• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,228 posts in this topic

Bought this one as PCH prices were starting to "boom." This was a Mid-Ohio Con purchase- one of the worst Mid-Ohio's from my perspective - can't recall the year. This was graded at Fine by Vincen'ts Collectibles and asking price was $100. tongue.gif

931065-monster.jpg

931065-monster.jpg.ed65a26f6e48dcd0a9027de2a10eca05.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

They always have it the weekend of Thanksgiving. Going? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it worth checking out? How many dealers attend?

I try to go every year, but doesn't always work out. I go more for meeting creators and getting sketches these days as opposed to buying books. There was a sea of PCH last year- most all of it WAY overpriced. I walked away with only 2 PCH books and the rest was all bronze age. If you can make it to Chicago or San Dog I wouldn't bother with this one unless you don't have high expectations. crazy.gif

Very nice copy! I think the story title "The Clutching Hand" is a hoot, not for anything it may imply, but because it was also used as a series title by another publisher. This "coincidence" happened quite frequently with PCH & it always brings a smile to my face when I notice it... yay.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Was it a series or was it a 1-shot? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

And another bit of CLUTCHING HAND trivia - I do not believe the publisher (ACG) is mentioned in the book. Keith - can you confirm the indicia?

And another bit of CLUTCHING HAND trivia - I do not believe the publisher (ACG) is mentioned in the book. Keith - can you confirm the indicia?

ACG certainly tried to hide their affiliation to this one. The indicia indicates "Best Syndicate" as the publishing group, however a few lines later the reader is told for advertising information to contact ACG. 27_laughing.gif

Given their expectancy of possible advertisers, I'd say they were testing the more extreme waters & planning on possible future issues. gossip.gif

Some of these covers are plain crazy!

Did that Chauffeur just steal a bag of money from the "Bat Cafe" to buy himself a standard black uniform instead of that tired old green one? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, he is running from the guard wolf while the dominatrix whips her elderly client. screwy.gif

Purchased from the somewhat infamous dealer Ken Danker in late 1997.....

acclaim.gif

933285-mc.jpg

That Monster Crime is on the high end of my want listy. Looks like the domina has a larger stable, as these two new guys are here to help in this Hillman 15cent companion book! Although the guy with the Moe Howard haricut in Crime Must Stop may well be the green-clothed chauffeur in Monster Crime! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

crimemuststop.jpg

Some of these covers are plain crazy!

Did that Chauffeur just steal a bag of money from the "Bat Cafe" to buy himself a standard black uniform instead of that tired old green one? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, he is running from the guard wolf while the dominatrix whips her elderly client. screwy.gif

Looks like the chauffeur is holding the bag with a Clutching Hand. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pov, that Crime Must Stop has a great cover! I Never see either of these pop up! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plus the "Quick Lime" written on the bag gives it that 'ol 1, 2, PUNCH! thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I also was looking at that bag of quicklime and thinking "what a nice touch!" yay.gif