• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
22 22

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,268 posts in this topic

Skull & Bones...

Nice book Keith! (thumbs u (also liked the Witchcraft #3 with the spiders)

(how come the picture of the comic doesn't show up when I use the "quote" button to reply??

Odd. Strange things are afoot... :eek:

btw- thanks for the compliments. :)

Can anyone deny the classic goodness of this cover??!! (shrug)

I love the look on the guys face!

That's almost certainly a paste-up cover, isn't it? It looks like a kid playing with Colorforms to me.

Can anyone ID where the two characters are swiped from?

Jack

Can anyone deny the classic goodness of this cover??!! (shrug)

I love the look on the guys face!

That's almost certainly a paste-up cover, isn't it? It looks like a kid playing with Colorforms to me.

Can anyone ID where the two characters are swiped from?

Jack

AC Hollingsworth signed it. I don't know if he swiped these or not, though I agree the proportions are, shall we say, "off."

Here's the Kelly Freas cover, which I think it is safe to say is NOT a cut&paste job. hm

47708-wcraft5.jpg.7347e4840e488cd3b82566b99ccd8d2e.jpg

Kelly Freas cover, which I think it is safe to say is NOT a cut&paste job

:gossip: Actually it is a cut & paste job. Kelly confirmed that someone cut up his art (or a photostat) in the creation of the cover. That's why you see a white background above the pile of bones and behind the two main figures. I haven't heard if anyone knows why this was done as it's a great cover and hard to imagine that there would have been some problem with the background.

Got this from a forum member a little while back and finally got around to scanning it.

Freaking love it.

WeirdTerror5cgc80-August19522.jpg

Ah, when Heck could draw :cloud9: Beautiful copy :applause:

He sure could draw those horror covers. This is the Beth copy and was graded 8.0. I love it and its not going anywhere. Will be displaying it at next years Halloween party.

Got this from a forum member a little while back and finally got around to scanning it.

Freaking love it.

WeirdTerror5cgc80-August19522.jpg

Ah, when Heck could draw :cloud9: Beautiful copy :applause:

He sure could draw those horror covers. This is the Beth copy and was graded 8.0. I love it and its not going anywhere. Will be displaying it at next years Halloween party.

Sweet copy Buck....thanks for posting it. Personally, I always liked Don Heck's stuff. I know he has taken somewhat of a beating here on the boards, but his Avengers stuff always appealed to me.

I need to post some books one of these days myself. :shy:

Scott

:gossip: Actually it is a cut & paste job. Kelly confirmed that someone cut up his art (or a photostat) in the creation of the cover. That's why you see a white background above the pile of bones and behind the two main figures. I haven't heard if anyone knows why this was done as it's a great cover and hard to imagine that there would have been some problem with the background.

Great info as always! Did not know that! Although by cut & paste job, I was trying to imply that Freas didn't "swipe" the subjects from other sources. ;)

Great info as always! Did not know that! Although by cut & paste job, I was trying to imply that Freas didn't "swipe" the subjects from other sources. ;)

I knew you meant that but it was such coincidence given the history of that cover. Freas was an original talent and it's too bad that his work in comics was limited to one cover. :(

I knew you meant that but it was such coincidence given the history of that cover. Freas was an original talent and it's too bad that his work in comics was limited to one cover. :(

I knew you knew that I knew... :baiting::grin:

Total agreement. I would have loved to be able to see more horror covers. Do you know why he never managed to do more comic covers? (shrug)

I knew you knew that I knew... :baiting::grin:

Total agreement. I would have loved to be able to see more horror covers. Do you know why he never managed to do more comic covers? (shrug)

No I don't but I wouldn't be surprised if he received better offers from paperbacks, Mad magazine etc.