• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Not a new acquisition but it sure feels like it! :)

Ever misplace a book in your collection and it becomes "lost"?

You know you have it but you don't feel like going through boxes and boxes just to find that one book you know you have?

Well I finally came across this issue misplaced in with some moderns :eek: that I packed up about 4 years ago when I moved. Ahh, sweet reunion! :headbang:

StrangeSuspenseStories22.jpg

Congrats on the reunion!! :applause: A beauty of a book. Love those really wild colors...looks almost radioactive!! :sick::D

What sub category does this cover fall into? Is it "Pandora" or just "Box"? hm

High on my want list for a while, and at last, I can't believe I got it for guide!

CrimeSuspense23Fcgc.jpg

That George Evans could do one hell of a drawing!! As a draftsman, he was on par with the best of the EC artists. He also created some pretty intense covers like this one here.

Great looking book!!

Very nice pickup......Guide for an 8.0 is a great deal

T

Not a new acquisition but it sure feels like it! :)

Ever misplace a book in your collection and it becomes "lost"?

You know you have it but you don't feel like going through boxes and boxes just to find that one book you know you have?

Well I finally came across this issue misplaced in with some moderns :eek: that I packed up about 4 years ago when I moved. Ahh, sweet reunion! :headbang:

StrangeSuspenseStories22.jpg

Congrats on the reunion!! :applause: A beauty of a book. Love those really wild colors...looks almost radioactive!! :sick::D

What sub category does this cover fall into? Is it "Pandora" or just "Box"? hm

it falls into the Missing thumb tip genre. :)

Glad you found it! That happens to me all the time to because of moving so often!

...it falls into the Missing thumb tip genre. :)

Ha! Never noticed that before! Does it have something to do with an interior story, perhaps? (shrug)

Like maybe his missing thumb tips are in that box? hmlol

No, the box contains a more appropriate pre-code content! :devil:

This was just a design style Ditko used on the cover.

PS: note the guy's weird upside-down mustache too! :eek:

Worlds Of Fear #10

Another book from Shiverbones! (thumbs u This is one solid copy.

What more can be said about this classic?

-I love how Norman Saunders painted covers have lots of life and energy to them. Many painted covers I see tend to get caught up in rendering and sometimes become just a pretty picture. Saunders really keeps a nice sense of emotion and animation to his characters.

-Those white eye sockets are pretty weird huh? Wonder how they would look if they were black-dark gray....Although the white sockets as they are give the appearance of solid bone, as if the dude never had any eyes...

-Having the figure on a diagnol, adds to the tension.

-Anyone else reminded of the Raiders of the Ark scene with the giant boulder?

82465.jpg.402878e091de8549883eb8b27016325f.jpg

Totally a great cover but I never was sure if this guy was a pre-code victim or villain. hm

I'd say maybe both! The story relating to the eyeballs was a weird one. It definitely had a confusing ending....Oh well! It was probably a rush job!

Chamber Of Chills #24

Got this beat up copy off the bay for a pretty good deal. Just under $30. Its a solid book with wear but the pages are nice and its held together real solid! This is a tough book to find in a decent grade from what I've heard. I put in a low bid and was suprised when I got it!

I've said it before, Lee Elias is becoming one of my favorite PreCode Ink slingers! Definitely in my top 5! This cover rocks!! :headbang:

Disgusting Pre-Code Fingernails... :cloud9:

82522.jpg.af54f440ba161347fbf72eea601da46c.jpg

Journey Into Fear #14

Got this book along with the Chamber Of Chills #24. I put in another low bid and was surprised to of gotten it for just under $15. My first Superior book and it has some very strange stories. None of them were easy to predict and I loved that! I've heard this and other great things about Superior form the TTTTT books and from this thread. I am only one issue in, but I will be putting more on the want list.

Jury Of The Undead... :cloud9:

82523.jpg.4fa9ee12fddf3bef190074e5ded64e0b.jpg

None of them were easy to predict and I loved that! I've heard this and other great things about Superior form the TTTTT books and from this thread. I am only one issue in, but I will be putting more on the want list.

Superiors rock! :headbang:

Unless you've read the "other guys" and then actually sit down to read Superiors it's hard to understand why and really impossible to explain to someone else. They're different -- in a good way.

None of them were easy to predict and I loved that! I've heard this and other great things about Superior form the TTTTT books and from this thread. I am only one issue in, but I will be putting more on the want list.

Unless you've read the "other guys" and then actually sit down to read Superiors it's hard to understand why and really impossible to explain to someone else. They're different -- in a good way.

Superior!

If Jayman is lurking about today I'll expect him to post his Superior logo... :wishluck:

Superior!

If Jayman is lurking about today I'll expect him to post his Superior logo... :wishluck:

:shy:

82536.jpg.c455634bd9e08582e8a46cdeecb4e9e5.jpg

Nice books Jayman!! :applause:

I too have that sub collection of giant spider covers going. There are a ton of them!!

Here's my list. Can you add any?

Ace Web Of Mystery #8

ACG Adventures into the Unknown #33

Atlas Adventures Into Terror #15

Atlas Marvel Tales #105

Atlas Uncanny Tales #26

Avon Witchcraft #3

Harvey Witches Tales #12

Standard Out Of The Shadows #10

Star Publications Startling Terror Tales #11

Weird Comics #18

Chamber Of Chills #24

Got this beat up copy off the bay for a pretty good deal. Just under $30. Its a solid book with wear but the pages are nice and its held together real solid! This is a tough book to find in a decent grade from what I've heard. I put in a low bid and was suprised when I got it!

I've said it before, Lee Elias is becoming one of my favorite PreCode Ink slingers! Definitely in my top 5! This cover rocks!! :headbang:

Disgusting Pre-Code Fingernails... :cloud9:

One of my favorites, and a Gerber no-show for some reason. Here is my copy, picked up from Motor City a couple of years ago. Hadn't seen a nice copy for sale before, and haven't see one since.

coc24.jpg

Nice books Jayman!! :applause:

I too have that sub collection of giant spider covers going. There are a ton of them!!

Here's my list. Can you add any?

Ace Web Of Mystery #8

ACG Adventures into the Unknown #33

Atlas Adventures Into Terror #15

Atlas Marvel Tales #105

Atlas Uncanny Tales #26

Avon Witchcraft #3

Harvey Witches Tales #12

Standard Out Of The Shadows #10

Star Publications Startling Terror Tales #11

Weird Comics #18

Ah......I can! You left out one of the best! My first PreCode book....

Startling Terror #11 :sick::headbang:

82548.jpg.3dacff419e97fcc77120cd95ff20d255.jpg