• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's IT (9/8/17)
1 1

171 posts in this topic

Box Office: Stephen King's 'It' Is Already Among The Biggest-Grossing Scary Movies Ever

Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s It had a terrific hold in its fourth weekend, earning $17.3 million (-42%) and bringing its 24-day total to $291.183m. It'll pass The Sixth Sense ($292m in 1999) in a day or two to become the biggest scary movie ever in North America (not accounting for inflation) save for Jurassic Park ($402m) and Jurassic World ($623m). And that ridiculously small 42% fourth-weekend drop, even with two big R-rated actioners in the marketplace, show further evidence that the film is playing as an adult horror film and as a teen "rites of passage" first R-rated horror flick. It should pass $300m domestic sometime next weekend. And with a record-crushing $11.6m debut in Germany (to paraphrase Norm McDonald, Germans love Pennywise!), It has earned $$553.1m worldwide thus far.

That already makes it the eighth-biggest R-rated movie of all time worldwide, behind only Fifty Shades of Grey ($571 million), The Hangover part II ($586m), Passion of the Christ ($611m), Logan ($620m), The Matrix Revolutions ($742m), Deadpool ($783m) and the $870m+ Wolf Warrior 2 (technically unrated, but it’s not getting a PG-13 even if they change all that blood to sweat). And in terms of global grosses for even somewhat scary movies (I'm being generous), it sits behind only Jurassic World ($1.6 billion), Jurassic Park ($1b), Gravity ($723m), The Sixth Sense ($692m), The Lost World: Jurassic Park ($618m), War of the Worlds ($592m), I Am Legend ($585m) and Kong: Skull Island ($566m). You may say Kong and Gravity don't count, but I'm sure the studio beyond those won't care too much.

11 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Strange as it may be, this movie could pass Spider-Man: Homecoming domestically.

Stephen King is one of the last superstar writers. Stephen King is like a franchise similar to Tom Clancy and Michael Crichton , so it doesn't surprise me IT would beat Spider-Man domestically,now internationally that could be another story.

I'm sure y'all saw that when the actuals came out, It actually came in second, beaten by Kingsman 2 by less than $36,000.

First time in awhile I've seen such deviation between Sunday projections and weekend actuals in terms of the top 3.

Kingsman 2 was estimated to have come in third behind It (# 1) and American Made (# 2). 

All three movies ultimately finished within ~$160,000 of each other.

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm sure y'all saw that when the actuals came out, It actually came in second, beaten by Kingsman 2 by less than $36,000.

First time in awhile I've seen such deviation between Sunday projections and weekend actuals in terms of the top 3.

Kingsman 2 was estimated to have come in third behind It (# 1) and American Made (# 2). 

All three movies ultimately finished within ~$160,000 of each other.

I am surprised American Made didn't do better at the box office, as from what I am hearing it's Tom Cruise's best movie in a long-time.

On 10/3/2017 at 6:07 PM, reddwarf666222 said:

Cruise is old and the younger age group don't really know who he is

I saw it, and it was a very good movie, but I don't think there was anyone in the audience under 40.

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

I saw it, and it was a very good movie, but I don't think there was anyone in the audience under 40.

That is kind of my point. It's like walk into a Meryl Streep film and look at the audience all the matinees will sell out, but the evening shows wont be packed. The matiness will be mostly filled with people 60 and over.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The old IT on Spike today,while today is Stephen King movie day on AMC.

Absolutely dying to show you my Halloween news article, I wrote for this year.

Think Stephen King meets Sleepy Hollow.

Not sure who is going to publish it until Tuesday, as I submitted it too late at about 3pm yesterday.

But all the proofreaders think it's a very clever news piece. The buzz is amazing.

It'll make you want to visit the NH site for Halloween. I even have a follow-up scheduled for April! lol 

#vintagenewenglandgothic