• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,238 posts in this topic

I don't know if it was because I have such a disdain for "The Purple Claw" or what (probably sumo.gif), but I never had much interest in Toby/Minoan. Upon examining this one though, it is not too bad. crazy.gif

1225949-toh4.jpg

1225949-toh4.jpg.f4e4920e4fbb778ab12911a8a49160c3.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Just finished VoH Annual #2 and my favorite story is "Dying to Lose Weight!" from issue #18.

Synopsis:

In a small town populated by many fat people, a weird Dr. Perdo comes to town, offering to help those people through the use of a tiny weight-reducing capsule. The cost is $200. Four accept his offer....and the capsule works on them to perfection, and the town is sorry to see Dr. Perdo move on. But the four people continue to lose more and more weight. Until they suddenly die horrible deaths....as if they had starved to death. Six months later, Perdo happens to be passing through town again. But when he stops to get gas, he is recognized by the brother of one of the victims. While the brother goes to form a lynch mob, Perdo runs into the nearby cemetery to hide....and into the mausoleum of one of his victims....where he comes face-to-face with the thing that had killed his victims: a giant tapeworm!

Another very good story is "The Jellyfish!" from issue #19.

Wherein a businessman betrays his spineless brother and frames him for a crime he himself committed. But the brother returns after serving several years in prison and gets his revenge. For while the brother (a chemist) was in prison, he has worked on a secret formula that instantly disolves calcium. That's right... he turns his conniving brother into a human jellyfish! And then steps on him.

Keep 'em coming! thumbsup2.gif

Very well.

I'm up to the actual issue I own now (#26). I'm finding my favorite stories in terms of art are hosted by the Old Witch. So I guess you can count me as newest member of the "Ghastly" Graham Ingels fanclub. His style of art just lends itself so well to illustrating horror stories.

In fact, my favorite from this annual is the Old Witch story from issue #25. And it is very appropos for you completionist-minded comic collectors. wink.gif

1233027-VoH25_CollectionCompleted.JPG

Synopsis:

Anita had always loved animals and one day she saw a stray cat and brought it in to feed, but Jonah didn't approve of her habit of taking in every stray animal she came across. Anita tells her husband that he should get a hobby.

1233030-VoH25_CollectionCompletedHobby.JPG

So to get even at Anita, Jonah starts his new hobby......... taxidermy. And he informs his wife that his first "patient" was going to be the mouse running around their home. He caught it, stuffed it, then went outside to lure a squirrel, then a bird, and then a dog to practice his craft on. Anita screamed at him until she was blue in the face, but it did no good. One day Jonah came to her and said that his collection of stuffed animals was almost complete....he smiled and left. Later, Anita kept calling the cat she'd taken in as a pet, then, when it couldn't be found, realized what her husband had meant. Running to the basement, she found the cat freshly stuffed. With a crazed look in her eye, she turned toward Jonah, knife in hand, and told him that his collection still lacked one more thing. The next day, a neighbor found Anita in the basement, babbling incoherently, stroking her stuffed cat, and sitting next to.....her stuffed husband!

The Old Witch: "Hee, hee! Yep, Anita completed Jonah's collection for him... by making him a part of it!"

There's also a very well-illustrated Ingels story in #24 titled "... With All the Trappings!" about a fur trapper who keeps his dead wife in their ice house until he can save up for a metal vault because he can't stand the thought of her being worm food. Alas, one of his trapped animals, that chewed it's leg off to get free, finds it's way to a local food source... one hidden inside an ice house.

.....Anita had always loved animals and one day she saw a stray cat and brought it in to feed, but Jonah didn't approve of her habit of taking in every stray animal she came across. Anita tells her husband that he should get a hobby.

Yeah, I loved that one when they did it on HBO's TFTC. thumbsup2.gif

Oh man! Can you say "Ray Bradbury RIP OFF!" 893whatthe.gif

While he may have eventrually gotten paid for his EC "work," you KNOW the poor guy didn't see a penny for this one... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1233258-toh7.jpg

1233258-toh7.jpg.7d571a22d3784211492c7c5216bbeec9.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Trivia! Can anyone name the Ray Bradbury story that the above issue ripped off? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

First correct answer gets an HCR 'no prize." popcorn.gif

"The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" [also called “The Fog Horn”]

.....Anita had always loved animals and one day she saw a stray cat and brought it in to feed, but Jonah didn't approve of her habit of taking in every stray animal she came across. Anita tells her husband that he should get a hobby.

Yeah, I loved that one when they did it on HBO's TFTC. thumbsup2.gif

Great episode! One of my favorites. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I liked how she gave the bulldog her husband's name. 27_laughing.gif

Trivia! Can anyone name the Ray Bradbury story that the above issue ripped off? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

First correct answer gets an HCR 'no prize." popcorn.gif

"The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" [also called “The Fog Horn”]

Congrats! Look for this in your mailbox soon:

Thanks for playing! hi.gif

Tales of Terror #1 !!!

Minoan reportedly had to change the title because of Bill Gaines at EC. Minoan may have been able to rip off Ray Bradbury, but be damned if Bill Gaines was going to let them rip off EC! (anyone else see the irony?) gossip.gif

Oh yeah, there is also "Weird Mysteries" & "Unseen" on the cover. I bow to this sheer number of title swipage. hail.gif

1261753-ToT1.jpg

1261753-ToT1.jpg.e83a244f5598cab6cba45182538ac355.jpg

Edited by precodekeith

Tales of Terror #1 !!!

Minoan reportedly had to change the title because of Bill Gaines at EC. Minoan may have been able to rip off Ray Bradbury, but be damned if Bill Gaines was going to let them rip off EC! (anyone else see the irony?) gossip.gif

Oh yeah, there is also "Weird Mysteries" & "Unseen" on the cover. I bow to this sheer number of title swipage. hail.gif

1261753-ToT1.jpg

Not much terror going on in this cover but it has the mood of a classic 1940 b/w Universal horror movie! I like! thumbsup2.gif