• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

I love these covers especially the Haunt #12. In fact the scan of the Haunt is a book Im getting from Metroplolis hopefully next week (Northford 9.2 grade). The Chamber of Chills is one I own and picked up off ebay a few years ago. I would guess its 6.0. Its alwasy been one of my favorites and I was happy as hell to see it come up. Is this issue scarce ? I almost never see it on ebay.

-

haunt12northford.jpg

chills24.jpg

The Chamber of Chills #24 may be somewhat scarce - George Suarez in his Tales to Terrible to Tell pages noted his was a rag, and he was unable to find a better copy - pre-ebay of course. Also, if you consider your copy a 6.0, pretty strict grading - looks more F/VF to me from the scan.

Haunt 12 is one of my fave Ghastly covers, along with #17.

And Mysterious Adventures #16 was one of the toughest of the run for me to find, for whatever reason. I have it and the later House of Mystery issues - don't believe there's really any story similarity.

Saw that one but didn't want to infect this thread with too many BA books! insane.gif

especially Marvel Bronze Horror! smirk.gif

Amen brother!

But you know seeing the 3 books side by side, one can only appreciate the pre-codes even more. Take a look how the color pallet changes from deep, rich atmospheric color in the MA book. Then to a muted, tri-tone (red/yellow/green) which is perfect to set the mood on the HOM book. To finally a day-glo color scheme for the CoS book with bright magenta and yellows that take away any sense of terror or menace the cover art might have had! foreheadslap.gif

I love these covers especially the Haunt #12. In fact the scan of the Haunt is a book Im getting from Metroplolis hopefully next week (Northford 9.2 grade). The Chamber of Chills is one I own and picked up off ebay a few years ago. I would guess its 6.0. Its alwasy been one of my favorites and I was happy as hell to see it come up. Is this issue scarce ? I almost never see it on ebay.

-

hey Ghastly! hi.gif

I would say "Welcome to the Boards!", but looks like you have been here a long time, just never post.

Anyway, that is one of my fave Graham Ingels covers, although I admire basically anything horror he did.

As for that CoC, well, I believe it to be one of the more tough books of the run. Harvey's generally are easy to get, & in fact I myself have had TWO copies (although neither in high grade), but it does seem to come up for sale alot less than other Harvey pch. However, I would not rank it as "scarce" by official Overstreet standards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks guys ! I have been lurking off and on. Ill probably post more now that Im getting back into pre-code books. I spent all day looking at the threads and all the scans and Im blown away ! Im glad there is a place to share scans of your books as for me thats half the joy of owning them is displaying them...i.e. humble braggin' rights 27_laughing.gif. Thanks again for the Welcome !

Hey all! hi.gif

Been away briefly because I graduated my program Thursday night, & my wife & I had had our first child Friday!

yay.gif

Pics to come!

Ah, the history this thread has seen! Now, back to it..... wink.gif

Hey all! hi.gif

Been away briefly because I graduated my program Thursday night, & my wife & I had had our first child Friday!

yay.gif

Pics to come!

Ah, the history this thread has seen! Now, back to it..... wink.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations on the new baby and also on the graduation day!

1148172-Ghosts.jpg

Thanks, Jay! I knew I could count on ya for a laugher! Great pic!

Did I mention I graduated Salutatorian? Pretty proud of that as well, but it is no comparison to being a first time father. wink.gif