• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

I've been trying to slow down with picking up books until I've read through the stack I've already purchased, but it ain't going so well! :insane:

Horrific #2

My first Horrific book, my first book from Dale Roberts, and a purchase from my first trip to Heroes Con this year! With all those firsts, I should of gotten a copy of issue #1 instead, huh?

Hey Christian, I showed this to you briefly at the Creature-Con but it is page

26 from your Horrific #2 comic. My first pre-code original art. :cloud9:

horrific2page.jpg

That cover reminds me very much of the work the Iger shop did for Ajax and Superior. Sounds like a fun issue. (thumbs u

Good eyes! The first 3 issues of HORRIFIC are filled with Iger Shop stories! The first two HORRIFIC covers are Iger Shop as well, but #3 goes with the classic Don Heck "bullet in the head" cover.

I love those Don Heck covers!! :banana:

Which War Fury (hope that's right) issue was Horrific # 3 pasted from?? (shrug)

That cover reminds me very much of the work the Iger shop did for Ajax and Superior. Sounds like a fun issue. (thumbs u

Good eyes! The first 3 issues of HORRIFIC are filled with Iger Shop stories! The first two HORRIFIC covers are Iger Shop as well, but #3 goes with the classic Don Heck "bullet in the head" cover.

linky

I've been trying to slow down with picking up books until I've read through the stack I've already purchased, but it ain't going so well! :insane:

Horrific #2

My first Horrific book, my first book from Dale Roberts, and a purchase from my first trip to Heroes Con this year! With all those firsts, I should of gotten a copy of issue #1 instead, huh?

horrific2page.jpg

Definitely Iger shop art -- very nice, Flee! :applause:

linky

Thanks! (thumbs u

Horrific #2

horrific2page.jpg

I remember that!! Beautiful artwork!

It's nice that the page alone tells a great part of the story. (thumbs u

High on my want list for a while, and at last, I can't believe I got it for guide!

CrimeSuspense23Fcgc.jpg

That George Evans could do one hell of a drawing!! As a draftsman, he was on par with the best of the EC artists. He also created some pretty intense covers like this one here.

Great looking book!!

Horrific #2

horrific2page.jpg

I remember that!! Beautiful artwork!

It's nice that the page alone tells a great part of the story. (thumbs u

Great page! Man, ya gotta love pre-code. The villagers sleep soundly but Mr. Penn still takes the unnecessary risk of carrying a dead body down a well lit main street! loldoh!

High on my want list for a while, and at last, I can't believe I got it for guide!

That's one "L" of a book! :applause:

I now have 9 "L" books. This one and the Vault #s 35 and 39 are at the top of the heap. Love those Ls!

"Startling Terror" #14

Another wicked cool L.B. Cole cover. It has nothing on my Startling Terror #11 copy, my first Pre-Code original :cloud9:, but it's still an eye-catching book. This was a suprise pickup and a bit of a sad one too. I was in Gainesville Florida a few weeks ago for a complicated surgery on one of my Welsh Corgis and I wandered into a LCS near the hospital to take my mind off the sad day while I waited for her. The store had sports cards too and was filled with mostly moderns. Just as I lost hope for any GA horror, I saw this one on the wall. Its got a few bangs on it but its a solid copy with great color and supple pages. Must of been an import and not a Florida native book. I was going to pass when I saw the $65 price tag. The owner was very nice and ended up giving me the book for $30. Not a bad find to brighten up the rough week.

82354.jpg.d8b8469fe4d160cabe4d846ee23b6351.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

"The Thing!" #7

I finally broke down and picked this book up after hearing so many horrible things about it! (mostly from Shiverbones! :hi:)

It is my first Thing book and I gotta say it pretty much lived up to the hype. This cover is one of the most gruesome I have ever seen on a comic and I must say that I really didn't like it when I first saw it. However it is a book that has grown on me, and one I can't easily forget. I think Lou Morales is an amazing artist and that the Gorgon Lady's fingernails are embedded perfectly into those eye sockets! Probably in the top 5 best PreCode covers!

82355.jpg.19bce8106471a370cef588e92f21ff1f.jpg

Black Magic #17 and #20

Picked these up at the last Virtual Comic Convention. My first Black Magic books (aside from the 70's reprints) and they did not dissapoint. The thing I like best about these, other than having the King "Kirby"'s hand in it, was that these stories have a real different flavor than their neighboring books. I really like the bizarre storylines and the fact that many are based off of true accounts! Great books and I can't wait to pick up some more of these!

82356.jpg.cb6b56cf81addec80ffce47ea1a77d04.jpg

82357.jpg.4a6135ed0f9a044e85d58702021bfe64.jpg

"The Thing!" #7

I finally broke down and picked this book up after hearing so many horrible things about it! (mostly from Shiverbones! :hi:)

It is my first Thing book and I gotta say it pretty much lived up to the hype. This cover is one of the most gruesome I have ever seen on a comic and I must say that I really didn't like it when I first saw it. However it is a book that has grown on me, and one I can't easily forget. I think Lou Morales is an amazing artist and that the Gorgon Lady's fingernails are embedded perfectly into those eye sockets! Probably in the top 5 best PreCode covers!

It's definitely high on the list of "sick" covers! (thumbs u

"City Of The Living Dead"

I'm looking forward to picking up more of these Avon one-shot horror books. Nice thing that has been said about these is, buy the one book, and you've completed the series!

This is a great copy for a great price, with a hard-to-find book IMO. Off the boards from our very own Pinball!

82433.jpg.dd73123c317619490d19b03e249e3c82.jpg

Weird Terror #4

My first Comic Media book and first Don Heck cover. Courtesy of our own Shiverbones! (thumbs u

I really like Don Heck's art on these and the Horrific issues. I love the bold line and simplicity of these portrait style covers. Really effective!

82434.jpg.0a15d5d1829ae5ca0d94d6f644970fe3.jpg

"City Of The Living Dead"

I'm looking forward to picking up more of these Avon one-shot horror books. Nice thing that has been said about these is, buy the one book, and you've completed the series!

This is a great copy for a great price, with a hard-to-find book IMO. Off the boards from our very own Pinball!

That's one of my favorite Hollingsworth covers -- and the coloring quite nicely compliments the art. (thumbs u

...I really like Don Heck's art on these and the Horrific issues. I love the bold line and simplicity of these portrait style covers. Really effective!

Dare I say the Comic Media horror covers were some of his best work? :shy:

Not a new acquisition but it sure feels like it! :)

Ever misplace a book in your collection and it becomes "lost"?

You know you have it but you don't feel like going through boxes and boxes just to find that one book you know you have?

Well I finally came across this issue misplaced in with some moderns :eek: that I packed up about 4 years ago when I moved. Ahh, sweet reunion! :headbang:

StrangeSuspenseStories22.jpg