With Est. $123M+ Opening

Updated Saturday PM: With a strong hold from Friday to Saturday, Stephen King’s It is looking to pass $120M by the end of its three-day weekend, just as our tracking experts predicted earlier today. Current estimates have the Andy Muschietti-directed horror film floating around $123.5M right now, down only 8% from last night. Today pulled in roughly $46.5M after Friday night’s $51M (which included that $13.5M preview). The box office for It would be even higher if the Houston and Florida markets weren’t affected by two of this nation’s strongest hurricanes on record. Florida alone accounts for roughly 5% to 6% of the nation’s box office receipts and about half or more of that state is shut down due to Hurricane Irma.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

'Huge success' would be putting it lightly. WOW!

zSSyDGM.png

They are predicting a very heavy drop Sunday as well based on previous Horror films. Yet it is not playing like previous horror films this film does have a chance to beat Deadpool this weekend if it loses only 16 percent of yesterday's take compared to the 50 percent they are predicting. I think there might be a pleasant surprise tomorrow once all numbers are in

Saw it today with my wife and we both liked it.  She hadn't seen the original and was blown away by the story.  I thought it was a good remake but I liked the original much better.  I'm sure its partly due to me changing over the years but it just did not have the sense of dred and scary factor of the original.  Stuff that was left up to the imagination in the original was shown in gory detail in the remake.  Penny Wise was great but once again not as scary as the original.  Still a good B+ movie but the original was a fantastic A.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:35 PM, Straw-Man said:

i'll take it over full metal jacket; second half loses me a bit after the sublime boot camp act I.

The "me love you long time" girl is DEFINITELY the most-quoted part of that film and probably more memorable than what I agree is a scintillating first hour of that film.  I still love Vincent D'Onofrio because of that role.

On 9/10/2017 at 3:03 AM, reddwarf666222 said:
On 9/10/2017 at 1:34 AM, Darkowl said:

Tim Curry has a cameo? When? Are you referring to the Pennywise clown doll?

In the room full of clowns

The homage to the Tim Curry-style clown was in the trailer--he's just to the left of the new Pennywise:

pennywiseittimcurry-1024x486.jpg

Overall a very good movie...solid.  No, IT's not the scariest of Stephen King's movies (The Shining still takes that spot) but IT had IT's moments.  The kid actors were fantastic.

I also think this movie benefits greatly from the lack of good movies out right now.  There literally isn't anything else worth seeing.  I'll give IT an 8.0.

***The original Pennywise is still the one that gives me nightmares

Loved the movie, but did have a question about the ending...

Spoiler

When the crew enters the room where Beverly is floating, they're able to drag her down and revive her.  Does that mean that all the kids that are floating can be revived?  And if so, is Georgie up there?  I assume that the Georgie that Bill talks to in that scene is just Pennywise in disguise, as he transforms into Pennywise after Bill shoots him.  So, is the real Georgie floating?  Can he be revived like Beverly?  The movie suggests that the answer is no, as it's in that scene that Bill finally accepts the death of his little brother, and the rest of the crew comforts him, but how do they know he's not floating?

12 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The homage to the Tim Curry-style clown was in the trailer--he's just to the left of the new Pennywise:

pennywiseittimcurry-1024x486.jpg

Isn't that different than a Tim Curry cameo? I mean, hes not really in it. That's my favorite scene, btw!

Finally got my moviepass card, and used it to watch IT tonight.

I guess I've just gotten too used to modern scare/jolt flicks, and didn't really find the scares very original, nor all that scary. I kept thinking about house of mystery/secrets, with the old well house.

That being said, it shined in the characters, which is IMO, king's real forte.  I also can't help but thinking that the sequel has been set of for 1988+30 years later = 2018 release. That will be cool.

Also, found it kind of trippy and ironic that one of the main kids was from Stranger Things. Certain points felt like I was watching a sequel (which in itself was much of a homage to King and other 80s creations).

Edited by bronze_rules

23 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Finally got my moviepass card, and used it to watch IT tonight.

I guess I've just gotten too used to modern scare/jolt flicks, and didn't really find the scares very original, nor all that scary. I kept thinking about house of mystery/secrets, with the old well house.

That being said, it shined in the characters, which is IMO, king's real forte.  I also can't help but thinking that the sequel has been set of for 1988+30 years later = 2018 release. That will be cool.

Also, found it kind of trippy and ironic that one of the main kids was from Stranger Things. Certain points felt like I was watching a sequel (which in itself was much of a homage to King and other 80s creations).

I agree that some of the scares in the film werent that scary, but the opening scene and projector scene are some of the most original and scariest scenes in any horror movie I've ever watched. 

Edited by Darkowl